Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
iOS

Evernote iPad very slow typing

evernote

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#21 Metrodon

Metrodon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Bankrobber
  • Group: Members
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:37 AM

There is no public issue tracking system.

If you have feature suggestions then the forum is the place to put them.

#22 jaypo

jaypo

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:20 PM

I love evernote and use it constantly. However I noticed this happening as well in the past few days. Today I turned off the wifi while I was typing and it sped things up to where I wasn't waiting for the words to appear I just typed. It seems like it is trying to sync or update while typing. At any rate just a guess at this point as I haven't tried anything else.

-looking for a fix-

#23 newmanlee

newmanlee

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:49 PM

On my iPad the slow typing only happens in Landscape mode. When I switch to Portrait mode, the typing is fine.

#24 Olefin

Olefin

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:38 AM

Interesting observation newmanlee, I'll try it. It might be enough to keep using Evernote.

I downloaded the new version today - no joy, the problem is still there.

#25 SMorales

SMorales

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

Sorry to sound like a broken record but the slow speed is painful. I'm a fast keyboarder and it takes so long for my ipad to catch up I would forget where I was. Had to uninstall and hope patch is coming soon.

#26 sebastian1124

sebastian1124

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:41 AM

I notice that comments on evernote running slow on ipad go back to as far as January. Mine still has this problem and it can be very annoying. Is there going to be a solution?

#27 Olefin

Olefin

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:26 AM

Bump this one.

Evernote guys - great idea but you need to execute. My premium subscription is due.

If I could use the old plain text version of the iPad app that actually worked, I'd renew.

#28 profserious

profserious

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:16 AM

I just cannot understand why this is not being tackled. Slow performance, word wrap screwed up, select all and magnifying glass not 100% reliable. These are the basics. Your app store rating is plunging through the floor. No feedback on the schedule for a fix. I -paid- for this service. I do not normally complain or make a fuss but my patience is becoming exhausted.

#29 Metrodon

Metrodon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Bankrobber
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:42 PM

I just cannot understand why this is not being tackled. Slow performance, word wrap screwed up, select all and magnifying glass not 100% reliable. These are the basics. Your app store rating is plunging through the floor. No feedback on the schedule for a fix. I -paid- for this service. I do not normally complain or make a fuss but my patience is becoming exhausted.

Whilst fully understanding the problem you are having (and suffering from it myself), it should also be understood that you are not paying for the iPad client or any other client for that matter.

As a premium customer you are paying for increased note size, more monthly traffic, note history etc - the client is free whatever kind of user you are.

#30 ants5040

ants5040

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:37 PM

Whilst fully understanding the problem you are having (and suffering from it myself), it should also be understood that you are not paying for the iPad client or any other client for that matter.

As a premium customer you are paying for increased note size, more monthly traffic, note history etc - the client is free whatever kind of user you are.

This is a strange comment - although we are not paying for the client, if the client doesn't work, people will stop using the service!

Please can we have an update on this, as it's seriously hampering my efforts to 'sell' Evernote within my company.

Is there anything *anything* Evernote need to help you resolve this issue?

#31 BartN

BartN

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:24 PM

I have the same problem. EverNote is my main note taking device, i skipped all my paper. This slow typing is a big issue for me.Why cannot this be solved?

#32 RobN

RobN

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

I'm a long-time & loyal user of Evernote, but at a conference today the delay between typing &seeing text on the screen was so LNG that I gave up & Pages instead. Really not good, as I thought last version upgrade fixed the sync problem that I suspect is behind this.

Evernote Team, please can you fix this ASAP thank-you?

I'd be happy to beta test any fixes.

Best regards,

#33 Bojan011

Bojan011

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:36 PM

Bumping this topic, because I am facing the same issue and I don't seem to see the fix. This has lead me to not capturing enough information through my iOS devices at all. This is not the only problem of iOS Evernote, there is also an issue of the app itself being slower than it should. Pretty much everything on iOS works instantenously once it's turned on, except the Evernote...
Productivity and efficiency junkie. Blogging on mobile devices, helping you to get more things done.

AlphaEfficiency
Evernote tips

#34 Phil Dean

Phil Dean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: British Food Lover
  • 464 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:47 PM

Have you tried the latest client 4.1.6 to see if this helps
Check out our Knowledgebase.
View our User Manuals here: Mac or
Windows
Check out the Getting Started Guide
Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#35 cynwren

cynwren

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

I did. I downloaded 4.1.6 last night, and this morning had to abandon a note I was typing in EN because it was taking several seconds for typed characters to appear. I was adding text to an existing note that consisted of a PDF attachment, no prior text entry.

BTW, the PDF icon on this same note sometimes gets displayed as a QuickTime file icon. If I click away and then back into the note, it's corrected, and the PDF opens fine. Have not seen that quirk before and have had this note around for several months.

#36 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,215 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:01 PM

I uninstalled Evernote and installed the latest 4.1.6 update.

Wow. Today was achingly slow. I typed a whole sentence before it finally appeared on the screen (bluetooth keyboard). What happened?

#37 cynwren

cynwren

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:59 AM

I did. I downloaded 4.1.6 last night, and this morning had to abandon a note I was typing in EN because it was taking several seconds for typed characters to appear. I was adding text to an existing note that consisted of a PDF attachment, no prior text entry.

BTW, the PDF icon on this same note sometimes gets displayed as a QuickTime file icon. If I click away and then back into the note, it's corrected, and the PDF opens fine. Have not seen that quirk before and have had this note around for several months.

I wanted to add that, aside from the laggy text, 4.1.6 is working well for me. Formatting issues seem resolved. Thank you!

#38 GerWol

GerWol

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:32 AM

Hi.

Even after the latest version, the slow text entry continues. I can complete a whole sentence before it appears on the screen. The main area where this becomes a problem is with note-taking, which unfortunately is the very reason for existence of evernote. I use this on my IPad (with and without a Bluetooth keyboard) and my iPhone and experience the problem on both, but not on the PC version.

Hope this gets fixed soon.

#39 E-NoteForum

E-NoteForum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 274 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

While 4.1.6 has made improvements with formatting, the performance got worse for me. I have 4 cross-country flights in the next week, so I signed up for a one-month premium account (the flights plus 4.1.6's formatting improvements made me feel okay about at least paying for a month, although it's set not to recur ... Evernote needs to keep steadily improving the iOS app to keep me paying).

I was using Evernote on my flight yesterday with airplane mode turned on, and the performance made it totally unusable. The app would freeze for anywhere from 3 to 8 seconds, completely unresponsive. Of course, trying to fix the errors that inevitably crop up when you type for 5+ seconds without seeing an on-screen response was made more difficult by the baffling lack of the magnifying glass.

I tried to see if quitting every other app on my iPad would help, but it didn't. The problem is contained to Evernote alone.

This happened while typing and while simply scrolling. I paid for the offline access specifically so I could do some work while flying, and was disappointed at the atrocious performance. Sadly, it's another "not a single other iOS app I use has this problem" forehead-slapper from Evernote.

I ended up copy/pasting everything into the iPad's built-in mail app, where performance was 100% smooth and had no lag whatsoever.

I did open the exact same note later, when not in airplane mode, and found that typing and scrolling were better (though they still had inexplicable and inexcusable lag for no reason, just not as bad as before).

Since the problems were much worse when I had my iPad 2 in airplane mode, I wonder if it was doing some sort of online check that was failing and freezing the app. Not that that makes it okay, but it might help the devs know where to look.

Man. So frustrating. Such a seemingly simple app, still struggling with basic user interface and performance issues on the simplest possible type of data (text).

#40 acarodp

acarodp

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

Sluggish performance here too on iPad. It was not happening on 4.1.2, after that it was hard to assess since Evernote crashed at any attempt to edit a note. 4.1.6 cured the crashes but now I have the (much less annoying, of course) problem of very slow typiyng when editing a note.

Notice that when I start editing everything seems fine, the problem starts to manifest after perhaps a couple lines have been typed, and gets worse and worse. Exiting editing, allowing Evernote to sync and restarting the edit resets the problem, which shows up again after a while, getting gradually so bad that I can type whole sentences before the keyboard feedback and Evernote unfreeze.

I have noticed this with (at least) one specific pre-existing note which had a fairly complex formatting, a newly created plain text note does not seem to be affected.

I will open a ticket but right now it seems an annoying issue for me but not a show stopper

L.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ios, evernote

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote