Can you please add a "Are you sure?" confirmation to delete?

suntereo

Idea

I accidentally clicked on the Delete button on the toolbar, and my note just disappeared and was gone... just like that. It sure would make me a little more confident that I won't lose valuable work if there was a confirmation that asked, "Are you sure?" before deleting. Could you add this in? Or at least have an option under settings for this?

Thanks so much for reading this. Shawn--

• Like 3

62 replies to this idea

It's in your Trash, you can get it from there.

The "Date Created" will remain at the date you created the note.

But the "Updated" date will be the date that you restore it from Trash. I'm not a techie, but I can't understand why the developer thinks that deleting a note, and then retrieving it from Trash, should be considered an update rather than a restore.

• Like 1

On my laptop, delete is adjacent to the arrow keys, and I'm constantly "accidentally" deleting notes. Since there's no visual indication that I've done so, more times than not, I don't even know that I should be heading to Trash to "undelete."

And the fact that emptying the trash (at some future point) does remind me to review what I'm doing, it often contains hundreds of deleted notes. I'm supposed to make time to stop and read every one each time, so the developers don't have to take the time to make confirmation an option?

That's a diabolical design oversight in a product that's supposed to help us safely preserve "everything."

I understand why some might not like it, and absolutely understand why some of us must have it (especially with some keyboard layouts). Make it an option, please!

• Like 5

+1 for this feature.

I can't believe I have so much of my notes accidentally deleted!

And it is a waste of time searching through my deleted notes trying to find which ones are accidentally deleted.

And to make things worse I have to also consider the notes that I have merged together. The individual notes get deleted and restoring that would be creating a duplicate.

For now the only workaround I found was spg SCOTT's AutoHotKey script found here:http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/13384-en4-beta-need-delete-confirmation-for-notes/

Have yet to try it out

• Like 1

+1 for this feature.

I can't believe I have so much of my notes accidentally deleted!

And it is a waste of time searching through my deleted notes trying to find which ones are accidentally deleted.

And to make things worse I have to also consider the notes that I have merged together. The individual notes get deleted and restoring that would be creating a duplicate.

For now the only workaround I found was spg SCOTT's AutoHotKey script found here:http://discussion.ev...tion-for-notes/

Have yet to try it out

I suppose another option is to be more careful about what buttons you are clicking. Personally, if I kept clicking it that often, I would use the customize toolbar option (right click on the toolbar) to move the delete button to an area away from the buttons I'm most often clicking.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I customized my toolbar so that the trash appears far away from anything I regularly click. I think it would be pretty difficult for me to accidentally throw anything away, besides the fact that it is all quite easily recoverable. I would definitely not like to see a message asking if I really want to do something. These are the kinds of messages that drive me nuts!

• Like 3

Please do NOT change the way this currently works. I would rather lose the odd note every 6 months (and retrieve it from trash) rather than get prompted hundreds of times about if "I'm sure" I want to delete it.

• Like 2

On my laptop, delete is adjacent to the arrow keys, and I'm constantly "accidentally" deleting notes. Since there's no visual indication that I've done so, more times than not, I don't even know that I should be heading to Trash to "undelete."

And the fact that emptying the trash (at some future point) does remind me to review what I'm doing, it often contains hundreds of deleted notes. I'm supposed to make time to stop and read every one each time, so the developers don't have to take the time to make confirmation an option?

That's a diabolical design oversight in a product that's supposed to help us safely preserve "everything."

I understand why some might not like it, and absolutely understand why some of us must have it (especially with some keyboard layouts). Make it an option, please!

Is this a default configuration? I imagine this causes much of a headache everywhere...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Is this a default configuration? I imagine this causes much of a headache everywhere...

Perceptive question. On the Mac (wisely) the default configuration doesn't even contain the trash. Perhaps the Windows team ought to consider removing it from the default view or moving it.

• Like 1

I think that dlu and Tom are referring to the placement of the delete key on the keyboard, rather than the placement of the delete buttons in EN.

The linked post of mine above was in reference to the delete key, rather than the button, and so the AHK script acts on that.

With regards to a deletion confirmation dialog, I guess this is something that EN could do, but also include a checkbox to not show it again. This is something that they have done before with other deletions, and managing the option is (from a user point of view) relatively easy being a registry key.

I think if it were implemented in the future, I would hope for an option to hide it, which I personally would use.

Interestingly, I have new note and delete right next to each other in the toolbar, and have never had an issue with deletion. Just me though...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I think that dlu and Tom are referring to the placement of the delete key on the keyboard, rather than the placement of the delete buttons in EN.

The linked post of mine above was in reference to the delete key, rather than the button, and so the AHK script acts on that.

With regards to a deletion confirmation dialog, I guess this is something that EN could do, but also include a checkbox to not show it again. This is something that they have done before with other deletions, and managing the option is (from a user point of view) relatively easy being a registry key.

I think if it were implemented in the future, I would hope for an option to hide it, which I personally would use.

Interestingly, I have new note and delete right next to each other in the toolbar, and have never had an issue with deletion. Just me though...

Oh. The delete key on the keyboard? Interesting. I guess I have never accidentally deleted anything in that fashion. I thought he was talking about the toolbar. The dialogue box with a checkbox would be OK with me, but I'd just check the box and hope to never see it again :)

Please do NOT change the way this currently works. I would rather lose the odd note every 6 months (and retrieve it from trash) rather than get prompted hundreds of times about if "I'm sure" I want to delete it.

Yes it does make sense. But maybe an option would be good.

Or better when a note gets deleted let there be a pop-up to make the user aware that he has deleted the note. Or even better in the place of that note let it be greyed out with an undo button like sometimes which we see in Facebook.

As mentioned, some keyboards have the delete key very close to certain keys we use often. For my case its the home button which I frequent.

I also beleive that it might be better if a confirmation question (asking whether you are sure about deleting) is put optionally and Ieave it to the user whether to use it or not....

but I must also admit that the option for sorting according to the deleted date in the trash folder is very helpful... if you realize that you have deleted sth, that will help... but the problem is what if you do not realize a deleted note?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I also beleive that it might be better if a confirmation question (asking whether you are sure about deleting) is put optionally and Ieave it to the user whether to use it or not....

but I must also admit that the option for sorting according to the deleted date in the trash folder is very helpful... if you realize that you have deleted sth, that will help... but the problem is what if you do not realize a deleted note?

Actually, this is a problem, isn't it. I have deleted things on accident and wondered how they got there. I know this might be way beyond the pale, but I think it would be cool if we could have a note generated each day (optional, of course) detailing our activity. I'd like to know all sorts of diagnostic stuff and have it in an easily digestible form.

Report for August 13, 2012

12 notes changed

20 notes created

3 notes deleted

2 notebooks shared

1 shared notebook deleted

Changed notes

blah blah details

Created notes

blah blah blah details

Deleted notes

blah blah blah details

Actually, this is a problem, isn't it. I have deleted things on accident and wondered how they got there. I know this might be way beyond the pale, but I think it would be cool if we could have a note generated each day (optional, of course) detailing our activity. I'd like to know all sorts of diagnostic stuff and have it in an easily digestible form.

Report for August 13, 2012

12 notes changed

20 notes created

3 notes deleted

2 notebooks shared

1 shared notebook deleted

Changed notes

blah blah details

Created notes

blah blah blah details

Deleted notes

blah blah blah details

viewing the trash folder by sorting the notes according to deleted days might perhaps work to keep track of the deleted files... but still an option for certain folders not to let notes to be deleted so easily is a must... I have carried all the database of a petition system to evernote and tagged them accordingly. If a note is deleted accidentially, this means that this petition will never be answered, which is a huge problem... I am still glad that I have changed my system to evernote, before that I did not have any system, using google forms to collect petitions, but would be very happy to have an option to restrict deletion of notes in certain folders.

Of course, the simple solution would be to make this a user-configurable option. I would much prefer a confirmation dialog box, and it doesn't even have to slow things up much hitting Delete-Enter. At least this would avoid deleting items without even realizing it.

Used to be able to fix this in the registry, not sure if that still applies

(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EverNote\EverNote\ConfirmationList\SingleNodeDelete)
  • Level 5*

I customized my toolbar so that the trash appears far away from anything I regularly click. I think it would be pretty difficult for me to accidentally throw anything away, besides the fact that it is all quite easily recoverable. I would definitely not like to see a message asking if I really want to do something. These are the kinds of messages that drive me nuts!

I removed Trash from my toolbar. I have to either hit the DEL key on the keyboard in list View, or manually select Note|Delete from the menu. Both are nearly impossible to do accidentally.

• Level 5*

Dunno about that, it's pretty easy to hit the delete key accidentally.

It only works if the main EN client is the focus and the list of notes is the focus. It doesn't work if a note is open and the focus, or if you are in the note body or the tag/notebook list.

But I've also been using computers for years and know where the delete key is, so hitting it accidentally isn't a frequent occurrence for me. For people that it is, just get your note out of the trash can. 

That's missing the point - it's easy enough to retrieve a note from trash, but what happens when you don't realize it was deleted in the first place? It's beyond me why they don't provide an option to confirm delete.

I cast my vote for this feature as an option - it's been my biggest issue with Evernote so far.  What has happened to me a few times is that I think I'm in the Evernote search bar editing my search words, but for some reason the search bar has lost cursor focus... so I hit the delete key a number of times (thinking I'm deleting a word in my search term) and end up deleting a slewful of important notes.  Only today through this thread did I find that you can sort your trash by deleted date, this is a big help, but it is still crazy that I have to stop what I'm doing and search through the trash (and this causes the 'updated date' on the notes to be set to current when restored).  This has happened to me way to many times now, an optional delete confirmation would fix this nicely.

• Like 1

Another quick solution would be to support "Undo" for deletions.  It seems very strange that this is not supported, even Windows file explorer understands a CTRL-Z to get your stuff back after a delete.  (Though to be done properly this should be able to undo in sequence, not just one last thing).

I can certainly agree with that! Another related reason is that for anyone with shaky motor control, hitting buttons by accident is an easy and unavoidable occurence. I'm by no means a techy, but am nor am I a complete novice when it comes to comptuers and in the last few years can personally attest to motor control issues resulting in accidentally hitting keys.

I *love* programs that have the option to ask if I'm sure I want to proceed with certain actions, especially deleting.

That's missing the point - it's easy enough to retrieve a note from trash, but what happens when you don't realize it was deleted in the first place? It's beyond me why they don't provide an option to confirm delete.

+1 I've wittingly deleted several notes due to not having a prompt. It happens most often when I'm trying to modify a search using the delete button. If I enter an extra delete after the removing the last search term, a note will be deleted if highlighted.

By the way, is there a way to check the status of particular issues (like this one) to see if they are being considered by Evernote Development? Like a status of "In Progress", "Working As Designed", etc.

Thanks!

Unfortunately no. Evernote does not share their roadmap.

+1 I've wittingly deleted several notes due to not having a prompt. It happens most often when I'm trying to modify a search using the delete button. If I enter an extra delete after the removing the last search term, a note will be deleted if highlighted.

By the way, is there a way to check the status of particular issues (like this one) to see if they are being considered by Evernote Development? Like a status of "In Progress", "Working As Designed", etc.

Thanks!

If I may suggest, it would be great to add a new checkbox under Tools > Options > Note, "Confirm delete from keyboard".

After reading the comments above, it seems that the keyboard Del key is the source of the problem. By making the "Confirm delete" apply only to the Del key, and not affect the deletion using the Delete/Trash icon on the toolbar, this should keep everyone happy.

Should satisfy all these groups:

- Delete cautious or Delete rarely (won't have the Delete/Trash icon visible on their toolbar)

- Delete middle of the road (may have Trash icon), and may tick the tickbox

- Delete carefree (will have Trash icon visible and will have checkbox unticked)

Finally, when creating a new installation, please set the new checkbox ticked, but don't worry about existing users; just announce it in the release notes, so they can tick it if they want.

Thanks for a great product, EN team.

• Like 1

Two comments here:

1) I strongly vote for adding an option to Confirm Delete. If Evernote makes this a checkbox in Tools--Options, it would please everyone, as several people have pointed out here. Check or uncheck as you like. Power to the user = happy Evernote customers = healthy long-term relationship.

2) On a wider note, this discussion thread has been here a while, and the Evernote people are not responding (I've noticed this problem in other threads as well). If the Windows tech people at Evernote don't know how to add this sort of option (and one suspects that might be the case here), that's one problem. But the bigger problem, Evernote Staff, is that you're not adding to this discussion. If you are serious about being a "100 year company," I'd like to suggest that it's very important for you to show up at these discussions and engage with us. We are hearing crickets, and it doesn't speak well for our long-term commitment to each other.

Not to belabor the point (well ok, maybe a little) but the combination of no confirmation with no "undo" is a particularly glaring flaw for a product that is meant to security store your information forever.  Digging through the "Trash" folder to see what I may have accidentally deleted recently is an odd solution.

Regarding the Evernote engagement discussed above, I entirely agree, but also note that too many large companies (Microsoft and Apple come to mind) fall victim to this as well.  Not engaging with the most invested and enthusiastic users is missing a huge opportunity to improve the popularity of Evernote.

I have no idea how you keep hitting the delete button...

I could see adding a message letting you know that a note was put in the trash and including an "Undo" - that's pretty standard of most modern UXs, but displaying a confirmation everytime I delete would drive me insane.

• Like 3

I have no idea how you keep hitting the delete button...

I could see adding a message letting you know that a note was put in the trash and including an "Undo" - that's pretty standard of most modern UXs, but displaying a confirmation everytime I delete would drive me insane.

Well, that's why a lot of suggestions are to make it a user option, which is the best solution.

As to how I personally hit the delete button "accidentally", I am often editing a search in the text search box, and pressing <delete> to delete some of the text in that box (<delete> on a Mac is backspace), and for some unknown reason at random times Evernote will change the "focus" of the action from the text box to the list of notes.  So I start by deleting text in the search box, and I end by deleting a bunch of notes without noticing it.

I haven't figured out exactly what causes the focus to change from the text box to the notes list, it could be position of my mouse, or another application doing something, but the point is that it is very easy to delete a note when in fact you intended to delete text in the search box.

• Like 2

Nobody is asking for a change in the default operation of the delete key - only for an option to require confirmation. Are people really arguing that Evernote should not offer that option?

And besides (not that this is relevant, but what the heck), hitting Delete-Enter is maybe a microsecond slower than just hitting Delete.

• Level 5

Nobody is asking for a change in the default operation of the delete key - only for an option to require confirmation. Are people really arguing that Evernote should not offer that option?

And besides (not that this is relevant, but what the heck), hitting Delete-Enter is maybe a microsecond slower than just hitting Delete.

Well, usually I am sure that I want to delete a note and when I make a mistake I still can find the note in the trash. I don't need a confirmation when there is a trash. But an option to use a confirmation or not would be fine but I think we have many much more important problems to fix.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Thanks Stuhrer. Just curious - which important problems are you referring to?

Well, when I look to the problems and complaints reported in this forum there seem to be many. I also find and report bugs and I would like to have better editing possibilities for Mac, iOS and the Web client that I am using at work under Linux. And the '*****-storm' like discussions regarding the latest Penultimate and Mac updates will give the developers enough to work on for the coming weeks and months.

• Level 5*

The problem is not with the Notes that you know you have just accidentally deleted, but with those that get deleted and you don't discover it for months, maybe even years.  Some notes may be irreplaceable.

Evernote does have lots of problems it needs to address, but, IMO, data integrity should be at the top of the list.

Compared with all of the other changes that have significant technical challenges, adding a confirmation is surely less difficult.

• Like 1

Thanks for clarifying why accidental deleting is a problem, it just seems totally backwards to program an extra delete setting like that, when the whole 'stop and prompt' route against the general direction for good UX. Also there is a much simplier and easier way to solve this problem:

Re-Map the hotkey command for deleting a note in Mac from Delete to CMD+Delete

Done, no accidental deleting, extra settings, or features that now need to be maintained needed. Throw in a "Note has been deleted. Undo" message and it's even better.

NOTE: For clarification, I know that as a user you can't re-map the hot key for delete, I'm referring to having the Evernote team just change the key mapping in the code. It would be a relatively painless fix.

• Like 2

Another +1 from a paid user. Today I was almost in a panic because a crucial note was nowhere to be found, and apparently I accidentally deleted it some time ago. Data integrity is the number one issue for a user knowledge store like Evernote.  Because this note disappeared on me, I now will likely manually back it up, and may decide to do that with other crucial notes.

In case you are curious about the ability of the users with this request, I am on my 30th year of heavy computer use, both as a developer and also in academia (I have a PhD in CS).  I am a relative newcomer to EN, having only been a heavy user for the last 2 years.

I would like to add my name to this!  I have been a happy Evernote user for a couple of years - until tonite, when I accidentally deleted most of a note - and found out that there does not seem to be a way to retrieve the data!  Whoa - hours of work down the drain!  First of all, it is very easy to do this - I don't even know what I did. When I try to highlight sections, the margin gets moved, and the whole note gets highlighted.  Secondly, you can't use the undo command!  There are some serious flaws here and I hope Evernote addresses them.  I will have to stop and think before I use Evernote now.

I dont know if this has been said. I subscribe to evernote business to share data with my employees. When I delete business notes I get a confirm to delete request from evernote. I does have an option to disable this. I have no idea where to enable it again since I can't find it in settings. I would rather enable it for my private notes instead.

So apparently Evernote already have this feature of confirming before delete. It is only not activated for private notes.

This is really making Evernote look bad. I would even pay extra to have the feature for my private notes since I know how easy it is to accidentally delete notes slipping or being in the wrong focus.

Another +1 for this feature. I really want to get a confirmation prompt every time I try to delete a note. Making it CMD+Delete would be good too.

It's currently very easy to accidentally delete notes. If you know you've deleted them, no problem - restore from trash - but if you don't know, you've got a problem. For example, my cat just deleted three notes when he walked across my keyboard; he could have wiped out hundreds if he'd paused a little longer. If I'd been away from the desk for a moment I wouldn't have known - now I wonder how many records the little guy's erased for me. These days my computer's getting a little long in the tooth and laggy, so Evernote doesn't respond as quickly as it used to. I still haven't figured out how exactly I'm doing it, but there have been times when I've been searching and backspaced to retype something, but Evernote's off doing something a few steps prior and suddenly I've found I've deleted notes. It's just too easy - please add a confirmation prompt for deletions.

+1 on this!
Having just written a note, I lifted my laptop and happened to hit "delete" (PC) and the current note dissapeard. Tried undo and trash to no avail.
Luckily my wife could make a copy of the note before it synced out. 

Flabbergasted that one can so easily erase notes and have no second chance (apart from sync latency).

I noticed that (after many years) the latest update, at least on the Mac version, the Delete key no longer deletes notes (you must use Command-Delete), which is a major step forward on this issue for me.  An optional confirmation still wouldn't hurt, but the fact that I will no longer delete notes when I think I'm actually deleting words in a search term is a big improvement.  Thanks evernote for finally addressing some of this, though it did take a rather long time......

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, George G said:

I noticed that (after many years) the latest update, at least on the Mac version, the Delete key no longer deletes notes (you must use Command-Delete), which is a major step forward on this issue for me.  An optional confirmation still wouldn't hurt, but the fact that I will no longer delete notes when I think I'm actually deleting words in a search term is a big improvement.  Thanks evernote for finally addressing some of this, though it did take a rather long time......

Yes. That was a deliberate change in the latest build to mimic how you delete files on the Mac - CTRL-Delete. EN was apparently getting a LOT of support issues with people thinking they were deleting characters and if the focus was wrong, notes started vanishing.

1 hour ago, George G said:

I noticed that (after many years) the latest update, at least on the Mac version, the Delete key no longer deletes notes (you must use Command-Delete)

Apparently this advance has not yet reached the PC version. Sigh

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, opus974 said:

Apparently this advance has not yet reached the PC version. Sigh

No, but it isn't as big of a deal. Few people delete text with the delete key on Windows. We use backspace when typing. Using the delete key is a very deliberate keystroke in edit mode. On the Mac, the delete key is used for backspace and is very commonly used, and way to easy to delete an entire note. It would be like deleting notes in the Windows version with the Backspace key. That would be bad.

And, [DELETE] alone is how you delete files in Windows, so it is consistent.

37 minutes ago, EdH said:

No, but it isn't as big of a deal. Few people delete text with the delete key on Windows. We use backspace when typing. Using the delete key is a very deliberate keystroke in edit mode.

True, but it's also exceptionally easy to accidentally hit the delete key and not realize you've deleted one or more notes. Dunno why it's such a big deal for the developers to include an optional confirmation dialog.

On my Windows keyboard the Delete key is right above the Home key.  It's too easy to hit the wrong key by mistake or just brush it and without knowing it you've deleted a note.  I know it's easy to get the note back from Trash but that is not the point if you don't know you have deleted the note.  I can't understand why, after all this time (this thread goes back to 2012), Evernote have not introduced a "Do you really want to delete" flag which for those who don't want it can be switched off in Options.  For a tool, like Evernote, that is used to store such a lot of its users' data, not to have a safety flag is very weak point.

To me it is incredibly obvious that the EN product as currently designed makes it very easy to accidentally delete Notes and not realize you have done that.   You then empty the trash a month later and irretrievably lose information.   It's simply a bad design and I cannot believe they did not have a warning of deletion of Notes in a modal dialog as the default behavior.

I would agree that many people here do NOT want to have a prompt every time that they delete a note (and I delete dozens per week), and that this should therefore be an optional feature.

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, idoc said:

I would agree that many people here do NOT want to have a prompt every time that they delete a note (and I delete dozens per week), and that this should therefore be an optional feature.

Sounds like a good compromise to me.  

Please indicate your support for this request using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion
I added my vote, and the vote count is currently 1

btw  Since we're using Macs, we can script our own process for deleting notes

I understand there are those who prefer to leave it as is (delete without confirmation). Shouldn't be any reason that it can't be optional. But just as an FYI, there are some programs that require confirmations, with no other option - and I find that hitting Delete-Enter is not much slower than hitting just Delete.

On 6/14/2012 at 4:24 PM, idoc said:

Or, you know, make it an option that can be enabled or disabled...

I use the desktop version and I have accidently deleted my fair share of notes by pressing the del key by accident.