(Archived) Enterprise

We have a lot of users who access us from their jobs at large organizations, but Evernote is fundamentally a cloud service for individuals. Sponsored accounts allow one person to pay for the Premium accounts of many other people, but we do not plan to pursue an "Enterprise software" business model.

We have actually talked to people from a number of large (Fortune 500) companies about Evernote, and they usually have a much longer laundry list of requirements and certifications. Typically, their IT folks would first send us a 20 page questionnaire full of technical requirements and industry-specific certifications and whatnot (e.g. HIPAA for medical organizations). I haven't seen "dual factor authentication" on any of those yet, but I have a hunch that it would come up for some companies in the fourth stage of review and vetting, 16 months into the sales cycle.

Basically, a bunch of the people who built Evernote have a lot of experience in the "Enterprise software sales" business, and it's completely 180-degree different than Evernote's "freemium" personal memory service. It's hard to do both business models under the same roof, in my experience.

Basically, a bunch of the people who built Evernote have a lot of experience in the "Enterprise software sales" business, and it's completely 180-degree different than Evernote's "freemium" personal memory service. It's hard to do both business models under the same roof, in my experience.

I definitely hear what you're saying, Dave. It's Apples and oranges. Two Factor authentication is a tall order for a platform like Evernote (I'd be happy with a simple PIN code on my iPhone . . . still waiting on that one :o )

Still, I think if the small business market shouldn't be ignored. If some of the sharing issues can be ironed out, Evernote can really become a serious business tool, even without higher end security.

Archived