(Archived) Downgrade to an earlier version

dummbenben

I am having some problem with the current version 4.3 and would like to downgrade to an earlier version if possible, preferably version 4.2.

Where can I find an earlier version of Evernote?

Is there anything I should pay attention to if I do this?

Can I still keep the local copy of the database and use it in the old version?

I would be very thankful if someone who did this before could share their experience.

Thanks!

My question exactly. Since I've upgraded Evernote (Windows 7), I've suffered slowdown, freezing, odd keystroke and mouse-click behavior, until today I had to remove it from my machine. :shock: Is there a downgrade possible? I really *need* my Evernote!

Regards,

Cap

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just reverted back to Evernote version 4.6.7.8409 and WHAT A RELIEF! Seriously night and day with how much better the old version is than v5. I got the old version from: http://www.oldapps.com/evernote.php?old_evernote=12683.

Hey, Nick. Looks like I need to revert, myself. Did you have to do anything in particular to preserve your notes? I have everything backed up to my machine, but if there are extra steps that can make it a simple process, I'd love to hear it. v.5 is just killing me.

Just reverted back to Evernote version 4.6.7.8409 and WHAT A RELIEF! Seriously night and day with how much better the old version is than v5. I got the old version from: http://www.oldapps.com/evernote.php?old_evernote=12683.

Hey, Nick. Looks like I need to revert, myself. Did you have to do anything in particular to preserve your notes? I have everything backed up to my machine, but if there are extra steps that can make it a simple process, I'd love to hear it. v.5 is just killing me.

I just uninstalled v5 then installed v4, ran the sync and it seems like it worked fine. I've got a couple thousand notes and sometimes it seems like a few have disappeared, but I'm not sure if I just thought I created a note in the past that I can't find now, or if some notes actually got lost... I did export all my notes in case something went wrong. For me, downgrading from the horror that is V5 was worth the risk and I do not regret doing it.

I just uninstalled v5 then installed v4, ran the sync and it seems like it worked fine. I've got a couple thousand notes and sometimes it seems like a few have disappeared, but I'm not sure if I just thought I created a note in the past that I can't find now, or if some notes actually got lost... I did export all my notes in case something went wrong. For me, downgrading from the horror that is V5 was worth the risk and I do not regret doing it.

Sweet. I'm in. Thanks for going first. Sounds fairly simple.

Could be that it needs to reindex your notes? I have seen this as a problem for some users.

By golly, I haven't heard that suggestion. I'll give it a shot. Just as a kind of Hail Mary, I unchecked the "start Evernote at Windows login" option and haven't had a problem since. I thought of that because the last time it froze, it was right after I'd enabled the option. Who knows, eh? Thanks for the suggestion.

As much as I never would want to be thought of as a Luddite, it is difficult to regret removing version 5.0.2 and reinstalling version 4.6.7.8409.

After installation and a new download of my database however, the speed and ease of using this version is an immense improvement over version 5.  

In a Windows XP vm on my desktop, I have version 5.0.2 running still, and ... help me but I'm just not seeing a compelling reason to stick with 5.x when 4.x seems so much more effective and useful.

Archived