(Archived) Feature Request: defined headings

Hi all,

I have another feature request. The current editor allows me to choose fonts, sizes and colors. This is very flexible but also slow to use. I rather would have a set of defined headers to choose from.

Heading 1

Heading 2

Heading 3

etc.

It can also include useful text templates like "fixed width" and quotes (indented, different background color, etc.)

Best,

Robert

• Level 5

Don't forget that EN does not want to be a writing tool or word processor. Countless apps are out there for this. Focus is on collecting and finding information fast.

By the way, you can easily achieve what you want: Drag a WORD file into a EN note. Click on the file (in EN) and WORD will open, do your writing or editing and save. EN will save your edited note.

Wern

• Level 5*

This functionality has been requested before (you can search the forums for that), and it would be useful, but I don't recall any Evernote staff commenting on the likelihood of it being implemented any time soon.

• 9 months later...

Don't forget that EN does not want to be a writing tool or word processor. Countless apps are out there for this. Focus is on collecting and finding information fast.

A focus on collecting information quickly would support meaningful styles. Setting the font and size of words and sentences is precisely the kind of word-processor fiddling Evernote isn't for. However, adding semantic meaning and structure quickly with styles and headings is.

By the way, you can easily achieve what you want: Drag a WORD file into a EN note. Click on the file (in EN) and WORD will open, do your writing or editing and save. EN will save your edited note.

Editing a Word document from Evernote does not easily achieve what he wants, especially since Evernote doesn't display the content of Word files. In fact, it's such a terrible suggestion that I can only assume that merely typing it made your fingers erupt into a punishing flame.

• 2 months later...

Fully agree with axehandle. Collecting information in notes for me means being able to use styles in order to give some structure and additional semantic to the note.

For instance, if I take notes in a class, I would likely want to format paragraphs containing quotes from my teacher differently from paragraphs that contain my own remarks or questions. Or as a computer administrator, I want to format commands that has to be input verbally on the command line differently from the explanations surrounding these commands. I also want to be able to quickly give a note some structure by marking headings and subheadings. By the way, MS OneNote also supports paragraph styles. It's not only in MS Word. For good reasons.

Archived