Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
iOS

Evernote Clipper for Ipad

evernote

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 nottssafety

nottssafety

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:14 AM

Hi
I'm new to ipad and evernote. It seemed so promising but I just can't work out how to install the webclipper. Where it says drag this to your link bar, I've tried to drag to link bar but it wont. I've added to the bookmark but that makes no difference. I need to be able to weblink on the ipad otherwise this is a little pointless :) .
Can anyone please advise me in simple IT for idiots language :? .
regards
Peter

#2 Phil Dean

Phil Dean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: British Food Lover
  • 464 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:02 PM

Please reference this forum post for suggestions viewtopic.php?f=45&t=21968
Check out our Knowledgebase.
View our User Manuals here: Mac or
Windows
Check out the Getting Started Guide
Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#3 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Explorer
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:46 PM

Phil,

It looks like your link to the other post is broke.

IAC, I have found it very difficult to find first-hand, reliable info on installing/using a Evernote Web clipper on the iPad.
  • I don't see anything on the main EN web site.
  • I searched these forums but turned up only this thread.
I have a lot of friends that got iPads for Christmas. We need to know:
  • Does EN have a iPad Web Clipper?
    If SO: where is the installation page?
  • If NOT:
  • Do you plan to ever provide one?
  • Are there any 3rd party clippers you recommend?
  • What about Memclip?
Finally, there used to be a web page on your main web site that showed all of the web clippers that were available.
I can't find that page any more.
Can you please provide a link to that page?

Thanks.

#4 Metrodon

Metrodon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Bankrobber
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:53 PM

There is no official clipper for the iPad. There are a couple of fudges that seem to do the job for some people.

Evernote does not publish a roadmap or release dates.

If you need an officially supported clipper for the iPad right now, then Evernote is not the right app for you.

#5 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:25 AM

@metrodon: Thanks for your opinion.

I would like to hear from Phil.

#6 megsaint

megsaint

• Title: Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 818 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:57 AM

The iCab Mobile browser has a built in module that clips fairly well to Evernote.
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#7 Furisas

Furisas

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

May I also suggest that you may want to try Memclip. It's an app for iPad that clips to Evernote. Not free.

#8 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • 10,219 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:00 PM

Or, you could:

1. copy the whole page
2. click the email page link
3. paste in the content
4. send to your Evernote account

That's what I do. No big deal. It only takes a second or two more than the web clipper on my Mac.

#9 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Well, clearly there is a need for web clippers, or else EN would not have gone to such lengths to create one for every browser.
Every time the web clipper breaks due to a browser upgrade there is a large outcry from the user community.

#10 Metrodon

Metrodon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

No one said that there wasn't a need - currently though, there is no Evernote clipper for Safari on the iPad.

#11 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,219 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

Well, clearly there is a need for web clippers, or else EN would not have gone to such lengths to create one for every browser.
Every time the web clipper breaks due to a browser upgrade there is a large outcry from the user community.

I don't know if there is a need, although there may be demand for it. Anyhow, like I said, you can basically replicate the function already with copy + email. I am not an iOS programmer, but I think the iPad seems like a real pain to design for interactions between apps, so I am not surprised that we do not have the web clipper.

#12 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

I don't know if there is a need, although there may be demand for it.

Well, I'll let you and metrodon debate whether or not there is a "need" for web clippers.

All I can say is that easy, quick web clipping has been one of the premier Evernote features from the beginning.
For those that would like to use the iPad as a primary computing device, it is essential if they want to use Evernote.
Going through the steps you outlined on a iPad are much slower on the iPad than on a Mac or PC.

I am not an iOS programmer, but I think the iPad seems like a real pain to design for interactions between apps, so I am not surprised that we do not have the web clipper.

It may be more difficult to program for the iPad, I don't know.
There are well over 100,000 apps for the iPad, with new one arriving every day.
There are quite a number of iPad apps that interact with other apps.
A great number of apps interact with DropBox.
Quite a few interact with Evernote.
Two apps relavent to our discussion are iCab and MemClip.

#13 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • 12,184 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

• If NOT:
  • Do you plan to ever provide one?

You know very well that:

Evernote does not publish a roadmap or release dates.

I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#14 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,219 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:59 PM

Web clipping only came along in 2008 (I think) and I don't know how you distinguish "premier" features from other ones. All I can say is that I use the iPad as a primary computing device, I haven't found the steps I outlined to be significantly slower (a second or two extra to copy stuff), and it is definitely not essential to use Evernote. I am not saying your opinion is invalid, just that it isn't universally applicable, and that I haven't found a need or even much of a desire for it. Your mileage may vary.

I can't speak for the technical challenges involved with iOS apps, but there are so many things that do not play well with other apps, especially Safari, that I am not surprised by its absence. Safari is Apple. Good luck getting them to put your stuff into their browser. iCab and others are not Apple. So, it may be easier. That's my guess.

Anyhow, until we hear from Evernote about this, the best I can offer is the process I suggested.

#15 Metrodon

Metrodon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:12 PM

I'm not interested in whether there is a need -

JMichael asked if there is an Evernote clipper for Safari on the iPad, I confirmed that there isn't.

The Grumpster and a couple of others have suggested alternative solutions.

#16 May

May

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

The problem with mobile safari is that it doesn't allow extensions so it's impossible for evernote team to add a fully functional web clipper. I agree that webclipper is essential functionality but It's just out of evernote control on an iPad mobile safari browser. The only way to solve this problem is for Apple to allow extensions for its browser.

If you want to use mobile safari then there are 2 options
Bookmarklet. It's not possible to clip a portion of a page with it AFAIK. You can clip a whole page or just a link. You can copy paste stuff into comments field and assign tags and notebooks though

javascript:(function(){EN_CLIP_HOST='http://www.evernote.com';try{var x=document.createElement('SCRIPT');x.type='text/javascript';x.src=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/public/bookmarkClipper.js?'+(new Date().getTime()/100000);document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(x);}catch(e){location.href=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/clip.action?url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title);}})();

Email

There are alternatives though, you could use a different browser which supports extension or a special app.

I personally use mobile safari browser and also use a bookmarklet to switch to and load current page in iCabMobile browser and then clip stuff into evernote from there.

I would switch to iCabMobile browser completely but the scrolling on complex pages with lots of images is not perfectly smooth as in mobile safari so that's just my personal preference. It's better than mobile safari in everything else otherwise.

#17 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

All I can say is that I use the iPad as a primary computing device, I haven't found the steps I outlined to be significantly slower (a second or two extra to copy stuff), and it is definitely not essential to use Evernote.

Well, I'm glad to hear that it works for you.

I will admit that I am not the world's fastest iPad user, even though I have owned one since the first iPad was released.

I thought I would test out your proposed work-around for web clipping and conducted several tests, clipping the same section out of the same web page on both my Mac using FF9 web clipper, and the iPad using the copy/paste/email method.

My Results:
  • The iPad manual method does work, and will get the web page subsection into Evernote
  • Using my iPhone stop-watch:
    • iPad time: 58.3, 32.7, 45.1 sec (3 separate tests, in order shown)
    • Mac time: 11.4 sec
  • Capture Quality
    • the iPad ver was quite good, better than I expected
    • Even a capture of a section from this forum turned out well on the iPad ver
  • Differences in Note of Clipped Web Page
    • iPad ver did NOT capture the URL into the EN URL field
    • iPad capture quality may be better in some cases (subjective eval)
My Conclusions
  • The copy/paste/email approach definitely works
  • It may be completely acceptable work-around, depending on the user and amount of usage
  • For me, since the iPad is NOT my primary computing device, it will work fine since I don't clip that much using the iPad
  • If I were using the iPad as my primary device, the difference in time (20+ sec) for making a web clip would definitely hinder my use of EN on the iPad
Since the iPad is NOT my primary device, it does not personally matter to me whether or not EN ever develops a web clipper for the iPad.
My only interest is in making sure that those who use an iPad, or are considering an iPad, be aware of its limitations.
Each person can make up their own mind whether or not these limitations are acceptable.
  • May likes this

#18 May

May

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

Yeah, it's a fact that clipping on iPad is a lot slower.

Took me 17 secs to clip this whole page on ipad with a bookmarklet in mobile safari.
However if I clip only a particular portion of a page then it takes up to 50 secs. This really sucks.

It takes around 20 secs to clip a particular portion of a page if I am using iCabMobile browser. But the iCab browser is not as smooth as safari.

#19 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,219 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

I got 7.9 on OSX and 14.8 on the iPad for this page. Frustratingly, the OSX clipper just did the first post and nothing else. I guess I am out of practice. I think it is generally the case that the iPad has all kinds of limitations (from lack of notebook stacks to the web clipper issue), and I agree that it is good for people to know these.

We've asked for a list of features available across platforms so that we can know what is and is not there, and Evernote employees seemed amenable to the suggestion, but I am not sure when/if we will see this kind of information posted. Forums like this can be helpful so that users can figure out what works for them.

#20 May

May

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

@GrumpyMonkey I wonder how you clipped this page so fast on iPad, did you simply send a link via "mail link to this page" to evernote?
Sending a link actually takes just around 7 secs for me but the result is far less useful than clipping a whole page via bookmarklet or extension

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ios, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote