HELP: Questions about tables

evermullah

Idea

hi,

the tables used in EN seem to me like a good idea,

but unfortunately, i cannot find any useful function to work with them.

so my questions are:

1)

how is it possible to mark a whole table at once?

2)

how can i sort table-rows/lines?

3)

how can i add some additional rows/columns after a table is already created?

4)

how to delete rows/columns?

etc...

16 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Thanks for the tip. But I use Mac and have rid of MS word for Mac years ago. I won't imagine myself going back to MS just for any reason ... Once again, users like me are caught in between turf claims by these companies. I appreciate your information though.

It's up to you, of course.  But I find that MS Word and Excel to be the best of the breed.

I tried Apple Numbers and Pages, but I didn't find them as useful as Excel and Word.

MS prices for Office Mac and Office 365 are coming down.  I have decided that I will use the best app for my needs, regardless of my opinion/feelings for the company that develops the softare.  IOW, I simply choose whats best for me at the time.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the tip. But I use Mac and have rid of MS word for Mac years ago. I won't imagine myself going back to MS just for any reason ... Once again, users like me are caught in between turf claims by these companies. I appreciate your information though.

Not sure what you mean by 'turf claims' here. Microsoft makes software for the Mac. It's fine to not want to use a piece of software -- it's your choice -- but where's the turf claim?

Are there other alternatives by other companies for Mac software (word processing or spreadsheet) that you could explore as alternatives?

• Level 5*

Any solutions in 2014 to this ancient problem with editing tables in Evernote ? Thanks! 

Starting with EN Mac 5.6, Evernote has made some improvements in table setup/formatting, but, IMO, it is still a work-in-progress.

EN Mac is now up to 5.7.2, but I am still seeing lots of issues reported with Ver 5.6, 5.7.x, so I am still waiting for a stable version with no material bugs.

The best approach I have found is to create the table in MS Word, and then copy/paste the table (not the file) into Evernote.  Evernote seems to respect the Word formatting very well, including my favorite of "size to fit text".

There have been many threads posted about Evernote tables.  To view them:

• Click on the forum tag/button "tables" at the top of this page.
  • Do a google on "evernote tables"
  • Level 5*
Has EN considered using UserVoice as a means of soliciting customer feature requests?

Yes, they have. Easy enough to find out what they think by searching the forum for 'UserVoice'. There's at least one thread where the Dave Engberg (Evernote CTO) participates.

Same as this thread:

+1 for chart upgrade. It wouldn't have to be as robust as Excel. But simply formatting column width and adding the ability to do basic math would be fantastic.

That's a basic spreadsheet program. There are several great ones that are free, but I don't think Evernote is going to wander in that direction much

Regarding UserVoice, I think we already do a fairly good job with our forums.

PLEASE make tables editable in the MAC version (which is a gorgeous product by the way) - extremely helpful!!

I have a page guide layout that I'd like to be able to move things around in and, especially, change the table cell sizing in... help!

Table cell COLOURING would be highly appreciate as well. :)

-e

• Level 5*

Perhaps dmcritchie overlooked that this thread is in the Mac forum.

All of the table editing features he/she mentioned are available in EN Win, and have been for over a year.

It is not clear why these same features have not been added to EN Mac.

• Level 5*

#1 mark a whole table. Question not understood. You can select the entire table, but what do you mean by mark a whole table.

#2 sorting a table not possible with just Evernote. See Sorting Data Within a Note - Evernote User Forum

#3 and #4 to insert/delete rows/columns can be done from the context menu (right-click within a cell), which is the most explicit way.

• Insert Row Above
  • Insert Row Below
  • Insert Column to the Left
  • Insert Column to the Right
  • --------
  • Delete Row
  • Delete Column

can also be done as follows: ...

#3 add additional rows. Place cursor at end of last cell within a row, and press Enter to insert a new row.

#4 delete a row. Select from after text in last cell of good row through the text of the last cell of the row(s) to be deleted and use the "Del" key.

Most of this is incorrect for a Mac - please don't post things you are not sure about.

#1 mark a whole table. Question not understood. You can select the entire table, but what do you mean by mark a whole table.

#2 sorting a table not possible with just Evernote. See Sorting Data Within a Note - Evernote User Forum

#3 and #4 to insert/delete rows/columns can be done from the context menu (right-click within a cell), which is the most explicit way.

• Insert Row Above
  • Insert Row Below
  • Insert Column to the Left
  • Insert Column to the Right
  • --------
  • Delete Row
  • Delete Column

can also be done as follows: ...

#3 add additional rows. Place cursor at end of last cell within a row, and press Enter to insert a new row.

#4 delete a row. Select from after text in last cell of good row through the text of the last cell of the row(s) to be deleted and use the "Del" key.

Archived