Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Mac

Can I add a link to an Evernote 'note' in a text document?

evernote

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 pipkato

pipkato

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:51 PM

Is there a method to add a link to individual Evernote 'notes' within documents in Apple Pages and TextEdit.

I'm working on a document which in some cases references a note in an Evernote Notebook. I want to put a link to that note in my document so that clicking on it will open the specific document in Evernote. This is just for my personal use, so that while working on my Pages or TextEdit document I can review my Evernote material immediately, and without having to do a Search in Evernote.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

#2 engberg

engberg

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 12,536 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:14 PM

This isn't currently possible, but we plan to introduce links-to-notes, which would be portable across platforms.

Thanks

- Dave Engberg (Evernote)

#3 pipkato

pipkato

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:29 PM

Thanks a lot Dave.

That will be a really useful addition.

And thanks for a fantastic application - I find it incredibly reliable and useful, and the new iPhone client is amazing.

Regards,

Roy

#4 Cmagic

Cmagic

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:04 PM

Hi,

Roy, thanks for asking.
+1 to support the note linking feature. I really liked this feature in EN2.

Thanks,

Christian

#5 Notaker

Notaker

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:23 PM

I was trying to find a way to link to EN notes from OmniFocus, when I found this year-old thread that promised the feature would be added. How's the progress on this?

There still isn't any way to link to a specific EN note, is there?

EDIT: I found a workaround. You can search for the EN note in Spotlight/Finder, and drag it from there into the other app. This seems to work fine both for MindManager and OmniFocus, so I guess it should be OK for most apps.

EDIT 2: This workaround apparently relies on a temporary cache and does not work across machines. On the same mac the links seem to work for a while, none of mine have stopped working yet, but I expect them to eventually.

EDIT 3: … and so they did. The links only work a for few months, at most, so this workaround is worthless. It's sad that EN is progressing so slowly on this.

#6 rcherny

rcherny

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:52 PM

Any update on when we might see linking to notes between notes etc. introduced? This thread is quite old.

It would be great to be able to create relationships between notes. DEVONThink, Together, Journler, SOHO Notes all allow this functionality today.

#7 kmp

kmp

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:14 AM

Like Notaker, I would also like to add a vote for this. I'm also an OmniFocus user, but in general I've found that not every application does everything, and I'd like to suggest that as my "mobile mind" Evernote fits in best as a "Reference" resource - not a planning one.

I'm a big fan of OF, but I don't like trying to store reference data in it. That's not what it's really meant for; GTD requires a hard separation between what keeps you on track, and resources that you need (and wish to retain), separate from an associated next action.

Being able to drag a note icon from Evernote as a "notes:" link in MacOS X would enable being able to reference Evernote data from anywhere in any application and on any of the computers on which I have Evernote installed. This would be really useful... thanks.

#8 pendolino

pendolino

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 227 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:24 PM

i found the same finder trick and i also agree that it can only be an ad-hoc solution at the moment. apart from linking notes within EN, the ability to link to notes from external apps is a great plus. i just started using this workaround but for relatively unimportant references and if they break i guess i will go do a search in EN.

#9 robboyd

robboyd

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:35 PM

I sure would love to this feature fully baked. I am a Things user for my GTD practice and could really use a 'link to specific note' URL to use on my machine locally.

#10 metzmar

metzmar

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:02 AM

Seconded, robboyd.

#11 ciwa

ciwa

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:39 AM

Totaly agree - for me using omnifocus and EN as a tool to handle reference material in gtd way, EN lacks this important feature. Please implement direct linking to EN documents as soon as possible!

#12 sentience

sentience

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:53 AM

Yes please!

I want to be able to scan a bill into Evernote and then create an OmniFocus task that points to it as needing to be paid.

#13 edumbill

edumbill

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:52 AM

Just wanted to add my agreement to this as well. I also use OmniFocus with Evernote and this would make life very much easier.

#14 cheekyknight

cheekyknight

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

I also would like to see this feature.
It would be great for use with OmniFocus and other ideas I have as well.

Clever clog as I can sometimes be, let me offer this rather clever unkink'd workaround,
noting that it works everywhere, not just on the client machine.

Use key-commands in EverNote Prefs to create notes.
Log-into EverNote through your web-browser.
click on your newly created note.
THAT url appears to consistently bring-up the desired note.
If you make your browser auto-login for EverNote (where safe to do so),
An altogether not unreasonably unpleasant hack, m'thinks.

Enjoy.

~ J

#15 kevinpaul

kevinpaul

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:21 AM

The ability to link one note to another would greatly enhance Evernote's usability. Please add this feature ASAP!

#16 falcon31

falcon31

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:26 PM

Another voice requesting external links to notes. (I'm on Windows) Is this feature planned for 3.5?

#17 lisaretief

lisaretief

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:22 PM

Yes please, I need this feature in the Mac client.

#18 steveberl

steveberl

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:06 PM

+1 for linking between notes within evernote,
+1 for linking to a note from an external document.

-steve

#19 eidehli

eidehli

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:44 AM

Unique note id's with a drag/drop link creation feature would be very helpful! In particular for OmniFocus integration.

This would also allow me to open specific notes from a keyboard command, as I requested in viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12264.

I would also like a preference or option whether note links should open the note in a separate note window, shown in the main Evernote window, or web page.

#20 FrogProf

FrogProf

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:31 PM

Another vote for wiki-style linking between Evernote documents. Please please please? :) I'll even forgo (for now) linking to external documents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote