Scanning from paper to digital

Jamie Todd Rubin

Since there was some discussion in some of the other threads about scanning/photographing paper to convert it to digital format, I thought I'd create a thread for it to consolidate the posts in one place. At home, I use the Canon imageFormula P-150 (Mac version) which has direct scanning into Evernote. It can scan 15 ppm and scans both sides of the page at once so no duplexer is needed. It is also small and portable which is nice. I've used it for scanning everything from post cards and receipts to publishing contracts and mortgage papers. Well worth the investment.

During the day we all encounter various memos, reports, sales brochures, etc.. Most of the time I am no where near a scanner. I have started using the app "camscanner" on my android phone. I can take a picture of it and the program will do the keystoning to straighten it and then enhance the picture. In good light the results are remarkable. Camscanner can then share the image with evernote as a *.jpg or *.pdf. It works really well when you're on the go.

I also use the Canon P-150 which is working out well, though for some reason it seems to be quicker for me to scan to an Evernote watched folder. But i need to play with that some more. And then i use Document Scanner on my android phone when on the go. It basically creates the PDF automatically and then one touch share to evernote from within the app.

I use a Xerox Documate 510 on Big Dog computer. (I name our cars & my computers.) It's got a good document feeder. Although it's not duplex, the software that comes with it (Paperport) allows you to "scan the other side" & it assembles the pages correctly. It's a flatbed, so you can scan things like pages from a book. I recently upgraded from Paperport 12 (that came with the Xerox when I bought it in January, 2007) to PP 14 Pro & like it a LOT better.)

I use the Scantini (Canon P150 - the same one Jamie uses, only the Windows version) on Old Dog computer or with my netbook. It's got an ok document feeder & is duplex (scans both sides during a single pass.) But I find I often need to only load a few pages in the ADF b/c it's not the best. (The Xerox one can handle 50 pages.) This is not a flatbed scanner, so it will not scan pages from a book, unless you rip the pages from the book. Since Big Dog is my main computer, I have Old Dog save the scans into Dropbox so they are then auto xferred to Big Dog. I can then move them from Dropbox to the appropriate place on Big Dog and drop a copy into Evernote, too. (That whole redundancy thing.)

The Scantini folds up fairly compact (4 x 11 x 1 1/2 inches). Paired with a netbook, you have a fairly compact scanning solution, if you don't want to use a camera.

I've also had very good luck using my iPhone 4G camera as a "scanner" for those times when it's the only one around.

I've got a NeatDesk scanner. I like the hardware a lot, but I hate their software. So I don't use their organizing software, I just use the scanner to scan to PDF into a digital "File Cabinet" on my PC. Then, I have Evernote set up to sync the content of certain of those file cabinet folders. I don't sync ALL my documents to Evernote, though.

I know it's really secure and everything, but it's not encrypted, so I have a hard time using it for more sensitive documents like medical records, tax forms, financial statements. Those I keep local, with an offsite encrypted backup using Crash Plan.

I know it's really secure and everything, but it's not encrypted, so I have a hard time using it for more sensitive documents like medical records, tax forms, financial statements. Those I keep local, with an offsite encrypted backup using Crash Plan.

I use a Truecrypted container on my hard drive for sensitive info. However, there are some sensitive docs that I really want to have in Evernote, so I add them as encrypted PDFs. Not just password protected PDFs, but password encrypted PDFs.

I use a Truecrypted container on my hard drive for sensitive info. However, there are some sensitive docs that I really want to have in Evernote, so I add them as encrypted PDFs. Not just password protected PDFs, but password encrypted PDFs.

That works, but I'm not sure it would buy me anything in addition to having them encrypted in CrashPlan. They're no longer searchable when encrypted, right? I'm not even sure if my scanner produces encrypted PDFs...

That works, but I'm not sure it would buy me anything in addition to having them encrypted in CrashPlan. They're no longer searchable when encrypted, right? I'm not even sure if my scanner produces encrypted PDFs...

I don't care that the PDFs aren't scanned, since I use accurate tags/titles/keywords. I find it easier to retrieve documents in Evernote, so that's why I may want them in Evernote in addition to my true backup system (Amazon S3 via Jungle Disk.)

PDF encryption isn't done with your scanner. It's software. I use the free version of PDF Xchange viewer to do the encryption.

I don't care that the PDFs aren't scanned, since I use accurate tags/titles/keywords. I find it easier to retrieve documents in Evernote, so that's why I may want them in Evernote in addition to my true backup system (Amazon S3 via Jungle Disk.)

PDF encryption isn't done with your scanner. It's software. I use the free version of PDF Xchange viewer to do the encryption.

No, I know it's software, but the NeatDesk scanner uses its own software for scanning and creating the PDF, and it creates a nice, searchable file. Using another tool to create an encrypted version is probably too much to add to my workflow for too little benefit. The documents that I avoid syncing to Evernote aren't things I routinely need, so it's just as well having them where I do. I can remotely pull them from my CrashPlan backups if ever I need to get them while I'm away.

I've got a NeatDesk scanner. I like the hardware a lot, but I hate their software. So I don't use their organizing software, I just use the scanner to scan to PDF into a digital "File Cabinet" on my PC. Then, I have Evernote set up to sync the content of certain of those file cabinet folders. I don't sync ALL my documents to Evernote, though.

Local notebook in evernote? or just local on your computer? Also, I just starting test driving Crash Plan (literally two nights ago so I am still learning the ins and outs), is the evernote file type one that is automatically backed up? Or is it considered application data like my picasa changes, tags, etc and therefore doesn't back up?

Local notebook in evernote? or just local on your computer? Also, I just starting test driving Crash Plan (literally two nights ago so I am still learning the ins and outs), is the evernote file type one that is automatically backed up? Or is it considered application data like my picasa changes, tags, etc and therefore doesn't back up?

No, literally a local directory on my PC. Or several, actually. I have different folders for different types of documents...receipts, tax forms, medical, etc.

In the Evernote application, I use Tools>Import Folders to identify which folders to watch, and whenever my scanner delivers a file to a folder Evernote is watching, it automatically gets copied to the appropriate Evernote notebook.

Crash Plan is separately backing up all my document folders, as well as other data.

• 3 weeks later...

When I take a photo with my iPod Touch iOS 5, I'm amazed at how easy it is and clear to read. However, when I send it to evernote the photo is rotated 90 degrees to the left. I can't seem to fix it. The photos are taken with the iPod held vertically (portrait). Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

The trick I've found for rotating the image correctly in EN, is to right-click on the image in EN and open it in Preview. Then from the Tools menu in Preview choose to Rotate Left or Rotate Right. Then close. Viola! the image is now correctly rotated in EN. Give that a shot. Oh and this is assuming you're on a Mac using the EN desktop app.

The trick I've found for rotating the image correctly in EN, is to right-click on the image in EN and open it in Preview. Then from the Tools menu in Preview choose to Rotate Left or Rotate Right. Then close. Viola! the image is now correctly rotated in EN. Give that a shot. Oh and this is assuming you're on a Mac using the EN desktop app.

IrfanView provides a similar function in Windows. Just make sure to Save, NOT, Save As.

• 1 month later...

During the day we all encounter various memos, reports, sales brochures, etc.. Most of the time I am no where near a scanner. I have started using the app "camscanner" on my android phone. I can take a picture of it and the program will do the keystoning to straighten it and then enhance the picture. In good light the results are remarkable. Camscanner can then share the image with evernote as a *.jpg or *.pdf. It works really well when you're on the go.

Anyone else had luck using the "camscanner" app from the Android market? I am thinking of scanner some papers to try it out.

• Level 5*

When I take a photo with my iPod Touch iOS 5, I'm amazed at how easy it is and clear to read. However, when I send it to evernote the photo is rotated 90 degrees to the left. I can't seem to fix it. The photos are taken with the iPod held vertically (portrait). Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

there is a thread somewhere about this, and i made a support ticket once in the past. long story short, evernote does not read the instructions it receives from ios on how to orient the photo, they don't plan to read them, and the solution suggested (for mac users) was to open the photo in preview, rotate once, rotate back, and then save it.

this means that every photo will be uploaded twice. it also means you have to use your computer. in practical terms, since i work mainly from my ipad, and i am not at home to fire up the computer, it means my photos are a mess and i generally avoid uploading them into evernote, or just accept that they will be askew. for receipts and the like, this is a real pain, but there is nothing to be done.

there is a thread somewhere about this, and i made a support ticket once in the past. long story short, evernote does not read the instructions it receives from ios on how to orient the photo, they don't plan to read them, and the solution suggested (for mac users) was to open the photo in preview, rotate once, rotate back, and then save it.

this means that every photo will be uploaded twice. it also means you have to use your computer. in practical terms, since i work mainly from my ipad, and i am not at home to fire up the computer, it means my photos are a mess and i generally avoid uploading them into evernote, or just accept that they will be askew. for receipts and the like, this is a real pain, but there is nothing to be done.

My workaround for this (preventing the images to chew up double bandwidth) is to upload them to Dropbox. Then, when I'm on my PC, I'll use my image viewer to rotate the ones that need it. Then I put them in an import folder, where they get whooshed into EN. Kind of a PITA but if that's the worst part of my day, it's a darned good day.

I went to my android mobile settings but the only options there are is passcode lock and unlink device. I didn't see it online. PHone specific?
Earlier today, I looked on my Kindle Fire & did not see this setting.
maybe. if so, you are lucky :)
Maybe, mabye not. If there is no setting in the Android (or whatever other) client, it may still default to the medium downsizing. FWIW, I have to say I haven't noticed my previous Dropboxed images as being blurred or unreadable (word?) from my iPhone 4. They are still way better than images from my iPhone 3G that were emailed to Evernote. IOW, the downsizing may not be problematic, depending upon the device you are using. But now that I know, of course, I want the full Monty. Because I'm OCD & that's how I roll. ;)
  • Level 5*

i had some pretty important photographs that i took with my digital camera (14.1 megapixel), transferred to my ipad (via the usb connector), and uploaded to dropbox. fortunately, i hadn't erased the originals (to make space for more photos) before i viewed the shrunken aberrations and realized that something had gone wrong. if they had been photos taken with the ipad, i probably wouldn't have noticed ;)

• 1 year later...

I use CamScanner on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2.  Hand held it may be difficult to hold everything parallel and still.

To help this I use a copy stand made from a chemistry lab beaker stand.  You can buy them for <$15 on Amazon.  You also need a right angle clamp (about $5)  to hold a piece of plywood about 9"x5" with a slot in the middle for the camera, and about a 12" square piece of hardboard for the base.  This gives a lot of support.  The height is of course adjustable.

After you take the picture with Camscanner, the app marks the corners of the document, allows you to adjust the markers occasionally, and then crops and straightens and keystones it before storing it.

Later you can direct the documents to about 15 different cloud sites including Evernote.  A minor gripe is the Evernote is at the bottom of the list - you have to scroll to it.

I would like to see Evernote and Camscanner  integrated more - Camscanner is much better than scanning direct from the Evernote app.

Archived