(Archived) Mac 3.0.4 RC

Guest awilde

Idea

20 replies to this idea

This problem is still not solved in 3.0.4. :) It's incredibly frustrating to only get a partial match to a search query. The worst thing is that if it's a compound search (e.g., more than one tag being searched), there's no way to know if any notes are missing from the results. In a simple tag search it's obvious because the number of notes with that tag is different from the number of notes in the search results. It renders the whole application practically useless. Imagine at the end of the year running a search for tag:tax and tag:2011 and getting most of the notes, but not all of them. Pretty bad, right?

It sounds like an indexing problem. Could you PM me your ticket number and I'll re-investigate. I'm surprised it hasn't been resolved

Still not resolved. I'm using 3.0.6.

• Level 5*

I anticipate the last beta to be approximately the same as the RC. If we're still very buggy by the last beta, we're probably not ready for an RC. If they end up being unsuitable for you, PM me.

Seems like a reasonable compromise.

Thanks for listening. Much appreciated.

I anticipate the last beta to be approximately the same as the RC. If we're still very buggy by the last beta, we're probably not ready for an RC. If they end up being unsuitable for you, PM me.

• Level 5*

I always thought "RC" meant "Release Candidate".

Seems like you could release the RCs via the beta process to take care of your beta testers, as well as get final verification that all of the Beta bugs were fixed.

If the RC ends up being the GA, then fine, no problem or confusion for me.

At least this way your Beta testers don't have to wait for the Apple approval time.

If you don't release the RC via the Beta update, I for one will probably drop out of beta testing -- can't risk being stuck with a buggy Beta for a long time.

Yes sorry, GA is General Availability. That's the public release that goes out to people who aren't on the beta track. RC stands for release client. Ideally the RC turns into the GA without any changes. In the real world there may be some changes or multiple RC's

The change in the release process addresses some internal issues, as well as the issue of having two different builds for the same version. This way the AppStore and our site are synchronized. Having them unsynchronized causes some support headaches, and is confusing some users.

Usually the last beta we release is fairly bug free. I'll continue to keep that tradition alive.

• Level 5*

Sorry about the confusion, I'll try to clarify all of your points.

Thanks for the reply. This does help some, but I think now having 3 sources for updates is going to cause more confusion.

So if you try out an RC and then update to a GA, there shouldn't be any difference.

What is "GA"? Haven't seen that term before.

By the way, a good writing practice is to define all acronyms the first time you use them (or provide link).

• Because we're not having RC's act as betas, this won't come up in Help > Check for Updates. Again, we're trying to avoid having users update to this and then update to the public release and have no change.

I don't think I like your new process:

1. The current/old process seems to have been working fine for a long time.
  2. I have not seen anyone complain about no changes between the last RC and the public release
  3. Seems like this could delay the release of bug fixes to those who have opted-in for the "Beta" updates.
  4. So now we could have a buggy Beta that the RC would fix, but we have to wait for the formal release -- not good.
  5. Also, if you are going to wait on the public release online until the Apple App Store has approved it, this will add more delays -- very bad.

There's an old saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ;)

I for one would prefer that you keep the release process the way it was.

This is very confusing!

I cannot find any way to update to 3.0.4

• You state "posting the link here" yet I do not see a link anywhere in this thread
  • You state "skipping the beta", yet you name this version with "RC"
  • You state "had some sadness with the 3.0.3 submission to the App Store", yet it is NOT necessary to go through the Mac App store to update -- I never have.
  • I have tried Help > Check for Updates with and without the "Update to Beta" pref checked

Sorry about the confusion, I'll try to clarify all of your points.

• I think the forum timestamp was reflecting the original posted date and not the date of my edit. It took me about two hours to update the link (not seven, as timestamps might suggest). The link has been updated now, please let me know if there are any issues
  • We are skipping a beta. This RC is available via the link but not via the usual update within the app. Ion the past we've had release clients act as a "final beta" of sorts. We're going to change that and RC's will be usually be virtually the same as the public release. So if you try out an RC and then update to a GA, there shouldn't be any difference. Because of this, we aren't pushing this RC out to the auto-update stream. We'll try to limit the number of users who have an update that doesn't change anything (Especially users who don't frequent the forums).
    • For reference, not all RC's will be posted here, some might be internal RC's. We also may have more than one RC if we find any last minute bugs or run into other issues. So if you update to an RC and do see a difference than the GA, it would be because of a last minute issue coming up.

[*]Because we didn't get a 3.0.3 release out, we are trying to get 3.0.4 out as early as possible, especially with the US holidays coming up. We are also trying to synchronize updates/availability between the AppStore and our site. Because of this schedule, we are skipping the usual beta and going straight to an RC.

[*]Because we're not having RC's act as betas, this won't come up in Help > Check for Updates. Again, we're trying to avoid having users update to this and then update to the public release and have no change.

This problem is still not solved in 3.0.4. :wub: It's incredibly frustrating to only get a partial match to a search query. The worst thing is that if it's a compound search (e.g., more than one tag being searched), there's no way to know if any notes are missing from the results. In a simple tag search it's obvious because the number of notes with that tag is different from the number of notes in the search results. It renders the whole application practically useless. Imagine at the end of the year running a search for tag:tax and tag:2011 and getting most of the notes, but not all of them. Pretty bad, right?

It sounds like an indexing problem. Could you PM me your ticket number and I'll re-investigate. I'm surprised it hasn't been resolved

• Level 5*

The missing link is just one issue, and regardless of what you state, with a 6:19 am time stamp it is misleading.

This is just one of the several confusing and misleading posts in this thread that have caused me to waste my time, and I'm guessing that it may be the same for others.

metrodon, you can fall on your sword for EN if you wish. I will wait until someone from EN responds.

• Level 5*

We're skipping the beta on this one, just posting the link here. We had some sadness with the 3.0.3 submission to the App Store and we're trying to quickly get something released before that darn American turkey holiday thingy.

If we all is well, this will just become the next public release.

thanks!

This is very confusing!

I cannot find any way to update to 3.0.4

• You state "posting the link here" yet I do not see a link anywhere in this thread
  • You state "skipping the beta", yet you name this version with "RC"
  • You state "had some sadness with the 3.0.3 submission to the App Store", yet it is NOT necessary to go through the Mac App store to update -- I never have.
  • I have tried Help > Check for Updates with and without the "Update to Beta" pref checked

This problem is still not solved in 3.0.4. :) It's incredibly frustrating to only get a partial match to a search query. The worst thing is that if it's a compound search (e.g., more than one tag being searched), there's no way to know if any notes are missing from the results. In a simple tag search it's obvious because the number of notes with that tag is different from the number of notes in the search results. It renders the whole application practically useless. Imagine at the end of the year running a search for tag:tax and tag:2011 and getting most of the notes, but not all of them. Pretty bad, right?

We're skipping the beta on this one, just posting the link here. We had some sadness with the 3.0.3 submission to the App Store and we're trying to quickly get something released before that darn American turkey holiday thingy.

If we all is well, this will just become the next public release.

thanks!

Archived