Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Web

REQUEST: Choosing a Thumbnail

thumbnail image Windows evernote mac request

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#1 marcelo

marcelo

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:51 AM

I do like the new layout with larger thumbnails, except for one thing: Evernote seems to choose as thumbnail the largest image within a note. But it is rather annoying, for it seldom coincides with the image which would enable me to recognize a note at once. Can I somehow force Evernote to use a specific image as thumbail?

Marcelo

#2 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 12,184 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:30 AM

No.
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#3 marcelo

marcelo

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:00 AM

No.

Thank you for your prompt reply. Does it mean the only way to force an image to appear as thumbnail is to make sure that it is the heaviest one within the note?

Thanks

Marcelo

#4 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,184 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:12 AM

Thank you for your prompt reply. Does it mean the only way to force an image to appear as thumbnail is to make sure that it is the heaviest one within the note?

You're welcome. I don't know how EN selects the thumbnail.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#5 emerick

emerick

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 523 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:21 PM

I don't know how EN selects the thumbnail.

We select the image with the largest smallest dimension. There are some other rules, but that's the main one.
- Emerick Rogul (Evernote)

#6 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: User # 142,683
  • 5,603 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:28 PM

We select the image with the largest smallest dimension. There are some other rules, but that's the main one.

The largest smallest dimension?

#7 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • 10,790 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

:)
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#8 emerick

emerick

• 523 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:42 PM

Yeah. For example, if you have 3 images with the following dimensions:

75x100
100x400
200x300

The "smallest" dimensions are 75, 100, and 200, respectively. We're going to use the image with the largest of those "smallest" dimensions (i.e., 200).

There are probably better ways to describe that algorithm, but that's how we've been describing it internally.

#9 jefito

jefito

• 10,790 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:43 PM

OK, got it. I think anything else would have too many words, and "largest smallest" probably works because it's short and easy to remember (and apparently self-contradictory). Cool.
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#10 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,184 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:24 PM

Jumbo shrimp.

#11 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: User # 142,683
  • 5,603 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:31 PM

75x100
100x400
200x300

The "smallest" dimensions are 75, 100, and 200, respectively. We're going to use the image with the largest of those "smallest" dimensions (i.e., 200).

There are probably better ways to describe that algorithm, but that's how we've been describing it internally.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess if someone really wanted to promote a specific image, they could use a photo editor to re-size the photos. That's too much work for me.

#12 cpchang

cpchang

• PipPipPip
  • Title: Bushwhacker
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:06 AM

You learn something every day. :)

#13 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Explorer
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:48 PM

75x100
100x400
200x300

One way to express this in a more definitive way is the image with the largest width, assuming that your example you gave is in the order of width x height.

However, it is not clear that this is actually what you mean.

For example, what if we add an image that is 250x150?

Then the list would be:

75x100
100x400
200x300
250x150

Does that mean that EN would now select the last image (250x150) for the thumbnail?

Well, I'm going out of the business of making suggestions, but as one of the last, does it make sense to anyone at Evernote to choose the first image in the Note for the thumbnail?

#14 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Evernote Geek
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:27 PM

An alternative is the image with the largest number of pixels. This is a good predictor of importance of the image to the note's content.

e.g.
75x100=7500
100x400=40000
200x300=60000
250x150=37500

Largest -> 200x300=60000
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)
Windows 7 SP1 & XP SP3 (EN 4.5.8.7356)
iPod Touch 2G (iOS 4.2.1, EN 4.1.9) / Blackberry Playbook (OS 2.0.1, EN 1.3)
Latest stable browsers & clippers(Chrome(default), Firefox, IE8/9)

#15 emerick

emerick

• 523 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:08 AM

One way to express this in a more definitive way is the image with the largest width, assuming that your example you gave is in the order of width x height.

My list is ordered by increasing size of smallest dimension. We don't want to pick the image with the largest width, since that would result in us selecting things like graphical horizontal lines (e.g., 600x1) for some notes, which isn't very useful.

For example, what if we add an image that is 250x150?

Then the list would be:

75x100
100x400
200x300
250x150

Does that mean that EN would now select the last image (250x150) for the thumbnail?

No, we choose the image with the largest smallest dimension. To keep my list sorted by increasing size of smallest dimension, your new entry should be third:

75x100
100x400
150x250
200x300

So we're going to pick the last one again (200x300), because it's still the image with the "largest smallest" dimension.

does it make sense to anyone at Evernote to choose the first image in the Note for the thumbnail?

It does make sense sometimes, but it doesn't make sense a significant number of times too. Some part of the algorithm needs to factor in the dimensions and/or sizes of the images or else you end up with non-useful thumbnails (see 600x1 example above).

#16 emerick

emerick

• 523 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:16 AM

An alternative is the image with the largest number of pixels. This is a good predictor of importance of the image to the note's content.

e.g.
75x100=7500
100x400=40000
200x300=60000
250x150=37500

Largest -> 200x300=60000

Yeah, that's probably another good algorithm (and note that in this specific case, that is the image we choose). I think we're reasonably happy with the algorithm we're using; they're all subject to false positives, unfortunately, but I think our algorithm ends up choosing a fairly representative image a lot of the time.

#17 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:34 AM

Well, it does have the advantage of being easier to explain. Which usually results in a more likely to be correct implementation.

The best, and most likely, implementation of either algorithm would pick the first "largest" in the event of a tie.

My guess is that in most cases (>90%) either algorithm would pick the same image for the thumbnail.

Hmmm.
Not sure which algorithm is more likely to pick the squarer image. Squarer usually results in a more recognizable thumbnail. Probably a toss up.

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)

#18 jefito

jefito

• 10,790 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:56 PM

Well, it does have the advantage of being easier to explain. Which usually results in a more likely to be correct implementation.

Hmmm, bubble sort is easy to explain, and it's not hard to get a correct implementation of a bubble sort, but so what? Implementation is not usually the problem, it's choice of algorithm, and bubble sort is of course notoriously poor for anything but the most trivial uses.

The best, and most likely, implementation of either algorithm would pick the first "largest" in the event of a tie.

My guess is that in most cases (>90%) either algorithm would pick the same image for the thumbnail.

Hmmm.
Not sure which algorithm is more likely to pick the squarer image. Squarer usually results in a more recognizable thumbnail. Probably a toss up.

I think you're right -- there are probably fail cases in any algorithm that will be used to pick a thumbnail candidate out of a collection of images. I think that making a good guess is fine, but the best case for users would probably be to allow them to designate which image to use if the guess is not the one that they want.
~Jeff

#19 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:48 PM

bubble sort

:lol:

Nah. This is a single pass scan. No sorting. Just compares.

And, bubble sort, can NOT be fully described in a single, non-compound, sentence.

----------
Ummm. Re-read your comment. Never mind my comment about single pass. You were using it as an general example, not a specific example. :?

Premium User

#20 jefito

jefito

• 10,790 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:44 PM

Right -- just trying to illustrate that things that are easy to describe may not be the best choice. :lol:
~Jeff

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: web, thumbnail, image, Windows, evernote, mac, request

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)
Clip to Evernote