(Archived) A list of characters that sort before A and after Z

braintoniq

Idea

HI all,

Two questions.

1. I've always wondered if there was a list of ASCII characters that sorted before A (such as ^ and $) and after Z (such as Ω). I've always known a few of them, but I'm wondering if anyone's ever found the definitive list out there, in their sorting order. I searched the forum (and the greater web) for this, but only found a few characters. I'm wondering if there's an actual logic or list out there that shows most of them.

2. Related to this: Is there a way in the Mac Utility "Character Viewer" (found in menu via "System Preferences...->International->Input Menu->Show input menu in menu bar") to see how each character is made in the keyboard? I could've sworn there used to be a way to see which keys made each character, but it's been so long since I used the Character Viewer that I can't remember or find it.

2 replies to this idea

1. I've always wondered if there was a list of ASCII characters that sorted before A (such as ^ and $) and after Z (such as Ω). I've always known a few of them, but I'm wondering if anyone's ever found the definitive list out there, in their sorting order. I searched the forum (and the greater web) for this, but only found a few characters. I'm wondering if there's an actual logic or list out there that shows most of them.

There are many. It's not magical or mysterious & (AFAIK) very standard. Hence the name. (ASCII stands for American Standard Code for Information Interchange). Googling "ascii table" yields many results including this one.

BTW, "A" and "a" have different ascii values. So "^" is AFTER "A" and BEFORE "a". This may explain your confusion.

Many thanks, BurgersNFries. "ASCII table" was what I was missing.

Here's a list in digital format for easier copying.

I also found out that MS Word, while it has a good "Sort" function, doesn't use the ASCII sort process, or at least the same one that Evernote uses.

If it helps others, here's a list of useful ascii characters-

Here are few useful ones that sort before A:

^

!

[

]

© (Option-G on a Mac)

@

%

+ (Option-Shift-8 on a Mac)

Here are a few that sort after Z:

Ω (Option-Z on a Mac)

∆ (Option-J on a Mac)

∑ (Option-W on a Mac)

And I figured out how to find the keystrokes that make these. It's through the use of a built-in utility called Keyboard Viewer (also found under the Input Menu).

Archived