Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

Is Evernote a safe place to store my passwords?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 jvv1001001

jvv1001001

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:46 PM

I'm a relative novice to Evernote and have just gone premium on it. The applicability is staggering. But so far, I have not used it as a means of storing login and password data for other apps and other things I use. Is the encryption robust enough for me to store a list of my logins and passwords for, say Google, Active.com, etc.? Does anyone else use Evernote to store this stuff?

#2 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 12,158 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:31 PM

Per Dave, CTO of Evernote. I prefer to use a true password manager. I would also suggest you search the board on the word security & familiarize yourself with the topic as it relates to Evernote.
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#3 Metrodon

Metrodon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Bankrobber
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:37 PM

Me too, I'm an OS X user and 1Password is probably safer and certainly more useful as I can populate user name and password fields with a key combo. I'm sure there is something similar for Windows - lastpass maybe???

#4 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: User # 142,683
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:45 PM

During one of the Evernote podcasts, the Marketing Director of Evernote said he stores his Federal Tax returns in Evernote. He did not mention encryption.

Heather from Evernote said: "she stores "my "sensitive" information (Passport scans, titles, tax info) in Evernote unencrypted as well. It's a matter of personal preference/comfort level."

Personally, I use LastPass for my passwords. They are all very long (more than 12 characters) and use upper case, lower case, digits, & symbols.
Why? Take a look at this page to analyze your password.
https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm

#5 lmason

lmason

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:19 PM

I'm a new user and like KeePass for passwords on Windows. I'd like to store some passwords in Evernote but since you can't password protect (encrypt) a notebook - it isn't safe (imo). I would like to put past taxes and other sensitive info (copies of birth certificates, passports, etc) but am concerned since I can't protect a notebook. From the evernote website:

"It's also worth mentioning that Evernote doesn't support the encryption of any of the following:

* Images/PDFs
* File Attachments (like Office documents)
* Audio Clips
* Whole Notes/Notebooks"

Please Evernote, add the ability to password protect a whole notebook or at least individual PDFs.

Thanks.

#6 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,158 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:33 PM

Please Evernote, add the ability to password protect a whole notebook or at least individual PDFs.

PDFs are already able to be password protected (and more importantly, encrypted) using a PDF viewer such as Paperport or PDF Xchange (free).

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#7 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:51 PM

For stuff like birth certificates, Social Security cards, etc, which are sensitive, but not needed on an instant basis, I put them into my local non-synchronized notebook. They are only available to my local client. They never reach the cloud or Evernote's servers.

#8 qot

qot

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:02 AM

I would recommend storing your passwords and credit card details in something secure like KeePass, rather than Evernote. It's free and runs on everything including Android/iPhone. You could then keep your KeePass database in Evernote.

#9 katahdin

katahdin

• PipPipPipPip
  • Title: Shepherd
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:22 AM

You could then keep your KeePass database in Evernote.

wouldn;t that negate the security? If in a synced notebook.
EN 4.5.1 / Android 2.2.2 / Firefox 8.0 / Vista & XP

#10 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,158 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:32 AM

Password managers store the data encrypted.

#11 katahdin

katahdin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:51 AM

Password managers store the data encrypted.

Thanks. I've been using lastpass and a while ago decided to copy - selct all , copy, paste - the file - into EN, then I select all, and encrypted in EN.

Should I be concerned? Originally, I had it in an offline NB, but now it's synced.

#12 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,158 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:29 AM

Thanks. I've been using lastpass and a while ago decided to copy - selct all , copy, paste - the file - into EN, then I select all, and encrypted in EN.

Should I be concerned? Originally, I had it in an offline NB, but now it's synced.

If you're copying & pasting all the records, no, it's not encrypted. Qot said he/she was dropping the password manager database into Evernote. I'm not familiar with Keepass, but based upon my experience with other password managers, the only reason it would make sense to do that is to have a backup of your password database in the cloud (in the event of a total loss of your computer & hard drives) b/c you wouldn't be actually using the database that's stored in Evernote.

#13 katahdin

katahdin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:46 AM

If you're copying & pasting all the records, no, it's not encrypted.

Thanks for ur response, as I said I'm encrypting the note in Evernote. Do you not think that doing it in EN encryption is enough?

#14 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:55 AM

Here are the instructions on how to export an encrypted LastPass database file:
http://helpdesk.last...ools/exporting/

#15 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,158 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:01 AM

Thanks for ur response, as I said I'm encrypting the note in Evernote. Do you not think that doing it in EN encryption is enough?

If you're encrypting the EN note, then that should be good, unless you want to get technical about how strong the EN encryption is. (I don't know/remember b/c I never use the EN encryption anyway.) As Dave said in the link I posted above, he doesn't store really important passwords in Evernote. Again, a matter of your personal comfort level.

#16 qot

qot

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:28 AM

You could then keep your KeePass database in Evernote.

You store the KeePass database in Evernote so you can access it wherever you are, even from your smartphone. It's brilliant! And no, it will still be secure as it has its own internal encryption. KeePass is essentially unbreakable, it's very very good.

#17 qot

qot

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:31 AM

the only reason it would make sense to do that is to have a backup of your password database in the cloud (in the event of a total loss of your computer & hard drives) b/c you wouldn't be actually using the database that's stored in Evernote.

Not so, I actually keep my KeePass database in an Evernote note and open it from there. That way wherever I am I always have it with me. :D

#18 lmason

lmason

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:30 AM

I love keepass and the idea of keeping the kdb file in evernote so it is always current on my laptop and desktop.

1. Is there anything to worry about or know about in making this work? Or is it as simple as stopping keepass from loading on windows start and opening it from within evernote?

2. Will the kdb file sync correctly if it is open on two computers at the same time? ie. do I have to save and/or close the database for it to be synched?

3. Are you using keepass 1.x or 2.x version?

4. Also, can you run keepass from within evernote on an iPhone?

Thanks for any tips on this.

#19 qot

qot

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:02 AM

I love keepass and the idea of keeping the kdb file in evernote so it is always current on my laptop and desktop.

1. Is there anything to worry about or know about in making this work? Or is it as simple as stopping keepass from loading on windows start and opening it from within evernote?

2. Will the kdb file sync correctly if it is open on two computers at the same time? ie. do I have to save and/or close the database for it to be synched?

3. Are you using keepass 1.x or 2.x version?

4. Also, can you run keepass from within evernote on an iPhone?

Thanks for any tips on this.

You don't run Keepass on Windows start anyway so that's ok. The database won't sync correctly if you open it on two computers at the same time but that's exactly what you'd expect.

I'm using Keepass 1.x so I can run it on my Android phone.

Not sure how it would load on your iPhone, it does load fine from within Evernote on Android. Only one way to find out right!

#20 jimlg

jimlg

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:01 PM

Hi,
I'd like to make a "Feature request" about Evernote having a sucure version of KeepPass or some similar sort of developed add-on.
In which to store more sensitive login information etc. Is this the right Fourm/place to make feature requests like this?

Thanks,

Jim.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote