(Archived) (Archived) Please help me understand all the 'Conflicting modifications' ruining my notes.

rockky

Happens when I have a note with an image or two with text....then, like IT do with my journal notes I'll return to add a picture or text, save it and when the note isis opened again it has double pictures and a note in the middle saying conflicting modification.Please help fix this.

Thanks

AFAIK, you only get the conflicting notes issue when you switch between devices/computers. In a nutshell, if you switch between devices/computers, be sure to sync UP (to the EN cloud) any changes you've made on a computer/device before switching to another computer/device. When you go to the next computer/device, be sure you've sync'd DOWN before you add/change any notes. Then be sure to sync UP before leaving that computer/device.

The following threads should be helpful:

(Couldn't find the following one in the new board, so am posting the link to the old board...sorry...)

http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=18534

• 3 months later...

I've also had a terrible time with Evernote's "conflicting modifications" nonsense. Like @rockky, I don't access (and in fact haven't ever accessed) my account from anywhere other than the Evernote app on my Android phone. Nevertheless, I routinely end up with duplicated content in my notes, particularly ones containing check boxes.

I can easily end up with three or four copies of nearly identical content in a single note if I don't delete them manually, and deleting them by hand is made doubly annoying by the fact that Evernote doesn't allow me to select or delete more than a single line at once in a list of checkable items (because your selection terminates whenever you hit a check box). The fastest way to work around this -- and it's not fast -- is to delete each checkbox individually and then select the remaining text and delete it as well. If this continues to be an issue, I'll likely find a different solution altogether, as I'm now spending almost as much time cleaning up my lists as I am making them in the first place.

I understand that Evernote wasn't designed to manage to-do lists, and that's abundantly clear from how well they function in the Evernote app, but I was hoping to be able to integrate some basic to-do list functionality with the rest of my note-taking. Oh well.

• Level 5*

If you think that the conflicting modifications notification is in error, then you should probably file a support inquiry. See the link in my signature.

For the record, I do basic to-do list stuff, mainly for work projects, and it seems to work fine for me. Just simple checklists suffice for many,

• 1 month later...

Evernote let me down today in the most trivial of use cases. I have had a note for a while labelled "shopping list". Before I went to the store, I opened EN on the Mac and updated the list. I got a warning about "conflicting changes" and I saw two notes with the same title in the "all notebooks" list. I manually merged the contents into one of the notes, deleted the other one, and hit sync. When I got to the store I opened my Android client, and my "shopping list" note was nowhere to be found!

I investigated when I got home -- my Mac EN was still showing the complete and correct shopping list at the top of "All Notebooks". Syncing both devices did nothing. Still can't see it on the Android, or on the web client. Why not? Because it's in the "Conflicting Changes xxx" folder. I know it's weird, but I shouldn't have to care what notebook it is in. "All Notebooks" should mean just that -- every damn note I have, no matter what notebook they're in, and they should be synced when I press sync.

So, beware: notes in a "Conflicting Changes" folder get synced with nothing.

I now realize that the prevailing advice is to sync first, then edit, then sync again. I agree with this advice as things now stand. However the user should not have to be responsible for this sequence.

Also, in a low-bandwidth situation, like on a phone, what policy does Evernote follow as to what to sync first? Most recent first? Smaller notes first?

Archived