Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

Neat Scanner

evernote

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 darinr80

darinr80

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:57 PM

I have a mobile Neat Receipts scanner and because it won't work with Quicken QDF files, which is why I bought it, I was thinking I'd use it for Evernote, but I wasn't sure what the best format would be. I was thinking PDF so the scans would be search-able. Thoughts?

#2 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 12,144 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:15 PM

I have a mobile Neat Receipts scanner and because it won't work with Quicken QDF files, which is why I bought it, I was thinking I'd use it for Evernote, but I wasn't sure what the best format would be. I was thinking PDF so the scans would be search-able. Thoughts?

I don't know what you mean about the Neat Receipts scanner not working with Quicken QDF files. Quicken QDF files are the Quicken database files. And yes, you can use the Neatreceipts scanner to scan receipts to attach to Quicken entries. I've done it many times. Did one just now, in fact. FWIW, I've also used three different versions of Quicken with the NR scanner. The most recent is Quicken 2011 Deluxe.

Also, NeatReceipts/NeatWorks is really just software. There is nothing magic about their scanners. They have rebadged scanners that they include with the software probably b/c that way they know the scanner you're using works well with their software. You can export from the NeatWhatever program to a QIF file that you can then import into Quicken. That was more of a PITA for me, so can't speak to how well that works.

Please understand that when scanning, there are two parts. Software & hardware. The scanners NeatWhatever packages up with their programs either have firmware or software that maximizes their use for the NeatWhatever software. IE, when using the candy bar NeatReceipts scanner I have (rebadged Plustek Opticslim) with the Neat software, I can scan very lenthy grocery receipts, no problem. Using the same scanner with Quicken, the scan will cut off at 11 inches. Point is, scanners do have their limitations. But normally, the limitations are with the software. So yes, your scanner will be able to scan to PDF...if you have the right software. Pretty much any scanning software should work for you. I have Paperport that came bundled with my Xerox 510 Documate scanner. It will recognize all three of my scanners & save the scans to jpg or PDF.

Finally, both jpgs are searchable for everyone. Single page scans are fine as jpgs. I prefer to scan multipage documents to PDFs. PDFs are searchable (in EN) only for premium accounts.
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#3 darinr80

darinr80

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:52 AM

Wow thank you. I will scan more than one page as a PDF as that makes more sense, then single pages as jpegs.

As for Quicken, that makes sense about the QDF files. My question would be, how do I scan a receipt and actually get it into my Quicken 2009 database file?

Oh and I have a premium version of Evernote for my Droid Classic. I like the search capability of PDFs from notebooks or all notes...not to mention all my notes available offline.

#4 darinr80

darinr80

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:56 AM

Nevermind. I messed w/my mobile Neat Receipts scanner and was able to setup receipt importing into Quicken and it worked flawlessly. As well, I scanned in business cards and imported them straight into Gmail. OCR is great!

#5 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,144 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

Then you've probably noticed that's how you'd scan directly into Quicken. You select an entry, right click & use the attachments option. You can then add attachments either from a file, scanner or clipboard.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#6 darinr80

darinr80

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:09 PM

Well not really... For Quicken, basically, you scan a batch of receipts into Neatworks which has your Quicken account list imported. Then from Neatworks you export those receipts to a file, then go into Quicken and import them, and it places them into their categories depending on which account you used.

#7 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,144 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:12 PM

Well not really... For Quicken, basically, you scan a batch of receipts into Neatworks which has your Quicken account list imported. Then from Neatworks you export those receipts to a file, then go into Quicken and import them, and it places them into their categories depending on which account you used.

That's if you're using Neat. If not, you use the method I mentioned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote