(Archived) How are Word and Excel docs shown in a note?

If you pay for Evernote Premium to get the ability to place Microsoft Excel and Word documents in a note, does the note actually display the contents of the Excel spreadsheet or Word Doc? Or does it just have a shortcut to the document file on hard disk (.xlsx or .docx) so that if you click on the shortcut, the native Excel or Word programs open and display the document?

• Level 5*

When you drag a file into Evernote it is then stored in Evernote - it is displayed as an icon with the file name.

If you are on a Mac you can Quick Look this file or you can open it with another application. When you save the doc, the Evernote copy is updated.

..but you can always use the title, tags or an included snippet from the actual file to uniquely identify the content for future searches.

That's what I do. IMO & IME, I don't need to be able to search on every word in every note. In fact, sometimes, that produces so many notes that you need to refine the search. I find using accurate titles & "keywords" very helpful.

Archived