REQUEST: Pure vertical list view

For a long time now (well over a year), many users in these forums have requested, even begged, Evernote to provide a pure list view in the vertical left panel where the Mixed and Thumbnail view are shown. This has been requested for the Windows, Mac, and iOS (particularly the iPad) clients.

But we still don't have a Vertical List view.

We do have image views all over the place.

And now, we have this new "Snippet" view.

Has this been requested by your user community?

I'm not really against the "Snippet" view. It is useful sometimes.

But I, and many others, really, really need a pure list view, one line per Note, to do our work, day in and day out.

Yes, I know, it is boring. It is not flashy, it is not sexy, it is not eye candy, and it certainly is not new.

It is very, very old.

But it works for a lot of us very, very well.

Somebody high up in Evernote also thinks images/thumbnails are extremely important.

This results in thumbnails of pure text that don't make any sense at all.

It results in thumbnails of images so small in many, many places that one can't recognize the image.

It results in a iPad UI that is very, very hard to use if you have more than a few notes or tags.

You have now re-written EN Win, EN Mac, EN iPhone, EN Web, and EN Chrome.

But you can't seem to find a small amount of time to design a simple vertical list view for any of these.

What exactly must we do to get a simple vertical, list view with NO images, NO icons, just one simple, clean easy to read and scan quickly, line for each Note?

Wow dude, that is one obnoxious post. Maybe the best way to try and achieve what you are looking for is to stop pretending that the $45 you pay a year entitles you to talk down to the EN team.

I think feature requests that are politely phrased, telling them about bugs and even a complaint about how things look are fine - but your tone is really crappy.

In their shoes, I'd give you back the 45 bucks and tell you to switch to Onenote.

• Level 5*

@nevernoter: if you have a comment on the substance of the request, then that's welcome in the forum, but it's probably better to leave off the personal remarks.

@JMU: I think that only thing that would be an issue is that there is already an existing "List View" in existence in the desktop clients, plus the old web interface, and has been for a fair amount of time, so a different name would probably be wise (maybe "Vertical List" was implied?). The current List View is he one that I use 99% of the time, and I like the wider format, so I'd prefer to keep that one too, though I have no problem with adding one to the 3 column layout as you propose. I expect that the columns would be configurable as with the current layout.

Thanks for your comments Jeff.

I also do not want to replace the current List view, just add a Vertical List view.

I have changed the thread title as you suggested.

If my comments seemed abrasive, or that I was "talking down to Evernote", then let me set the record straight:

• [*:ughmtzye]I think Evernote is a great product and I use it many times each day. I have stated this many times in these forums.
    [*:ughmtzye]I am not talking down to the Evernote team, I am appealing to them, perhaps challenging them, to provide a much needed feature.
    [*:ughmtzye]I am also seeking understanding of why a new view like the "Snippet" view was added while the much requested Vertical List view was not
    [*:ughmtzye]If you sense anything in the tone of my comments, it is frustration.

We don't have anything in principle against such a view, but we already have three other views that allow people to see their notes in various different ways. It's already feeling a little bit cluttered -- when I think about the most clean and easy software I've used in the past, I don't usually think of 4+ different layouts for the same set of information.

So the general fear of "over-engineering" a cluttered product has kept us working on other features instead.

• 4 months later...

I would like very much to second the need for a vertical list view. Identical to snippets, but much more productive to suppress the distracting snippets and just see all notes on one screen without having to scroll the list.

Understand the point made about over-engineering, but realize from this user's perspective, this view is *the* most important view and its just really annoying to have to have to switch to sub-optimal views which may appear more "fancy" but not that useful.

I know list view is there but it splits the screen horizontally - which is very frustrating. Most monitors are horizontal!! Last thing we want is to have the already-small horizontal area split.

The main reason I use snippet view is to see a good preview of a relatively few notes.

The main reason I use list view is to quickly browse key, sortable, information about a lot of notes.

I can't reconcile the two UI modes of operation in my mind. There is not enough horizontal space in the snippet panel to view all the attributes I want to work with.

My current workaround is to either toggle view modes or pop-out a note that is not easy to preview in the list mode note view panel.

We don't have anything in principle against such a view, but we already have three other views that allow people to see their notes in various different ways. It's already feeling a little bit cluttered -- when I think about the most clean and easy software I've used in the past, I don't usually think of 4+ different layouts for the same set of information.

So the general fear of "over-engineering" a cluttered product has kept us working on other features instead.

Please allow me to present a different view of this. You are conceptualizing this as "another layout" when it is not really so. All we are asking for is to be allowed to choose where we want our reading pane :-)! Let me use Outlook as an example. For every Outlook view I can choose whether I want my reading pane on side or the bottom.

Unfortunately with EN, we're only able to have the reading pane on the side if we use what is for me, views I have no use for (snippet or thumbnail). So I'm therefore forced to use the list view and put the reading pane on the bottom where I hate it, and keep glancing up and down, up and down. Then I switch to the snippet view, breathe a sigh of relief that I have my reading pane on the right, but than can't easily skim my note titles on the left.

Bottom line, PLEASE give us an option for where we can have our reading pane. Just give us a command on the view menu that allows the user to put the reading pane on the right or the bottom. That way you still have your 3 views (snippet, thumbnail or list) and users can choose where they want their reading pane.

Thanks!

I agree. Please add a simple Title view only. I don't want to see those fragments.

Or better, just add notes on the tree view of the notebooks (first panel). That would be just perfect! Notebooks and below the notes inside them. There is no need to add a new panel just to show the notes. The Hierarchy panel is enough.

• 1 month later...

I must also agree that a simple Title-view is all I want and need. This is my first day with Evernote, and this view is the first thing I noticed that I am missing from the program.

With only 15+ notes in a single view, all others are too cluttered for me to find what I am looking for, and I will store much more notes than this over time.

Please take this seriously, one more view is not going to clutter up the interface. It will instead make sure that your power-users will stick to the app that otherwise is really great.

You can make it a premium feature if you so wish, so that you force users to pay to use it, it would so very much be worth it.

I hope you can re-think this feature, and add it soon. It would make your great software even better.

Regards,

Matts

• Level 5*
Or better, just add notes on the tree view of the notebooks (first panel). That would be just perfect! Notebooks and below the notes inside them. There is no need to add a new panel just to show the notes. The Hierarchy panel is enough.

I would think that that would be a non-starter. It wouldn't scale particularly well, for one. The the problem of what information to show in the note entry would likely be problematic: long titles, several dates, a tag list, author, etc.; that's a pretty long line (yes, you could have configuration, as with the list view). I'm not saying that it couldn't be done, or that Evernote won't do it, mind, but I think it wouldn't lead to a good UI.

• Level 5
I must also agree that a simple Title-view is all I want and need. This is my first day with Evernote, and this view is the first thing I noticed that I am missing from the program.

Here is how I create a title list, in just seconds, that can be added to Evernote, Word, or other software. This will work for Free Users or Premium Users.

1.) Select the notes you want - or all notes (Ctrl + A)

2.) Right click on highlighted items in Note List and "copy note links"

3.) Paste links into a new note or a Word document

Example:

• Level 5
I would like to also second the need for a Pure Vertical List view. Neither List / Snippet / Thumbnail work work me and its pretty annoying not being able to tailor EN to how I would prefer it.

Did you notice the posting of a "Pure Vertical List" that is just 3 postings up.

In just seconds, I was easily able to "tailor EN to how I would prefer it".

• 6 months later...

I agree with the others. Having just started using EN, I was disappointed to see no vertical list view. This would help power users who appreciate being able to see a long list of note names at a single glance. Please make this a priority.

• Level 5*

Power user or not, I think everyone's monitor has more horizontal than vertical space, so a list view in the middle (as opposed to the top) would be much appreciated. I don't think another view would be cluttered looking myself. However, if that is the case, perhaps a compromise would be to give us control in preferences over what the snippet view displays: lines displayed (0-6) and content displayed (date created, date updated, note size, etc.).

With options, everyone is happy :)

• Level 5*

But GM, you've been around long enough to know that Evernote prefer not to offer too many options....

I know, but hope springs eternal in me that someone at Evernote will eventually agree with me that form and function can coexist in harmony. The UI can look as uncluttered and beautiful as it looks now (great improvements over the years) and still have options in the menu for users who want to take more control of their experience. This seemingly inexorable trend towards winnowing down Evernote's potential for getting stuff done must be stopped!

• 1 month later...

I agree that the snippet view is painful for minimalists would see the single-line view in the list view, but prefer their content pane on the right. What if, instead of creating a whole new view (which clearly is against the odds), you enhanced the snippet view by allowing the user to select a 1, 2, or 3 (the current view) line view? I would happily compromise to opt for a one-line view in lieu of what currently exist or pushing for a new view in its entirety.

• Level 5

I don't know if this just in the beta version, but I think the new Vertical View is fantastic.

I switched over to it, and live on it 95% of the time.

Here is a screen shot which shows how much information can be viewed at one time.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/02fe1465-6575-4d38-a7f9-a1cf8dbb40a2/fc8843b5aab0586e9164fee42533ada4

• Level 5*

I don't know if this just in the beta version, but I think the new Vertical View is fantastic.

Here is a screen shot which shows how much information can be viewed at one time.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/02fe1465-6575-4d38-a7f9-a1cf8dbb40a2/fc8843b5aab0586e9164fee42533ada4

It is a beautiful work of art. Makes me want to ditch the iPad and buy a Windows tablet. Or, maybe even an ultrabook :)

• Level 5*

This is a good example of how Evernote got it wrong. For years they have insisted that we don't really need a vertical list, that it just makes things cluttered, and, in the words of Dave Engberg, is "over-engineering" the problem.

Now that people are indicating how much they like this view, I hope Evernote gets the message that they internally can not predict and design just one limited UI that will meet the needs of millions of users, who will have a diversity of needs and use cases. Evernote needs to give us options, which can be done in a way that is NOT cluttered, and easily understood. Evernote can then set the defaults to what they will most users will want, but can be easily changed for those who need something different.

Evernote has stated many times that they what everyone on the planet to use Evernote. That means options, options, options. Do you think everyone wants to drive the same exact color, make, and model of a car or bike?

• Level 5

I don't think Evernote is trying to be another Henry Ford.

"You can have any color as long as it's black."

I've been impressed with the amount of variety in the UI with the Windows client.

• View options - List, Snippet, Thumbnail and now Vertical
  • Toggle Left Panel option
  • Toggle Note List option
  • Toggle Note Panel option
  • Toggle Favorites Bar option
  • Toggle Search Explanation option
  • Toggle Note Info option
  • Toggle Editing Toolbar option
  • Toggle Status Bar option
  • Toggle Unassigned Tags option
  • General options
  • Sync options
  • Note options
  • Hot keys options
  • Language options
  • Clipping Preferences options
  • Customize Toolbar options

• Level 5*

EN Win, yes. EN Mac, not so much.

But many of us have been asking for a few things for a long time:

• Vertical List (just now added)
  • Highlighter
  • Due Date
  • Mac parity with Win

I've been impressed with the amount of variety in the UI with the Windows client.

Yeah, JMichael and GrumpyMonkey have been good about compiling and sharing all the differences between the two clients. The Mac client looks pretty sad in comparison.

The Mac client looks pretty sad in comparison.

The look of the Mac client is the only thing that isn't sad in comparison. (I get your real point though).

But many of us have been asking for a few things for a long time:

• Vertical List (just now added)
  • Highlighter
  • Due Date
  • Mac parity with Win

• Merge notes with Click Order !!!

http://www.evernote....164fee42533ada4

I presume this new vertical view is just for Windows, correct? I saw your screenshot and was getting really excited, but I cannot find any such equivalent view in the Mac client. Darn! Please bring this view to the Mac client (and since I'm wishing, I'll second the request to have greater parity between the Win and Mac clients, the Mac client always seems to get the short end of the stick).

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but the HD widescreen monitors and laptop screens that are prevalent these days make this feature a complete no-brainer in my opinion. There is plenty of horizontal space but vertical space is limited.

The screen shot from jbenson2 above is exactly how it should look and work (well done lad for the image).

I would love to use Evernote and I check back every month or two to see if this feature has been implemented, but until it has I'll have to keep using something else.

• 8 months later...

Just bumping this thread, as the feature appears to still be unavailable for Mac client.  For academic note taking, I think the ability to reduce the Snippet View to just the note title would be very helpful, particularly as Snippet View tends to elide (hierarchical) formatting, making a kind of nonsense out of notes taken that way (most of mine). That is, not a useful snippet, but rather a confusing one.

• Level 5*

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but the HD widescreen monitors and laptop screens that are prevalent these days make this feature a complete no-brainer in my opinion. There is plenty of horizontal space but vertical space is limited.

Evidently Evernote is brain-dead with respect to this need/request.   A simple, text-only, vertical list view is probably the simplest of all views to implement.

Yet, in spite of great demand/requests from their users/customers, Evernote fails to appreciate this need.

I'm going to err on the side of apologia for the EverNote team, acknowledging that no one outside the coders themselves can understand all the obstacles to what may SEEM to be an easy change.

Just wanted to add that, for me, EverNote won out over OmniOutliner for its "Notebook" idea (as opposed to using the OS file browser to organize notes).  In my view, including the vertical list is not only a space-saver, but also emphasizes EN's advantage over other note-taking software:  the ability of EN to emulate one's rucksack.  For a full course load, I want to open it up and see the spines only of my notebooks (neatly accomplished with the "Shortcuts" bar), each of which I want to be able to quickly open to a Table of Contents.

(I also acknowledge that the above represents "old" thinking, marrying software functionality to pre-computer notions of organization.)

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Level 5*

I second this request.

Please make vertical list view available in the UI.

Monitors have more horizontal than vertical space, have you already noticed it?

Mac? Windows? Vertical list view is available on both, as far as I know.

Archived