Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

How To: Query tags shared with a specific tag?

tags query how-to

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 krog

krog

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:36 PM

Is there a quick and easy way to query all the tags shared with a specific tag?
Some examples:
1. I query for tag “Journal”, so I want to see a list of tags like “Exercise”, “Healthy Eating”, “Travel”, “WTF”, "One Time At Band Camp". (NOT subfolders!) Each of those tags whould be clickable, so if I click on “Travel” I see all the notes that have both a Journal tag and a Travel tag.
2. I query for tag “To Check Out” and I see a list of tags like “Music”, “Movies”, “Websites”, "Get Rich Quick Ideas". Same thing. I want to watch a movie, so I query “To Check Out”, and “Movies”. Why not just query the “Movie” tag, you say? OK, so I do that, but then I want to choose from a list of tags like “To Check Out”, “I Like”, “Yvette Likes”, etc. See, it’s not hierarchical! Nor did I have to figure out the One True Hierarchy at the time I saved the note.
Notes:
When specifying the first tag, I want a list of tags, not notes. It would be peachy if that list was clickable to those notes that have all the tags specified. Especially since I have hundreds of tags.
Yes, you can easily query by two tags if you know in advance which two tags you want to query. But, I suggest it would be incredibly powerful to query which tags are shared with the first. Powerful in terms of both speed and in terms of flexibility.
Assuming I can query like this, it would work way better for me than subfolders. It is much quicker and more flexible than figuring out subfolder hierarchies at note save time.

#2 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Evernote Geek
  • Group: Members
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:25 PM

Use "Hide unassigned tags". This will show just the common tags in the tag panel.
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)
Windows 7 SP1 & XP SP3 (EN 4.5.8.7356)
iPod Touch 2G (iOS 4.2.1, EN 4.1.9) / Blackberry Playbook (OS 2.0.1, EN 1.3)
Latest stable browsers & clippers(Chrome(default), Firefox, IE8/9)

#3 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,783 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:10 PM

2. I query for tag “To Check Out” and I see a list of tags like “Music”, “Movies”, “Websites”, "Get Rich Quick Ideas". Same thing. I want to watch a movie, so I query “To Check Out”, and “Movies”. Why not just query the “Movie” tag, you say? OK, so I do that, but then I want to choose from a list of tags like “To Check Out”, “I Like”, “Yvette Likes”, etc. See, it’s not hierarchical! Nor did I have to figure out the One True Hierarchy at the time I saved the note.

Owyn is correct. Set your tag list to "Hide unassigned tags". Click on, e.g. "Movies". All notes tagged with "Movies" will show, and the tag tree should now show all other tags in that set of notes. For example, If any of them are tagged with both "Movies" and "To Check Out", then "To Check Out" will be in the tag list. Now Ctrl+Click on "To Check Out". All notes with both tags will now be shown.
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote