(Archived) HOWTO: See what rules my saved searches are using

Ecrowell

Idea

Folks,

I'm very sad to see that the list of 'filter rules' that comprised my saved search are no longer visible to me in the interface (Lion OS 7.6.2). In previous releases when i clicked on my saved search i would see the filter rules being used, for example:

tag:Active, tag:P1:, etc.

Now when I click on the saved search it filters my notes but I no longer have access to the original rules being used ... can I have that back?

Am I missing it? Can someone help me here or take this User Story as input ..

"As a user, I want to see the filter rules being applied when I click on a saved search, so that I can understand the resulting list of notes. I also want the power to edit the list of rules so I can modify and tune existing searching creating new ones. "

Help!!

54 replies to this idea

Ok, official word from EN Support:

Thank you for providing this feedback on Evernote.

Unfortunately, editing a 'Saved search' is currently unsupported on our Mac client. Currently, only our Windows client has that feature available.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

I for one expect the Evernote Evangelists to be respectful of all posters and to not engage personal attacks on other posters.

Is that really too much to ask?

I for one expect everyone to be respectful when posting here. That would include you, JMiU & Korvan. It's clear that's too much to ask.

Carry on.

The search explanation bar being changed/removed and the direct properties edit on a Saved Search are two different things, to me. For one, the Windows client never had that, and we're trying to get a consistent experience among all the clients. So, what I'm trying to get at is - if you right-click (cmd-click) the Saved Search on the Mac, is that broken? Can you not edit it anymore? Because if you can't, *that there's a bug, pardner.*

That's a bug, then. Right clicking (or command clicking) on a saved search only brings up "rename saved search" and "delete saved search", with no option for editing. I've submitted a ticket (referencing heather's comment in this thread).

As for the behavior within this thread, the first ad hominem attack was comment #10.

• Level 5*

Using "Ignore" also can lead to confusing one-sided conversations and double-posting of solutions, because members who "ignore" can't see every post, even the helpful ones. I don't use it. If I feel that a post is out of line, I can either ignore it myself, attempt to deal with it, or report it; that's what the mods are for (I'm one, too), rather than just putting my hands over my eyes.

• Level 5*

You're welcome.

The 'Ignore' Preferences (hide posts) is not obvious, so that is why I mentioned it.

It does make the Evernote forum a lot more user friendly.

Wow! You're right! Ignoring certain posts made this thread immediately more friendly and useful -- it removed all the unnecessary clutter.

At first I was reluctant to do this for some of the reasons that jefito mentioned. But since I rarely, if ever, get anything of value from these posts it seems to be a good trade.

• Level 5

Tried the reporting method and it did not work.

I don't consider Ignore as putting my hands over my eyes. I can still see everyone else's comments.

I liken it to putting some personalized pink-colored Duct tape over the keyboard of an individual user.

post-53124-0-36126000-1321383187_thumb.j

Using "Ignore" also can lead to confusing one-sided conversations and double-posting of solutions, because members who "ignore" can't see every post, even the helpful ones. I don't use it. If I feel that a post is out of line, I can either ignore it myself, attempt to deal with it, or report it; that's what the mods are for (I'm one, too), rather than just putting my hands over my eyes.

Thanks Jeff, you make a good point. After looking for a bit it I found that it does show that there is a post from an ignored forum member at the appropriate place in the thread, and it provides an easy option to view it if the surrounding threads seem to reflect it was helpful.

• Level 5*
Thanks Jeff, you make a good point. After looking for a bit it I found that it does show that there is a post from an ignored forum member at the appropriate place in the thread, and it provides an easy option to view it if the surrounding threads seem to reflect it was helpful.

I'm not saying that using 'ignore' is right or wrong, I just don't want to miss things. But that's just me...

As for the behavior within this thread, the first ad hominem attack was comment #10.

I'm waiting to hear back from Support, but from what I understand, on the Mac version 3.0.4, there is currently:

1. no way to view what a Saved Search's syntax is

2. no way to edit a Saved Search

I'm also not seeing any Saved Search's on my online account (I think I used to be able to). Jsuttonmorse mentioned being able to view Saved Search syntaxes there, but I haven't seen how yet.

I'll report back what Support says.

• Level 5*

As for BNF, well, I only made that sweeping generalization because my general experience was been consistent enough for me to do so. Per the advice I received from someone else in a PM about you, I think ignoring you in my forum settings is the best option. Keeps my blood pressure down.

I figured as much. How middle school of you both. Hopefully, you'll grow up and be able to think on your own someday. Operative word being 'think'.

EDIT: that's twice in one day, same thread that "grow up" has been directed toward you by different people. Just sayin'.

And since it appears you deleted your post, I guess benson was peeved at you that you spilled the beans. Don't you know you're not supposed to let on that anyone passed you a note during class??? That's usually the first thing you learn in 8th grade. You both need to grow up.

The OP and others in this thread have raised serious issues concerning Evernote Mac which needs to be addressed by the Evernote team.

I find the posts by BNF to be highly off-topic and distracting to these issues. Her remarks are personal in nature and have nothing to do with the features or use of Evernote. Furthermore, her posts violate the Forum Rules of Conduct.

I for one expect the Evernote Evangelists to be respectful of all posters and to not engage personal attacks on other posters.

Is that really too much to ask?

Help Topic: Forum Code of Conduct

By accessing the forum and participating in discussion, you are agreeing to abide by Evernote’s forum code of conduct. While we’ve covered the basics, we most certainly haven’t covered everything. The Code of Conduct may be amended at any time should Evernote deem it necessary.

General Guidelines

The Evernote forums aim to foster constructive discussion. Be yourself, but please use this general rule of thumb: if you wouldn’t say it at the dinner table*, don’t say it here. We don’t mind snark and gibes, but don’t get hateful. Put another way: the golden rule applies here.

. . .

4. Don’t engage in flame wars.

They will simply not be tolerated. If things get out of control and a thread is hijacked, it will be closed. Repeat offenders will find themselves ban-hammered temporarily.

• Level 5*

This is unbelievable! I am very disappointed in Evernote. :)

Searches are difficult to create, and usually require several tries on complicated ones before it produces the results I need.

I cannot image why anyone would design a Saved Search tool without the simple ability to edit it.

It is just the edit of a simple text string.

What were you thinking Evernote?

• Level 5

I have tons of saved searches but almost none of them are in the Left Panel of Saved Searches.

Actually, there is one saved search I use to pull up 5 notes which contain all my past searches.

The 5 notes represent the 5 major categories for my searches.

Date / Time

Bills

Places

People

Things

By putting them into notes, I can edit them, then add the new saved version if I like the results.

This allows me to do a lot of tweaking of searches.

• Level 5*

jbenson2,

That's a decent work-around, but doesn't alleviate the need to edit Saved Searches, and requires too many steps, copy/paste, etc to be really effective for me.

Saved Searches allow a quick, one-click step to execute.

This is particularly needed on mobile devices.

Saved Searches would be even easier to use if Evernote would add a drop-down list on the Favorites bar, like they do for Tags.

• Level 5*

The search explanation bar being changed/removed and the direct properties edit on a Saved Search are two different things, to me. For one, the Windows client never had that, and we're trying to get a consistent experience among all the clients. So, what I'm trying to get at is - if you right-click (cmd-click) the Saved Search on the Mac, is that broken? Can you not edit it anymore? Because if you can't, *that there's a bug, pardner.*

Heather, there was so much noise in this thread that I think a major point got lost.

Perhaps you were thinking of something else, but the "Search Explanation Bar" has been in EN Win for a long time, well over a year.

It was also in EN Mac until the "Favorites Bar" was added, and then for some unknown reason, the "Search Explanation Bar" was removed from EN Mac.

Since then, the Favorites Bar has been added to EN Win, AND the Search Explanation Bar was NOT removed, fortunately.

By your logic of "we're trying to get a consistent experience among all the clients", I would hope the Evernote Team would add the Search Explanation bar back into EN Mac.

This is sorely needed. The Search grammar is complex and hard to use. Often, one does not know exactly how the text typed into the Search block will be interpreted by the EN Search engine. The Search Explanation Bar gives us this valuable, critical, information.

For those who don't want to see the Search Explanation Bar, there is a simple option in the EN Win View menu to hide it.

Please put the Search Explanation Bar back into the EN Mac client.

Here are a couple of screen shots from the current EN Win client that show the Search Explanation Bar:

EN Win View Menu

post-82662-0-30000800-1324091861_thumb.g

EN Win Search Explanation Bar

post-82662-0-26664400-1324091909_thumb.g

• Level 5*
We've removed the Search Explanation Bar from Mac... so, it stands to reason that we'll be removing it from Windows as well.

Not sure that I'm wild about removing it from either client. In the past, it's been helpful in debugging search scenarios when helping users on the forums ("Hey, when I type <x>, Evernote does <y>". Hmmm, let me see what the search explanation says. Oh, OK, when you type <x>, Evernote takes it to mean <z>. Try typing <q>, then).

I feel this is a VERY VERY important feature to fix. I am a Mac user too. I think it is more frustrating because I used to be a Windows user and loved seeing what my search was in a status bar, and also the ability to edit. Saved searches.

I would also like to see "advanced" searches such as:

(tag:X AND tag:Y) NOT tag:Z

(had to edit my post. the forum changed part of it to a "smiley")

• Level 5*
I would also like to see "advanced" searches such as:

(tag:X AND tag:Y) NOT tag:Z

The following should work:

tag:x tag:y -tag:z

This is an all AND search; notice the '-' on the last operand.

And here come the Evangelists...

Believe it or not, the Skitch acquisition makes some existing users happy. So I guess you really mean EN shouldn't do much of anything until they make you happy, which is, of course, ridiculous.

What I didn't ask for was for someone to put words in my mouth, but cheers for the unsolicited assistance on that point regardless. I'm sure lots of people find that sort of behaviour useful here on the forums.

I meant exactly what I said - fix the problems that a not-insignificant number of paying customers have been talking about before adding new strings to your bow. It's simple customer management, really.

If EN (and the Evangelists) can't accept that some people actually are unhappy with aspects of EN, perhaps they need to take off the rose coloured glasses and see how things really are. And EN should certainly rethink the business they're in if they're going to continue displaying this prevailing Google-like arrogance and ignore customer pain.

So, BurgersNFries, what's your suggestion for editing saved searches on the Mac (which really is the topic of this thread,

Only three posts under your belt & already delving right into Evangelist bashing I see. Not only is it lame, it certainly shows a lack of creativity.

and certainly the basis of my complaints this week)?

Wonderful. Looking forward to the future installments.

• Level 5*

I agree that the Search Terms panel should at least be available to those who need it.

Not having it on the EN Mac client is inconsistent with the EN Win client, which does show it.

Sometimes the Search engine may not interpret what you type into the Search block in a way that you would expect. Or you might make a typo.

Showing the Search Terms panel as the Search Engine has interpreted it is essential to ensuring that we get the results we want.

Please reconsider the removal of the Search Terms panel.

Thanks.

I, for one, am fast getting sick of the inconsistencies between Evernote clients for different platforms.

Not only can I not edit my saved searches on my Mac (where I do a LOT of my note processing for GTD) but I get different results on the iPad client. I confirmed this by creating a brand new saved search in the web client. Nothing tricky - I'm using the following search string (with the any: qualifier):

intitle:"Meeting notes" intitle:"Tech Services mgt meeting" intitle:"Whiteboard"

I get 319 results in web/Mac and only 254 on the iPad. Unacceptable (and amateur) outcome, to say the least.

One of the major things that differentiated Evernote was its "powerful" search capabilities. "Stick all your notes in our searchable soup" was the cry. "Trust us to find it when you need it". I call bullsh!t. It's of zero value to me if I can't rely on that very feature to get me to the data I want, when I want, using the client I want.

Combined with the severely limited capability of Evernote search itself (for crying out loud - still no Boolean searching? Are you really that deaf?), I'm seriously questioning why I pay for the premium service. I've persisted for two years now, and I'm almost at the point of giving up entirely.

What disappoints me most of all is that I advocated Evernote to so many people over those two years. I just feel let down now.

Pick up your game Evernote. Stop acquiring toy applications like Skitch and focus on consistent stabilisation of your existing product suite. Once you make your existing customers happy, then you can look to expand your business in other ways.

Pick up your game Evernote. Stop acquiring toy applications like Skitch and focus on consistent stabilisation of your existing product suite. Once you make your existing customers happy, then you can look to expand your business in other ways.

Believe it or not, the Skitch acquisition makes some existing users happy. So I guess you really mean EN shouldn't do much of anything until they make you happy, which is, of course, ridiculous.

And here come the Evangelists...

What I didn't ask for was for someone to put words in my mouth, but cheers for the unsolicited assistance on that point regardless. I'm sure lots of people find that sort of behaviour useful here on the forums.

I meant exactly what I said - fix the problems that a not-insignificant number of paying customers have been talking about before adding new strings to your bow. It's simple customer management, really.

If EN (and the Evangelists) can't accept that some people actually are unhappy with aspects of EN, perhaps they need to take off the rose coloured glasses and see how things really are. And EN should certainly rethink the business they're in if they're going to continue displaying this prevailing Google-like arrogance and ignore customer pain.

So, BurgersNFries, what's your suggestion for editing saved searches on the Mac (which really is the topic of this thread, and certainly the basis of my complaints this week)?

Yawn again.... Did you open a support case?

For what? The Mac client not allowing me to edit saved searches? Again, that's the point of this thread, isn't it? I was simply using the other issue as a case in point that EN's attention to consistency and detail isn't there.

Is it a requirement that EN Evangelists ignore the real point of threads, or did it just somehow work out that way?

• Level 5*

Yawn again.... Did you open a support case?

For what? The Mac client not allowing me to edit saved searches? Again, that's the point of this thread, isn't it? I was simply using the other issue as a case in point that EN's attention to consistency and detail isn't there.

Is it a requirement that EN Evangelists ignore the real point of threads, or did it just somehow work out that way?

No, although your exquisite manners do really attract me to want to help you.

Not because Evernote have made a design decision that you don't like.

I suggested you open a support case as it looks like you may have an issue with your index.

Is it a requirement that you don't read other people's posts properly or did it just somehow work out that way?

Here's the line from my post

Sounds like you may have an issue with your index - you should open a support case.

Was that in someway not clear enough for you?

• Level 5

A lot of users have similar views.

Here's a tip that I have found very helpful:

Upper right corner of the forum

Select Your Profile, then My Settings

On the left side of the screen halfway down is:

'Ignore' Preferences with the option to Hide Posts

It is a wonderful way to block the "Drama Queens".

Christ, I'm so ashamed for being drawn into this entire, stupid exchange, and you two should be just as ashamed for egging me along. I'm sure you got some great laughs from it.

I posted in support of the OP's own problem. I added some of my own experiences (yes, I was blunt - not rude - but that's my right as a paying customer) to demonstrate both the inconsistencies in EN's approach to multi-platform development and the pain it was introducing to at least one customer.

To date, the EN Evangelists posting here haven't offered anything other than misdirected advice or elitist and condescending commentary. I can only assume this is because an interloper to the forums presumed to question to the mighty, infallible Evernote product and the people behind it.

The reduction of saved search capabilities in the Mac client isn't a design decision - it's an oversight. How can anyone call the removal of working feature a design decision? The lack of Boolean searching has a long, well-documented history of displeasure amongst the dedicated EN user-base here. Ignoring this level of feedback is not only crazy (many companies struggle to get this sort of clarity in customer feedback) but, well, just like Google.

Here's the thing. I use Evernote almost non-stop every day. It's my GTD, my filing cabinet and my briefcase. I couldn't survive without it, and that's why I’m so passionate when it's shortcomings stop it being an awesome product (instead of just a great product). Clearly, I diluted that message when I posted.

So, I humbly beg a thousand apologies for presuming to offer honest feedback, and I have well-learnt this lesson in not calling others on their bad behaviour.

Cheers.

• Level 5*

Oh grow up, did you open a support case about the issues with your index?

The other stuff I couldn't care less about - Evernote made a decision, you don't like it well - you've made your point clear.

Oh grow up, did you open a support case about the issues with your index?

The other stuff I couldn&#39;t care less about - Evernote made a decision, you don&#39;t like it well - you&#39;ve made your point clear.

This is certainly unnecessary. Korvan is making some substantive points about Evernote's commitment to its users which I happen to agree with. I spent a lot of time last week opening and going back and forth on a support case concerning Evernote's broken phrase search capabilty on the Mac client, and while I appreciated the support staff investing their time (and mine) in pursuing the issue, the end result appears to be the same as it was back in August when someone else opened a support ticket on the issue: it is still broken.

To paraphrase from the above, accepting a "decision" by Evernote to lose a previously existing capability is not an option; neither is switching between various clients to see which one is not broken and use that.

We love Evernote; that is why many of us have poured literally years and thousands of hours into populating and annotating our Notes. To entertain the prospect that the company is not committed to maintaining existing search capabilities across all clients, much less adding search capability, is disconcerting to say the least.

Erm, did anyone consider that this is actually not a design decision, but actually a bug? Like, right-click the Save Search, select "Properties", to edit your saved search query might simply not be working in the current Mac version right now?

And that filing a support case would be a great way to tell us?

• Level 5*

Well, I remember when it was released that an Evernote employee (Dlu I think) said that this was a design decision and not a bug....

[edit]

It is discussed throughout this thread http://discussion.ev...hl__lion%20beta

Dlu makes a couple of comments including on Page 4 and never mentions it being a bug.

Given that it's clear that Evernote are aware of people's feeling about this, have discussed it in the forums and I'm guessing a couple of people opened tickets about it in the past....I'm not sure where the value of another support case is?

This is certainly unnecessary. Korvan is making some substantive points about Evernote's commitment to its users which I happen to agree with.

Maybe so. But substantive points can be made without going all drama queen and without diverting the issue by making broad sweeping generalizations about people (IE evangelists). Metrodon offered a reasonable point (submit a support ticket) that Korvan proceeded to totally ignore & instead chose to degrade into EN and evangelist bashing. Which is certainly his choice, I suppose. But then it's reasonable to expect a reply in kind.

Yeah, but the OP is asking for how to access their Saved Search query string and edit it. We didn't take *that* out. It just may not be accessed in the same way they're expecting.

I'm trying to point that out.

And you know, like, give support and stuff.

• Level 5*

So obviously I can't help you with the fact that they took away the search explanation bar - but you also complained about an issue that may be caused by an issue with your index.

I make a suggestion that you open a support case to help resolve this and you get angry with me - now you say you don't care about the index....

All there is to say about the OP's original issue is that it was a design decision, it's discussed here -

I'm not quite sure what else you expect?

As for BNF, well, I only made that sweeping generalization because my general experience was been consistent enough for me to do so. Per the advice I received from someone else in a PM about you, I think ignoring you in my forum settings is the best option. Keeps my blood pressure down.

I figured as much. How middle school of you both. Hopefully, you'll grow up and be able to think on your own someday. Operative word being 'think'.

EDIT: that's twice in one day, same thread that "grow up" has been directed toward you by different people. Just sayin'.

And since it appears you deleted your post, I guess benson was peeved at you that you spilled the beans. Don't you know you're not supposed to let on that anyone passed you a note during class??? That's usually the first thing you learn in 8th grade. You both need to grow up.

Archived