(Archived) UPDATE: Firefox Web Clipper Beta with bug fixes (5.0.0.204582)

jbignert

Hi all,

This beta version on Firefox Web Clipper should resolve at least 2 recent issues.

1) Close button conflict.

2) Conflicts with other extensions that broke the Web Clipper.

Note: Windows users will need to be on the latest client beta version 4.5.2.x to see the new preference under Tools > Clipping preference > Open clipped note in a new window.

Let us know if this resolves the recent issues we introduced.

Get it here:

http://www.evernote....aae1422674a6211

• Level 5

Did the upgrade, but am still frustrated that the previous options were yanked.

• The checkbox for Simplify Formatting is gone - have to go to the menu now
  • Changing the Notebook is more difficult

I don't see the improvement. This looks like two steps backwards.

Can't get any version of clipper (up to beta 5.0.0.204582) to work on FF8--button does nothing, same with all context menu options.

UPDATE: can confirm that disabling the DIIGO toolbar restores clipper function.

Bummed about:

1) conflict with DIIGO, which I depend on;

2) inability to tag and choose notebook immediately on clipping (*without* the entire note being opened in a window);

3) there is no clip selection option in the menu that appears when you hit the EN icon: and

4) on some pages (like this one!) context menu option Add to Evernote | Clip selection does *not* clip the selection; it clips the entire page.

• Level 5

Did the upgrade, but am still frustrated that the previous options were yanked.

• The checkbox for Simplify Formatting is gone - have to go to the menu now
  • Changing the Notebook is more difficult

I don't see the improvement. This looks like two steps backwards.

One more problem - clipping with the new clipper is very sluggish. It takes considerably longer to perform than the previous version.

I'm not sure if this is a web clipper problem, or an Evernote Desktop problem.

I now have Desktop 4.5.1.5432 installed. I also have FF Web Clipper Beta 5.0.0.204582.

After selecting some text, I click the Evernote button on my toolbar. I see a box in the bottom right corner stating "Processing clipped data" (or something like that), followed by "Notes added: 1."

I used to get a dialog box where I could enter tags, some additional notes, etc.

I've looked through the options on the Web Clipper extension, as well as the Desktop's Tools > Clipping Preferences, and I can't find anyway to restore the previous behavior. How do I accomplish that? ...thanks!

I am not getting anything when I try and use web clipper, either with toobar button or context menu. When I click them, nothing happens. Have checked my desktop version to make sure that the clip is not getting there, and there is nothing.

EN desktop: 4.5.0.5229

EN web clipper: 5.0.204582

Firefox: 8.0

Windows XP

@CarlAxel Thanks for the report and sorry for the inconvenience.

If you end up with the Web Clipper 'dead' then there is likely a conflict with another extension. In version 5.0.0.204582 we changed some things to make web Clipper less likely to break other extensions. However the reverse could be true and other extensions break Web Clipper.

If you experience this please try and disable other extensions 1-by-1 and see if there is a conflict. Historically we've had conflicts with Firebug, Read it Later.

• Level 5*

Hi all,

This beta version on Firefox Web Clipper should resolve at least 2 recent issues.

1) Close button conflict.

2) Conflicts with other extensions that broke the Web Clipper.

Note: Windows users will need to be on the latest client beta version 4.5.2.x to see the new preference under Tools > Clipping preference > Open clipped note in a new window.

Let us know if this resolves the recent issues we introduced.

Get it here:

http://www.evernote....aae1422674a6211

I just upgraded to FireFox 8 Mac, and the above Evernote FireFox Web Clipper (Beta).

The FireFox Evernote Extension was set to clip natively to my Mac desktop Evernote.

At first I had a problem with wrong fonts being displayed/clipped in some cases, like a clip from this forum.

The problem was fixed by creating/using a NEW FireFox Profile on my MacBook Air, running OS X Lion.

For more info see: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing-profiles

So far FF8 Mac and the EN Beta Clipper 5.0.0.204582 see to work OK, but I need to do more testing before I give it a full thumbs-up. :P

Hi,

I tried the above solutions but it's still not working.

May we have an urgent request to:

- Fix compatibility of evernote webclipper with Firefox 8.

- Option to restore to previous behaviour (i.e., to be able to assign tags and notebook from webclipper)

Thanks!

hi,

i like the new feature of saving the whole page or just an article with the new version of webclipper.

today i installed Version 3.0.4 (206275) for MAC and the webclipper for ff 8.x

it works, when i click the elephant in ff and select "ganze seite speichern" (save entire page?).

but if i click on "artikel speichern" (i assume: save post, or save article) the clipper just saves the first post, regardless if i'm on this forum or any other board.

i whiched/and assumed, that if i focus the cursor i.e. in the 3rd post/article, en would save exactly that article/post. but it seems thats not the case :-)

so can anybody please explain to me, how this feature works?

cheers,

so can anybody please explain to me, how this feature works?

Article selection is inexact. Most times it works well, but, depending on the website (such as this forum) it fails to select what you would like to clip. In that case you have to cancel the clip by clicking anywhere on the page outside the clipper dialog and then explicitly selecting what you want to clip.

how can i make the webclipper NOT to bring EN in front, if i clip a webpage in ff?

No way that I know of when clipping to desktop client. This does not happen when clipping to web.

Did not fix my stuck "uploading unsaved clips". Apparently a previous clip is stuck. When I clip new pages or articles, they get processed. However I'm consistantly seeing "1" unsaved clip.

It would be great to be able to see these and clear them up.

Ditto. Needed to exit restart FF to clear flag.

Did not fix my stuck "uploading unsaved clips". Apparently a previous clip is stuck. When I clip new pages or articles, they get processed. However I'm consistantly seeing "1" unsaved clip.

It would be great to be able to see these and clear them up.

Me too. Must be some web clipping, never worked? How can I clear it?

Clear cache, clear cookies - no good. (*) Don't want to switch to another profile. Just seems, too much of a headache.

explicitly selecting what you want to clip.

Thanks for explaining the not so obvious for me :-)

selecting some text on a webpage does work sometimes, but sometime not.

here is such a webpage where selecting text only shows "clip whole page" and "note url" and, thus shown, webclipper does clip the whole page instead of the selected text.

i open the page in firefox, then click the tab "TV, Audio & Video" and then select some text (as shown here: http://www.bilder-ho...cyg-1g-2838.png)

if i select just some words, it works as expected. strange (for me)...

I was able to reproduce this problem in Chrome (which was slighlty complicated by auto-translate from German to English). Exit restart of browser and reselect and clip worked.

I have seen intermittent examples of this problem (elements selected but clip selection not available) in both Firefox and Chrome. Exit restart of browser and reselect and clip usually works to get around problem.

I have also seen sites which are impossible to clip other than url. These are usually Flash sites (e.g. HBO). If I really need clips from those sites I resort to screenshots.

I am not getting anything when I try and use web clipper, either with toobar button or context menu. When I click them, nothing happens. Have checked my desktop version to make sure that the clip is not getting there, and there is nothing.

EN desktop: 4.5.0.5229

EN web clipper: 5.0.204582

Firefox: 8.0

Windows XP

Do you have DIIGO toolbar running? If so, try disabling it. Worked for me, and for several others.

Evernote web clipper and Firefox 8.0 (Mac)

The Evernote web clipper that is available on the Firefox addon web page (i.e. 5.0.0.204582) works with Firefox 8.0 but not 8.01. I downloaded Firefox 8.0 from ftp://ftp.mozilla.or...8.0/mac/en-US/. After the download, you need to disconnect from the internet, install and open Firefox and then go to preferences/advanced/updates to turn off Firefox automatic updates (otherwise the browser automatically updates to Firefox 8.01). After connecting back to the internet, go to Firefox addons and install the Evernote web clipper. As far as I can tell everything works properly in Firefox 8.0. Hope that helps.

• Level 5*
Evernote web clipper and Firefox 8.0 (Mac) The Evernote web clipper that is available on the Firefox addon web page works with Firefox 8.0 but not 8.01.

Well, this is quite unbelievable!

It is hard to believe that a minor update like a ".01" would break anything, but I really don't know.

I hope Evernote realizes that FF Mac is the primary browser for many Mac users, and that EN needs to be proactive in ensuring the EN Mac client works.

IMO, if EN is NOT testing the EN FF Clipper against the FF beta releases, they should.

I've loaded the beta extension on FFox 8.0, and it seems to be working.

I'm still seeing the behavior I reported earlier in this thread. In the past, when I selected part of a page and then clicked the Evernote icon to clip, I would then get a dialog box that gave me an opportunity to enter tags and choose the notebook where I wanted the clip to be sent. Now, the clip occurs and is sent directly to Evernote (desktop) without any chance to set tags, and I have to switch over to Evernote desktop to enter the tags (and move to other notebooks, if needed).

Can we get the old functionality back?

Seems a little slowish (could be FF, could be my tabs), but everything's working fine on this FF 8.01/Mac.

Chrome still operates this way. Many of the changes we've been making to the clippers are to keep up with browser iterations, where a much loved feature becomes unworkable because of a change with the browser, rather than with Evernote.

Seems a little slowish (could be FF, could be my tabs), but everything's working fine on this FF 8.01/Mac.

Chrome still operates this way. Many of the changes we've been making to the clippers are to keep up with browser iterations, where a much loved feature becomes unworkable because of a change with the browser, rather than with Evernote.

As does FF when clipping to the web. There is an option on Windows client Tools -> Clipping preferences to "Open clipped note in a new window". Check for a similar option in the Mac client (I don't use Mac so can't check myself).

Many of the changes we've been making to the clippers are to keep up with browser iterations, where a much loved feature becomes unworkable because of a change with the browser, rather than with Evernote.

But isn't the pop-up a feature of the clipper, not the browser?

I just triple-checked my clipping preferences in the desktop (4.5.1.5432 (194665) Public). I have "Clip Destination" set to "Specify Clip Destination," and under "Clipping Options," both "Keep only the basic formatting" and "Do not show the 'New Clip' dialog" are unchecked.

As does FF when clipping to the web. There is an option on Windows client Tools -> Clipping preferences to "Open clipped note in a new window". Check for a similar option in the Mac client (I don't use Mac so can't check myself).

Nada. Plus I think emkay's specific request is to enter all of the note info in the clipper pop up options, without having to open the desktop editor. I'm not a windows user, but wouldn't those options just open up a new Evernote note window?

But isn't the pop-up a feature of the clipper, not the browser?

I'm not a developer, so I can't speak with 100% accuracy on the extent of the impacts, but the clipper is still operating on, or within, the browser, so it's going to be affected by browser changes. That's why changes from FF can impact our extension.

There is an option on Windows client Tools -> Clipping preferences to "Open clipped note in a new window". Check for a similar option in the Mac client (I don't use Mac so can't check myself).

I don't use a Mac, either, but on the PC, there's an option in the most current release version of the Windows client clipping preferences: "Do not show the 'New Clip' dialog." I have it unchecked.

Nada. Plus I think emkay's specific request is to enter all of the note info in the clipper pop up options, without having to open the desktop editor. I'm not a windows user, but wouldn't those options just open up a new Evernote note window?

Actually, my request was to revert to the old clipper functionality (which still happens with the clipper in Thunderbird 8.0).

After selecting a portion of a web page, I'd click on the Evernote button on my toolbar. That would pop up a dialog box (regardless whether the desktop client is open) that allowed me to enter tags, choose a notebook, or even add a small amount of additional text to the clipped content.

The current T-bird clipper only allows sending the content to the web, while the previous Ffox clipper allowed sending either to the web or desktop.

The problem does start with the recent changes to the FF Clipper. Several other threads on the topic.

Opening clip in a new window is a workaround with the Windows client.

AFAIK the "Do not show "New Clip" dialog" option is either broken or no-op on the latest Windows client.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived