Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

Searching by attachments extensions

evernote

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 blaite

blaite

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:25 PM

Hi
I sit possible to search for some specific types of files?
When I search for ".pdf" now I also get every note that has this in text, and I do not want that.

#2 emerick

emerick

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 523 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:08 PM

The Attributes section in the left panel will help here. For example, use Attributes -> Contains -> PDF Document. As an alternative, you can perform a manual search for resource:application/pdf (also resource:image/png, resource:image/gif, resource:image/*, etc.)
- Emerick Rogul (Evernote)

#3 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Explorer
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:57 PM

Evernote is a very powerful system allowing us to enter many thousands of Notes.

However, documentation of the Advanced Search syntax is so poor and/or difficult to use as to effectively restrict searches to Tags and full text. PLEASE, can someone write a decent, complete, User's Guide to Advanced Searches?

I need a search that will return all Notes that have an Excel document attached.

Can't figure out how to do this even after a very diligent effort (waste of time) locating, reading, searching, the various Evernote sources that MIGHT tell me how to do this. I have used/searched the following documents:

[*:3t6vgiqf]Help > Online Help
[*:3t6vgiqf]Knowledge Base
[*:3t6vgiqf]Windows User Guide
[*:3t6vgiqf]Evernote API Overview
Is it too much to ask that, like many apps today, you could provide a Help Search feature in ALL your apps ( Help > Search)?
If I enter "search attachment type" this Help feature would return a list of topics including the EXACT syntax to search for notes with an attachment of specific file type (Excel, Word, PDF, etc).

What I did find was very frustrating:

resource: Allows you to search for notes that contain specific types of media (audio, images, etc.).
resource:image/jpg will return all notes containing an embedded JPG image.
resource:audio/* will return all notes that cotain some type of audio file.

This same text is regurgitated in several places. Nowhere that I can find does it state what are the valid choices for the "resource:/" argument. This is very frustrating because it suggests there might be a way to search for a specific type of attachment (resource), but doesn't tell me how. I tried various things for the argument (like "Excel", "app.ms.excel", etc), but nothing worked.

It would be best if this Help feature worked both online and offline, but I would be absolutely delighted if you could provide an online version to begin with.

Finally, can you solve my immediate need: I need a search that will return all Notes that have an Excel document attached?

Thanks.

#4 crane

crane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:18 PM

Finally, can you solve my immediate need: I need a search that will return all Notes that have an Excel document attached?

Thanks.

I feel your pain.

From trial and error, I discovered that you can search for excel spreadsheets by looking for resource:application/vnd.ms-excel.

However, it's not guaranteed to work. For one thing, this will only find xls, not xlsx files. For another thing, sometimes a file gets imported into EN but doesn't have the right information associated with it, and then doesn't respond to such a specific search term. For instance, I once mailed myself a word doc from Lotus Notes, but I couldn't search for it. I was told by support that there was a problem with my email program.

So what I do is try a doc-type specific search first, and if I don't find what I'm looking for, open it up to a more generic resource:application/*. Instead of jumping straight to resource:application/*, you could look for application/octet-stream, which is what my email program lists attachments as (and what EN sees them as when it imports them).

One thing you can do to explore is to take a note that has an attachment you're interested in and export it to enex. Then open that file in a plain text editor (e.g. notepad). Look for a line that contains something like

application/vnd.ms-excelPlaying with Amortization Numbers.xlstrue

You can see the application type to feed to the resource: search term. You can also see how other search terms could be used, e.g., fileName:Playing* would find the note, as would attachment:true.
Grand Mistress of EverNote ;)

#5 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:05 PM

I feel your pain.
. . .
You can also see how other search terms could be used, e.g., fileName:Playing* would find the note, as would attachment:true.

Grand Mistress,

Thank you very much for a most helpful and quick response.
I think you have put me on the right track.

I tried the following in the Search block, and it seems to find all Excel files that have an extension that begins with "xls":
filename:"*.xls*"
However, I have no way of absolutely confirming this since I have not other means to identify all Notes that have an Excel attachment. But it appears correct for the half-dozen or so that I inspected. Of course, if it missed any I really wouldn't know.

Perhaps some Evernote techie can help out here.
Can you confirm that filename:"*.xls*" should return all Notes with an Excel attachment?

If so, please publish this in your KB and User's Guide so others can benefit.

Thanks again Grand Mistress.

#6 mrossk

mrossk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:07 AM

Can you confirm that filename:"*.xls*" should return all Notes with an Excel attachment?

I have tested this even with some very specific file extensions and it works great.

This question has been asked many times before in this forum. Why has no one from evernote told us that it is so simple to find files with specific extensions with filename:"*.extension"? In the last months I have spent much time to search the registry to try and find out the specific notation for each application/extension. And now I see that it is so easy :? .

The only thing that you have to know: This search is case sensitive.

Marcel.

#7 blaite

blaite

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:35 AM

Thank you all very much! This is great. Why it is not easily accessible, I have no idea! Love it.

#8 crane

crane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:00 AM

Wow, my mind is just blown. I've been using EN for YEARS and didn't know this was feasible. I know I've tried it before, e.g., trying to find filename:*.bat, but I never thought to put quotes around it.

I also didn't think it was possible to search for file extensions at all, based on reading the forum all of these years. I've even go so far as to add my own resource types into my registry editor so that I could search for filetypes that mean something to me. E.g., it's possible to add something to the registry so that I could find my *.bat files, but only those that were added since the regedit was done, and only on that one machine. Not an easy solution and one I abandoned as soon as I needed to upgrade my hardware. But with the ability to search for filename:"*.bat", my life just got a whole lot easier.

There are numerous posts on the forum about using the resource:application.... syntax, but nothing about just searching just for the extension, so either this is a new feature or just really really really undocumented.
Grand Mistress of EverNote ;)

#9 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

Well, I'm glad to see that this is working for you guys as well.

Unfortunately, this may be an unsupported feature.

[*:n4jly92q]It doesn't work on EN Mac (released or beta)
[*:n4jly92q]It doesn't work on EN iPhone
[*:n4jly92q]I submitted a bug report for EN Mac and was told it is not a bug
Let's hope that Evernote developers will see your responses and fully support this syntax across all platforms. If they do so, I also hope that will make it be case insensitive.

#10 gbarry

gbarry

• Title: Admin in Residence
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:30 PM

I've included the full list of specific file extension search terminology below.

- Search for PDF: resource:application/pdf
- Search for Doc files: resource:application/msword (does not find .docx files)
- Search for Excel files: resource:application/vnd.ms-excel
- Search for XLSX files: resource:application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet
- Search for Word files: resource:application/msword
- Search for Zip files: resource:application/x-zip-compressed
- Search for specific filenames: filename:xyz* This will find filenames that start with "xyz".

Recently added the xlsx search.

It doesn't work on EN Mac (released or beta)
It doesn't work on EN iPhone
I submitted a bug report for EN Mac and was told it is not a bug

JMichael, tested the xlsx and filename file search on iPhone/Mac, reproduced the bug. The others are working fine. Pretty sure those two *should* be working cross-platform, I'm going to go ahead and resubmit.

Check out our Knowledgebase. View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows. Check out the Getting Started Guide. Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#11 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,762 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

I think that you'll find that the extension search (e.g., filename:"*.pdf") doesn't work on the Web client either, whereas the filename search (e.g., filename:x*) does. The filename: searches appear to be case-sensitive, as noted by Marcel, which limits the utility of this search term (contrast vs., say, intitle:).
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#12 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:32 PM

@jefito: Thanks for the clarification

@gbarry: Thanks for the list, but I have a question:

Does Evernote officially support this syntax for searching for a file extension:
filename:"*.ext*"

Note the following:

[*:1xm0i5tq]The entire search value is in double-quotes
[*:1xm0i5tq]There is an asterisk both BEFORE and AFTER the search text

[*:1xm0i5tq]I found this to be key to finding a large block of Excel file types: .xls, .xlsx, .xlsb[/list]
For this to really be reliable, it must be case insensitive. I'm not sure what value is of adding case sensitivity to the filename syntax when everything else is case insensitive.

Many thanks for your prompt attention to this matter.

#13 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Evernote Geek
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:04 PM

Tested search syntax on Windows and created new Saved Search "Find notes with .png" (filename:"*.png*"). Works.
Synced to Web and then to my Touch.
The new Saved Search is visible on Web and Touch, but both return "No Notes Found".

This looks like an unintended result on Windows which could very easily stop working. Or not.
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)
Windows 7 SP1 & XP SP3 (EN 4.5.8.7356)
iPod Touch 2G (iOS 4.2.1, EN 4.1.9) / Blackberry Playbook (OS 2.0.1, EN 1.3)
Latest stable browsers & clippers(Chrome(default), Firefox, IE8/9)

#14 kvitekp

kvitekp

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • 777 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:19 PM

"filename:" search keyword is part of the Evernote Search Syntax specification published here: http://www.evernote.... ... te-api.htm, so it should not go away. All clients will eventually fully conform to the specification.

/Peter

#15 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Evernote Geek
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

@Peter. This is the only time I have seen a CONTAINS type search work on Evernote. That is the behavior that I was unsure would persist.
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)
Windows 7 SP1 & XP SP3 (EN 4.5.8.7356)
iPod Touch 2G (iOS 4.2.1, EN 4.1.9) / Blackberry Playbook (OS 2.0.1, EN 1.3)
Latest stable browsers & clippers(Chrome(default), Firefox, IE8/9)

#16 gazumped

gazumped

• Title: Operative
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:05 AM

Just trying a search in my current version of Evernote and the "resource:.." query now seems only to work for PDF files. Going to instead

I use Evernote constantly but don't speak for them.  Opinions here are my own based (more or less) on age,  experience,  and common business sense.  

Evernote read what's posted here,  and take it into consideration setting priorities;  they don't normally comment on individual cases,  or offer any forecasts or promises on whether or when a new feature might be released.  

Premium Windows & Android user in Wales, UK

EN Mobile 5.8 Beta 2 | Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.2 | Chrome - EN Desktop 5.2.0.2503 (270503) Prerelease | Dell Inspiron W8.0 | Chrome + Clipper & Clearly | MS Office 2013 (also Vista and W7)
Support and information: Mac | Windows | iOS | AndroidGetting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Status Page | The App CenterSupport Requests & Feedback 

(Support only work weekdays,  US Pacific Time)  |  If you need to change your account name,  email address or check usage,  do it here 

Use your spare processor capacity for science research - find out more about BOINC here.  

#17 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

@gbarry: Thanks for the list, but I have a question:

Does Evernote officially support this syntax for searching for a file extension:

filename:"*.ext*"

Note the following:
  • For this to really be reliable, it must be case insensitive.
  • I'm not sure what value is of adding case sensitivity to the filename syntax when everything else is case insensitive.
Many thanks for your prompt attention to this matter.

• It doesn't work on EN Mac (released or beta)
  • It doesn't work on EN iPhone
  • I submitted a bug report for EN Mac and was told it is not a bug

JMichael, tested the xlsx and filename file search on iPhone/Mac, reproduced the bug. The others are working fine. Pretty sure those two *should* be working cross-platform, I'm going to go ahead and resubmit.

"filename:" search keyword is part of the Evernote Search Syntax specification published here: http://www.evernote.... ... te-api.htm, so it should not go away. All clients will eventually fully conform to the specification.

/Peter

Geoff and Peter,

This issue seems to have died on the vine. :P

This is a thread from the old forum, and I had to search to find it.

Can either of you guys confirm that this is an official bug, and that the filename search syntax as described above will eventually supported on all platforms?

Thanks.

#18 Robert Garnsworthy

Robert Garnsworthy

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

Hi, is it possible to search for text within an attachment?

#19 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

Hi, is it possible to search for text within an attachment?

Only for PDF attachments.

Whatever you put in the Search expression box will automatically search for text in PDF files as well.

#20 Robert Garnsworthy

Robert Garnsworthy

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

thanks for prompt response! is it likely that at some point in the near future this will be available for other files such .doc or kindle ext .mobi?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote