nonsensical "Note too large." error, part II

Parkaceed

Idea

i used to have a premium account, i have uploaded many notes that exceed 25mb in that period.

now i'm back on a free account and when i try to edit notes that are larger than 25mb, by adding a simple line of text for example, or putting them in another notebook, i get the error message that this isn't possible.

this is nonsensical. because the notes are already on the evernote servers, so i'm not uploading more then 25mb, just adding or deleting minor details.

is this a bug or policy?

12 replies to this idea

It's not nonsensical. Whenever you edit a note, the entire note is resync'd. If the note is 10 mb, sync'd, then edited to be 12 mb, during the next sync, you'll be uploading 12 mb. If it's then edited to be 8 mb, during the next sync, you'll be uploading 8 mb. The upload amount is just that - UPLOAD/Bandwidth. It's not how much space you're taking up on the servers. So if you no longer have a premium account, you cannot edit notes that exceed 25 mb.

thanks for your reply burgernfries, but i disagree with your explanation. if i add a line of text above a pdf file in a note, evernote should only sync that line of text (just a few kb's) because the pdf didn't change.

plus, i can't shut down the alertmessage that some notes (the ones i tryed to change) can't be synced again. so this message pops up like 100 times a day...

thanks for your reply burgernfries, but i disagree with your explanation. if i add a line of text above a pdf file in a note, evernote should only sync that line of text (just a few kb's) because the pdf didn't change.

It doesn't matter if you agree or not. That's how it works. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the programs on the EN servers that manage the individual notes in our databases doesn't know that the PDF has changed (or not) until the note is sent back to it. (Uploaded.) This is not the same as updating an entire file where say, a block update would only upload the changed parts. EN must be able to manage a single note on an individual basis and be able to make a determination as to how to handle the changes to that note.

To remove the alert message, you'll probably need to remove the notes from Evernote.

• Level 5

if i add a line of text above a pdf file in a note, evernote should only sync that line of text (just a few kb's) because the pdf didn't change.

It is not just the one line that is affected. That line affects the rest of the PDF.

Say you add the line on page 4 of a 20 page PDF.

The information that was on the very last line on page 4 might be pushed on to page 5.

And if you add whole paragraphs, it will have even more of an impact.

• Level 5*

I think he is saying if he adds a line of text to a note that includes a PDF rather than updating a PDF.

Either way, Evernote provides a service and the rules around how we use the service. If Evernote says that changing any part of note causes the whole note to be synchronised then that's the way it is.

I am a few years late for this thread, but because my subscription ran out, it is not possible to move, edit or even delete offending notes (over 25mb) or the notebooks that contain them. Unless I cough up $5 for a month of premium, I will be stuck with a notebook and file that I don't want, to simply delete it.

I am a few years late for this thread, but because my subscription ran out, it is not possible to move, edit or even delete offending notes (over 25mb) or the notebooks that contain them. Unless I cough up $5 for a month of premium, I will be stuck with a notebook and file that I don't want, to simply delete it.

When you delete a note, it goes into the EN trash, where it can be retrieved if necessary.  So yeah, if you want to edit an existing large note or delete it, you would need to be premium again.  Seems fair.

• Level 5*

Don't know if there is a 25 MB limit on local files. but can you move the note to a local notebook and do your own backing up from there since it can't sync anymore?  

• Level 5*

You can still access and download, you just cant modify it, move it, or delete it (in the Windows client). I discovered that you can manipulate it all you want in the Evernote Web app. 

My bad, I missed the move reference above.  On the 25MB limit, I get the EN view on edit with premium only, not sure why delete would make any difference.  Also, it is still your data so you it seems you should be able to export the note somehow.  You might consider submitting a ticket for that. 

Archived