(Archived) BUG: Spotlight search only works for note titles [RESOLVED]

aparmley

Idea

I discovered today that my spotlight searches will only return evernote notes as long as the search criteria are found in the title. If I search for note titles I get results. If I search for words found within the note, spotlight can not find them.

I'm certain spotlight is supposed to be able to find evernote notes when searching for words that are within the notes body. Am I understanding this correctly?

I'm running Lion. I've already deleted the Library>Caches>Metadata>com.evernote... file. rebooted. fired up Evernote; results were the same. I can find any note by search for a word in the title. But the minute I try to search for a word within a note, spotlight doesn't find any evernote note with that content.

What can I do to fix this...

Let me know if you need more details.

21 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I don't know why there are Spotlighting problems, but since I am running Mountain Lion and Evernote without any issues, I think it is not a universal problem. My recommendation would be to follow the advice I posted elsewhere on the forums.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/29546-spotlight-not-indexing-all-notes/#entry173811

Since I upgraded to Mountain Lion, Spotlight has ceased to index Evernote. I have rebuilt my spotlight index from scratch this morning and it seems to have completed, yet I have no Evernote results in Spotlight, even when I search using the exact title of a note. Help please, Evernote?

Same here.

Could this have to do with the new sandboxing of apps?

See this: https://discussions.apple.com/message/20250608#20250608

Since I upgraded to Mountain Lion, Spotlight has ceased to index Evernote. I have rebuilt my spotlight index from scratch this morning and it seems to have completed, yet I have no Evernote results in Spotlight, even when I search using the exact title of a note. Help please, Evernote?

Same here.

Could this have to do with the new sandboxing of apps?

Strange. I have no problems with it. I just got the computer and haven't touched any of the settings for it

In fact I remember seeing some Evernote hits initially. But something happened, and I can't get any hits. Would love to get some expert help on what to do (other than completely rebuilding the index, I have already done it once).

What did you have to do to resolve the problem?

I can't see any results from Evernote in Spotlight searches, neither title words nor inside the documents. I have reindexed the database again from scratch.

Would be good if there was a clear outline of what to do to get this working.

I do miss the lack of a public ticket or Bugzilla number that I can use to track the bug and determine what official or beta build it is fixed in.

Duly noted. Don't think there's anything we can change immediately, but I'll bring it up

I contacted support about this problem and they said a case has been filed with the QA lead but this is not something that can be fixed at this time. They did not ask for any log or system data.

I appreciate that this will require a developer to solve, but I do miss the lack of a public ticket or Bugzilla number that I can use to track the bug and determine what official or beta build it is fixed in.

Jim

I forced spotlight to reindex both the /Users/[username]/Library/Evernote directory and the /Users/[username]/Library/Caches/com.evernote.Evernote directory.

No change.

I still can not search and find content within any recent evernote notes.

Update: Operating under the assumption perhaps Spotlight is no longer indexing the newly hidden /User/Library folder I performed a search for content of Mail messages, spotlight is returning messages that I've received today. It appears that Spotlight is indexing the /User/Library folder.

I'm going to try to force Spotlight to reindex the Evernote directory under /User/Library/

How would I find out if not everything is indexed? Not everything being everything on my mac or not everything as in not everything in Evernote?

I will attempt to determine how I would go about answering that question. But, for the time being, assume the answer is yes, its possible.

Update: It appears that my spotlight does search some note's body and returns results. But others it does not.

Sometimes it finds words in photos of notes I've made. Other times it does not find plain text in a note. I haven't narrowed down yet if it's notes made before vs after a certain date or what exactly.

Archived