(Archived) How do group members modify shared notebooks w/ web clipper?

Hi,

I'm trying to create a group account here at work for my team and share notebooks that we can all search, tag, modify and add to them as a group. But even though I've shared notebooks with a member and they can see it when they log in to Evernote.com and their desktop application and modify it there, when they go to the web clipper, it doesn't give that shared notebook as an option when they try to clip a website and add it to my shared notebook.

I made them administrators in the group and I specified 'modify' permission when I shared the notebook with them. Is there anything else I can do to allow them to modify (add to) my shared notebook using the web clipper?

Thank you!!

Probably b/c shared notebooks have not been rolled out to the clipper(s). A work around is that they could clip to their notebook & then email the note to the shared notebook. (I'm not proficient with shared notebooks, but I think that should work.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can anyone provide an estimated date of when web clipping to a shared notebook will be available? For our company's purposes this is essential to realizing any value from the shared notebook feature. We invested in several premium licenses and are seriously regretting doing so because the feature is not available at this point.

Can anyone provide an estimated date of when web clipping to a shared notebook will be available? For our company's purposes this is essential to realizing any value from the shared notebook feature. We invested in several premium licenses and are seriously regretting doing so because the feature is not available at this point.

EN does not post ETAs.

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto to all of the above. ( I live in the hometown of EN! ) -- pitched this also as the best solution to my colleagues for sharing information for business with geographically dispersed employees. I am sorely disappointed. Fix this issue -- it is critical to businesses.

I agree with previous speakers that this functionality would really improve Evernote's sharing capabilities. Also, I would like to be able to:

- Move notes to and from shared notebooks

- Search both your own and the shared notebooks simultaneously

- Get notifications and/or see version history when someone changes or adds something in a shared notebook

If you would add those things - I think Evernote would be really close to becoming the perfect Intranet!

• 2 weeks later...

Another +1 from me. :-)

I just upgraded from a free account to enable sharing with a partner in a startup. I was demo'ing it to the other staff suggesting they all sign up and use it as we're working remotely while getting started up.

The demo got awkward when we couldn't drag/move a note to the shared folder, and got worse when the web clipper didn't work.

Does EN seriously not give ETA's on things?

Cheers, Chris H.

Hi,

ya.. I've been bitten by demoing software sooo many times I've lost count but in this case it was a 'hey guys, what about this...' type moment so I didn't prepare myself that well. :-)

Anyway, I think I've found something that will fill our needs for shared notes/todos/ideas in the startup context.

I'll watch EN with baited breath though as it's a great tool just flawed for our application.

Hi,

ya.. I've been bitten by demoing software sooo many times I've lost count but in this case it was a 'hey guys, what about this...' type moment so I didn't prepare myself that well. :-)

Anyway, I think I've found something that will fill our needs for shared notes/todos/ideas in the startup context.

I'll watch EN with baited breath though as it's a great tool just flawed for our application.

What did you decide on?

• Level 5

Hey everyone,

We have recently renewed our commitment to make sharing in Evernote more usable and fun. So as you use the product, please continue to post your opinions. What we read here is invaluable in helping us build a better product!

Thanks and keep the great ideas coming!

Hi,

What did you decide on?

Ummm.

(With the Caveat that I'm happy for an evernote staff member to nuke my post because I didn't read the T&C's for the forum to know if I can post competitor names....)

Trello is the product, I won't go on about it here, it's not an EN substitute, and it's feature set is different in many ways, but it's sharing functionality is what we need for our project.

No problems. The forum rules prohibit spamming or advertising. They most certainly do not prohibit relevant discussion of alternatives to Evernote for specific use cases. e.g. Search the forums for "DropBox".

Thanks for the info. I visited the site ( https://trello.com/ ) and evernoted the details. Never know when it will be relevant in the future.

Looks like it could be a good fit to your needs.

Hey everyone,

We have recently renewed our commitment to make sharing in Evernote more usable and fun. So as you use the product, please continue to post your opinions. What we read here is invaluable in helping us build a better product!

This is awesome. Thanks, and please keep posts like this coming.

• 4 weeks later...

It would be great if Shared Notebooks were not "2nd class" Notebooks. If only way you knew a notebook was a shared notebook was because it had a different icon (kind of like my own notebooks that I have shared with my wife and my dad).

Some areas where I feel Shared Notebooks are 2nd class.

• No nested tags on shared notebooks in Evernote for Windows.
  • No tag view for a shared notebook in Evernote for Android (phone version).
  • Inability to move notes from my notebooks to shared notebooks.

Ideally we could have a single notebook list and a single nested tag tree.

This would make sharing in Evernote more usable and fun. :)

But is it critical to Evernote's business?

Yes. Evernote is a great personal note taking and organization tool, but its collaboration features are lacking. Recently, I've needed to share web clippings and notes with my wife, but have found Evernote's shared folders to be absolutely painful. If I share a folder with my wife, she can't clip to it. She can't put it in her main folder list and add to a stack. Within the shared folder list, she can't stack or organize the shared folders. Using Evernote for business purposes is out of the question, not only because of security concerns, but also because of the poor implementation of notebook sharing.

If Google Docs were to implement a Web clipper and have a decent notetaking Web app, I would seriously consider ending my Evernote premium account. While the inconvenience of moving and reorganizing my notes locks me in somewhat, I would probably suffer the inconvenience, and even somewhat less functionality, for better collaboration. With all the companies developing applications for Google Apps, I wouldn't be surprised to see products in that environment that compete with Evernote. Or Microsoft could integrate One Note with SharePoint/MS Live for collaborative notebooks (maybe they already do, I've not looked at OneNote in a while).

I think better collaboration features are critical to Evernote's business. Well, at least it is very important to keeping me paying my yearly subscription.

• Level 5*

There's ample evidence that Evernote didn't focus on business collaboration as a primary goal. My guess is that they'll have to go there eventually, though, and they are certainly making improvments.

• Level 5*
Evernote is a great personal note taking and organization tool, but its collaboration features are lacking.

You just hit the nail on the head. :)

This has been discussed in other threads. Many of us agree that Evernote Sharing is NOT ready for serious collaboration.

For Evernote Sharing limitations, see sharing / multiple users with update capability

If you need a serious collaboration tool now (or for the foreseeable future), you will need to look elsewhere.

• Level 5

There's ample evidence that Evernote didn't focus on business collaboration as a primary goal. My guess is that they'll have to go there eventually, though, and they are certainly making improvments.

The Evernote CEO has strongly expressed his opinion on the typical enterprise software.

"... we think eventually more and more corporate folk will realize that their normal enterprise software is crappy and unappealing and, as these people get into senior management positions, things like Evernote will gain some official traction.
We're not going to make an "enterprise" version of Evernote.
"

"Our goal is to be the permanent, trusted and ubiquitous place for all your lifetime memories. We're committed to making Evernote fit into every part of that life - school, work, family, hobbies, etc. The focus will always be on you, the person experiencing that life, not on your friends, or your teachers, or your boss. There's already enough stuff that focuses on those."

p.s. Yes, I know there are some out there who will point out that CEO's can be replaced. Let's just hope that Phil has a long run at Evernote.

• Level 5*

"Our goal is to be the permanent, trusted and ubiquitous place for all your lifetime memories. We're committed to making Evernote fit into every part of that life - school, work, family, hobbies, etc. The focus will always be on you, the person experiencing that life, not on your friends, or your teachers, or your boss. There's already enough stuff that focuses on those."

JB, thanks for that quote. I knew I had read it somewhere, and I now have it Evernoted.

In the last few months I heard a talk by Phil Libin where he expanded the Evernote goal to also "making you smarter."

I'm not sure what this means. Do you have any quotes on this?

• Level 5

In the last few months I heard a talk by Phil Libin where he expanded the Evernote goal to also "making you smarter."

I'm not sure what this means. Do you have any quotes on this?

Here are a couple:

Phil Libin - Can Evernote's software make you smarter?

http://tech.fortune....ote-phil-libin/

and

Phil Libin - Surround yourself with smarter people

The entire speech

(but no mention of Due Dates)

I must take exception with those who cite Evernote's business strategy to focus on consumers, rather than Enterprise, whenever someone asks for better collaboration features. How is asking for shared notebooks that allow everyone with whom it is shared to easily add their own notes. For decades I've use shared folders on home networks, I use iTunes shared libraries, I use Google Docs for sharing and collaboratively working on docs with family members. Any isn't collaboration a large part of social networking sites as well? Collaboration and social use is a HUGE focus of software developed for consumer use.

• Level 5*

Another collaboration alternative - Wunderlist - looks similar to trello. seems like a number of "to-do" apps are looking to widen their application.

We have recently renewed our commitment to make sharing in Evernote more usable and fun...

Good to hear; not that collaboration is a major feature of my life at the moment, but it clearly is a significant interest. Please don't confuse the current options with multiple menus and sub menus of options though - I need my external brain to be a quick look-up of stuff I want to remember and (maybe) share with others, not another source of information overload that I'll need another new app to help deal with!

Anything needing more commercial levels of collaboration surely should be a different product, or an add-in?

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5*

We have recently renewed our commitment to make sharing in Evernote more usable and fun...

Good to hear; not that collaboration is a major feature of my life at the moment, but it clearly is a significant interest. Please don't confuse the current options with multiple menus and sub menus of options though - I need my external brain to be a quick look-up of stuff I want to remember and (maybe) share with others, not another source of information overload that I'll need another new app to help deal with!

Anything needing more commercial levels of collaboration surely should be a different product, or an add-in?

I don't really see how you could make another product for collaboration. Either you have shared NB or you don't. Having the Shared NB on a separate tab, to be separately searched, is already a major PITA. When I search Evernote, I want to search everything except what I explicitly exclude by filters.

With the proper design, you should not even be aware of a sharing option, beyond a simple menu selection (right-click and select "Share").

IF you choose to share a NB, then, and only then, would you be presented with the setup and options for sharing. (Maybe a separate tab in Options/Preferences for "Sharing", and a right-click and select "Sharing Properties")

IMO, the Shared NB should integrated with the normal NB, with perhaps an icon of different shape and color to easily distinguish them from normal NB.

You should be able to right-click on a Shared NB and get the sharing info/options without having to change to another tab.

My point is adding sharing options/controls should nearly invisible unless you want to share, and then ONLY when you want to see them.

Archived