(Archived) Evernote pdf sync is not incremental sync??

I put a 9mb pdf in my evernote, and then open it directly in evernote by preview. Then I annotate it, just highlight a line, and quit preview.

And I find my monthly quota lose 9mb.

Evernote is not syncing only the highlight part but syncing it as a whole new pdf.

Why won't you only sync the increment part like dropbox?

No, you misunderstand what I mean.

For example, you have 60mb quota as free user. Then you upload a 10mb pdf, and draw 6 lines in it. oops. your monthly allowance gone.

I think, evernote should only sync the annotation on the pdf, not to sync it as a brand new file.

For example, you have 60mb quota as free user. Then you upload a 10mb pdf, and draw 6 lines in it. oops. your monthly allowance gone.

I think, evernote should only sync the annotation on the pdf, not to sync it as a brand new file.

No, I didn't misunderstand. Please reread my reply. You may also find this thread helpful. EN functions differently from Dropbox. If you want Dropbox functionality, you should use Dropbox. EN's focus is on collecting & retrieving notes.

• 1 year later...

No, I didn't misunderstand. Please reread my reply. You may also find this thread helpful. EN functions differently from Dropbox. If you want Dropbox functionality, you should use Dropbox. EN's focus is on collecting & retrieving notes.

Your link to "You may also find this thread helpful." does not seem to work. Could you try again to link to it?

• Level 5*

Hi. The two services are structured differently.

Basically, Evernote works by monthly upload allowances. Dropbox works by giving you an allotted amount of space. Every time you change a single thing in a PDF, Evernote has to upload the whole thing again. Dropbox works exactly the same (it is not an incremental sync, as far as I know), except it happens to be a different business model, so it doesn't "count" the change, and you can move as many files through that space as you want.

So, in general, I use Evernote for text and completed stuff. I use Dropbox for large files and works in progress.

Archived