HOWTO: Force plain text?

• 4 weeks later...

I know this has been requested many times before, but I've tried all of the workarounds and would still *love* to see a feature that forces a particular note, or notebook to raw text mode only (the whole notebook or note--no mixed formatting--just plain text).

Like all of the other users trying to manage text which gets copied/pasted back out of Evernote, I've resorted to various clean-up routines to remove formatting (or try to prevent it in the first place) but I keep coming back to the same desire to have a text-only capability.

I'll put my money where my mouth is and upgrade to the Pro version if we get this feature. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

It's difficult explaining what's happening with text so here's a screenshot. This is what my text looks like in Evernote 3.0.0 Beta 1 (161622) on Mac OS X 10.6.8:

20110826-pscgri2tu4axj96g1mp937tnpw.medium.jpg

This is what it looks like when I'm sharing it via the web or viewing it online.

20110826-js2qbkphicfj3yaqbpkp27j566.medium.jpg

See the mess and notice the inconsistency with the fonts? This happens all the time. You can view this note online here.

I'm a Premium user.

+1 for plain text. I do all my notes on the desktop client in plain text. That meant I could edit them on the old iPad/iPhone client, too. But now that the IOS devices always convert everything to rich text, and in a non-correct way (paragraph separators are done incorrectly is the main - and huge - problem), I don't feel at all comfortable editing notes on IOS anymore. That's a big step backward for me. And would be solved instantly if the plain text option were available.

Also, I'd like to have an option to send emails as plain text. Becauseemails from Evernote cannot be sent to other services like Remember the milk or Wunderlist. To RTM, they never arrive, to WL make a complete mess with tasks like p, td { line-height: 1.3; }, a:hover { color: #000; text-decoration: underline; } etc.

For some reason, the new Evernote version thought it could change all kinds of formatting (even creating some kind of “x-apple-data-detectors://0/” whatever that may be) and remove white space (between characters as well as underneath sentences) without ever asking me.

I would expect that fixing my note in the Windows client, at least removing all the unwanted added formatting, isn’t a big deal, right? Wrong. I tried to apply “Simply formatting” to the note, but nothing seems to happen to it. Even when I select the entire note and apply the "Simplify formatting" I still have those pesky urls. The only way to fix it seems to copy the entire contents of the note into a text editor (like notepad) en manually re-enter all the whitespaces and -lines, and then copying everything back into the note.

Having to re-enter months of whitespaces and -lines is v e r y frustrating.

So in conclusion, please give a plain text functionality. What are you afraid of?

(note: to clarify, I DO use lots of formatted notes for others uses, but I ALSO need plain text ones)

+1(miiillion)

I, too, would LOVE the forced formatting on the iOS app to be OPTIONAL! Please folks. I use many, many, plain text-formatted notes, and the app is virtually unusable for me now. I am a paid Evernote Premium user, and my service is less than stellar these days (considering functionality was essentially "removed").

+100 for plain text. Please, please. I love this app, but all I ever use it for is plain text editing, and with the new iPhone update the app is now basically unusable. Everything is in paragraphs (double-space) instead of simple line breaks (single-space). I am considering switching to the PlainText iPhone app.

Edit: never mind, just found Simplenote for the iPhone and Notational Velocity for the Mac (which syncs natively with Simplenote). Wish I had known about these apps sooner! Evernote is great for all the bells and whistles, but for simple text editing and organizing, this is much cleaner, faster, and easier to use.

• 2 weeks later...

Evernote is *horribly* broken at the moment. Just try creating a simple text note of a few lines of plain text in the iPhone app, then go edit it on a Mac. The fonts and line space change all over the map as you make edits on the Mac and iOS. It's definitely broken.

I'm relatively new to Evernote, but since this last round of updates, I've been looking hard for alternatives. The idea is great, the feature set looks great on paper, but the implementation is definitely broken. From those who've been with Evernote for a while ... do these kinds of things get addressed quickly?

(I want to like Evernote, but I'm having trouble at the moment)

• Level 5*

Check out the iPhone thread for lots and lots of discussion on this.

But to answer your question, generally Evernote update all their clients pretty quickly. I'm sure fixes to the clearly screwed up iOS platform will come fairly quickly.

evernote is horribly broken. I want to edit simple notes on my desktop and iphone.

I currently can not do this as the formatting is so buggy across systems. The simple solution allow the option of plain text. (or actually provide a consistent formatting system across the platforms)

if this is not fixed asap, i will need to drop my premium subscription as this tool is currently unable to do the most simplest of tasks. This is a shame as it WAS really cool and i was a happy customer.

:?

• 1 month later...

Here's my (Mac-only) workaround that no one will like, but maybe one person will copy and see that it's worth using, given the sorry state of Evernote formatting right now:

Notational Velocity has no formatting and opens instantly. Therefore, when I need to paste something into Evernote without formatting, I copy, open NV (from the dock), paste, copy from NV, paste into EN. Of course it adds two or three seconds to the process, but it literally adds only two or three seconds to the process, so when I need no formatting, it's worth it.

• 2 months later...

Yep, I don't have major problems with it. However I have some totally jacked formatting that come from the HTML on the pages I clip. I have installed Clearly, but even using that doesn't do much to fix the issue. I have plenty of notes that have a 300px left padding that I can't do anything about with the editor. I have to copy it to Windows Notepad, paste the note, and then copy and repaste it back into evernote. Its a pain.

I also run into some really odd issues using bullet-ed lists with evernote windows.

Thanks, Ryan

http://ryandunn.co

• Level 5*

Old topic, I know, but it is something people have been talking about in other threads recently, and the title here says it pretty well. Basically, I hope that Evernote will consider giving us a way to have just plain text without any hidden crud. My solution? Plain text as default. Rich text as an option. That's it. 90% of my notes, and a lot of my frustration would be covered by this simple solution.

1. Paste without formatting (Mac) does not work. There are hidden lines all over the place, and I get some really funky behavior, like backspacing that somehow manages to skip a full line of text and "backspace" up above it. I have never seen behavior so bizarre in any program.

2. The only way that I know of to get rid of the crud is to paste into a text editor or some other app.

Why is this so necessary? Let's say you are putting together a report (me today) and you are trying to format the text (me today) and banging your head against the screen in rage doesn't help. You paste it into a text editor and find literally several lines of blank space where there ought to be none between lines. Ugh. What a disaster, and a really frustrating waste of time on my part.

EDIT: Oh my goodness. If I may be permitted to continue my rant. I just copied it into a text editor, then copied it back into EN. I tried to cut a section and paste it, but the cursor leaped up to the top and pasted the section there. I literally cannot paste anything into the middle of my note. What is going on!? The HTML code looks fine to me, so this new problem seems to be something going on in the app when it tries to paste. I think I have to give up on EN right now, because I have work to do, and this is killing me.

Old topic, I know, but it is something people have been talking about in other threads recently, and the title here says it pretty well. Basically, I hope that Evernote will consider giving us a way to have just plain text without any hidden crud. My solution? Plain text as default. Rich text as an option. That's it. 90% of my notes, and a lot of my frustration would be covered by this simple solution.

1. Paste without formatting (Mac) does not work. There are hidden lines all over the place, and I get some really funky behavior, like backspacing that somehow manages to skip a full line of text and "backspace" up above it. I have never seen behavior so bizarre in any program.

2. The only way that I know of to get rid of the crud is to paste into a text editor or some other app.

Why is this so necessary? Let's say you are putting together a report (me today) and you are trying to format the text (me today) and banging your head against the screen in rage doesn't help. You paste it into a text editor and find literally several lines of blank space where there ought to be none between lines. Ugh. What a disaster, and a really frustrating waste of time on my part.

EDIT: Oh my goodness. If I may be permitted to continue my rant. I just copied it into a text editor, then copied it back into EN. I tried to cut a section and paste it, but the cursor leaped up to the top and pasted the section there. I literally cannot paste anything into the middle of my note. What is going on!? The HTML code looks fine to me, so this new problem seems to be something going on in the app when it tries to paste. I think I have to give up on EN right now, because I have work to do, and this is killing me.

From your keyboard to Phil Libin's ears, I hope. Ironically, I've created a tag in EN just to keep all my notes about how to get around EN's pernicious and relentless reformatting of notes. :) My current workaround is the terrific evernote-mode in emacs, but people who don't use emacs are SOL.

• Level 5*

Using Text Wrangler right now. I guess you could call it a workaround. I call it quite annoying. I have lecture notes to prepare for tomorrow, and yet again I've got to deal with mysterious formatting in the Mac client. I am too busy to be angry about this right now, but I have to say that at the moment I am not a happy camper!

• Level 5*

I think the basic problem is that the EN Mac "Paste without formatting" removes the text formats (like bold, italics, etc), but leaves the HTML structure code in place. So, for example, if the text is in a HTML table, the HTML "<Table> </Table>" code is still pasted.

Every other app I know of that has a "paste as plain text", does just that: text ONLY with no HTML code of any kind, except maybe for line breaks ("<BR>").

It is interesting that EN chose different words to describe this function. So maybe they intend to paste the HTML structure.

If so, then there needs to be another Paste option which is "Paste as Plain text", which means exactly what I have described above.

It would seem this might be a simple, yet very effective fix.

Just wanted to add my voice to this issue....

It's a real pain, struggling with inconsistent formats/fonts. This is what I'd like:

• A proper Paste Without Formatting option (which consistently removes all formatting). And this needs to be available in the right-click menu not just in the application menu or via a 3-key sequence please
  • A 'Format Painter' function like the one available in MS Word so it's easy to copy the format of an existing part of a note over the recently pasted txt (which invariably has a different format)

I seem to be spending too much of my time messing with notes to get the formatting consistent/tidy.

Count me in for a per-note toggle for plain-text vs. formatted. Would be great if the default for new notes (rtf vs plain) could be set in the settings, as well as different people seem to have vastly differing percentages of plain vs formatted notes.

My guess for the non-working pastewithout formatting option is that all notes (unformatted and formatted) to be html-esque internally, so pasting "real" plain text would not display line breaks correctly and pasted plain text needs to be automatically converted n --> <br/>, but thats just an idea.

BTW this forum software is so bad! I have to re-sign in every couple minutes, and then it doesnt redirect me to the thread i'm currently viewing,

• Level 5*

Count me in for a per-note toggle for plain-text vs. formatted. Would be great if the default for new notes (rtf vs plain) could be set in the settings, as well as different people seem to have vastly differing percentages of plain vs formatted notes.

My guess for the non-working pastewithout formatting option is that all notes (unformatted and formatted) to be html-esque internally, so pasting "real" plain text would not display line breaks correctly and pasted plain text needs to be automatically converted n --> <br/>, but thats just an idea.

BTW this forum software is so bad! I have to re-sign in every couple minutes, and then it doesnt redirect me to the thread i'm currently viewing,

If only it were just a matter of leaving </br> in the notes with a "plain text" option, I could deal with it, assuming it would get rid of the mysterious lines and bizarre behavior. So frustrated with EN over the last 48 hours. It seems a small thing, but it brings everything to a halt: the iPad becomes useless (cannot paste out of EN without turning it into a massive block of text), EN on the Mac becomes useless (quite literally cannot edit a note), and I am reduced to opening a text editor just to do basic stuff. Last night I honestly contemplated somehow finding a way to go back to using a combination of simple text editors like Elements on the iPad and non-text files in Dropbox (I gave up on the idea for now, because I don't see an easy way to link up the PDFs with my notes on the iPad--metadata and searches in EN are just too valuable).

Anyhow, the forum is also annoying. I can't believe it is supposed to work this way (making me re-sign in all the time and not directing us to the threads we were viewing).

[...]

If only it were just a matter of leaving </br> in the notes with a "plain text" option [...] Last night I honestly contemplated somehow finding a way to go back to using a combination of simple text editors like Elements on the iPad and non-text files in Dropbox (I gave up on the idea for now, because I don't see an easy way to link up the PDFs with my notes on the iPad--metadata and searches in EN are just too valuable).

[...]

As I said in this thread , I do sympathize with your desire to use plain-text. It's not that easy to implement this for all clients (as I tried to explain in the other thread).

However, I'm developing a cloud-based solution to sync Simplenote and Evernote, as I think that the two services both have their strengths and it is easier to connect them rather to expect their respective clients to get updated. I'm not making any promises, but I'm considering a closed beta for interested people in the first quarter of this year. Send me a personal message with your Evernote username if you are interested.

• Level 5*

[...]

If only it were just a matter of leaving </br> in the notes with a "plain text" option [...] Last night I honestly contemplated somehow finding a way to go back to using a combination of simple text editors like Elements on the iPad and non-text files in Dropbox (I gave up on the idea for now, because I don't see an easy way to link up the PDFs with my notes on the iPad--metadata and searches in EN are just too valuable).

[...]

As I said in this thread http://discussion.ev...post__p__119356 , I do sympathize with your desire to use plain-text. It's not that easy to implement this for all clients (as I tried to explain in the other thread).

However, I'm developing a cloud-based solution to sync Simplenote and Evernote, as I think that the two services both have their strengths and it is easier to connect them rather to expect their respective clients to get updated. I'm not making any promises, but I'm considering a closed beta for interested people in the first quarter of this year. Send me a personal message with your Evernote username if you are interested.

Yep. That was a helpful post. I remember reading it, and that's why I mentioned <br />. I'll get in touch with you by pm.

• 2 weeks later...

Using Text Wrangler right now. I guess you could call it a workaround. I call it quite annoying. I have lecture notes to prepare for tomorrow, and yet again I've got to deal with mysterious formatting in the Mac client. I am too busy to be angry about this right now, but I have to say that at the moment I am not a happy camper!

Yeah, I've resorted to using TextWrangler as well. The formatting issues are non-existent, but now I'm completely disorganized!

• Level 5*

Yeah, I've resorted to using TextWrangler as well. The formatting issues are non-existent, but now I'm completely disorganized!

indeed. it is a very poor workaround.

I'd like to add my voice to the 'plain text in Evernote' lobby!

My preference would be for all notes to be default plain text, with an option for rich text if I should want that (this is a rare occurrence).

If there was a good reason that this couldn't be implemented (I realise I'm only one person, and if most people prefer rich text as the default, then who am I to argue?) then I'd be perfectly happy with a nice, simple button that resets all formatting to plain text in a given note. I use Evernote in Windows, on my iPad and on my Android phone, and it drives me bonkers that I can't easily remove the formatting from something I've copy-pasted into an EN file on my mobile devices.

Other than this, I find Evernote to be one of the most useful and helpful applications I use across the variety of platforms that I work with!

• Level 5*

I'd like to add my voice to the 'plain text in Evernote' lobby!

My preference would be for all notes to be default plain text, with an option for rich text if I should want that (this is a rare occurrence).

If there was a good reason that this couldn't be implemented (I realise I'm only one person, and if most people prefer rich text as the default, then who am I to argue?) then I'd be perfectly happy with a nice, simple button that resets all formatting to plain text in a given note. I use Evernote in Windows, on my iPad and on my Android phone, and it drives me bonkers that I can't easily remove the formatting from something I've copy-pasted into an EN file on my mobile devices.

Other than this, I find Evernote to be one of the most useful and helpful applications I use across the variety of platforms that I work with!

you aren't the only one :)

i made a similar request several times. i guess i am lobbying for it. my biggest problem at the moment is the ipad. oh, the frustration! tiny 4 or 5 pixel text mixed with gigantic 30 something pixel text, and no way to adjust font or size. on the mac, i'd second (or third) the use of formatmatch. nice app.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Indeed. My single biggest frustration with Evernote is it constantly reformatting my code into an unreadable mess.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just joined the forum just so I could add to the requests for a text-only mode.

On a per stack basis, per note, or just a preference toggle.

Please, please.....

Thanks...Lyle

• 1 month later...

Paste as plain text/ASCII:

Is there an answer yet, please? I'm new to Evernote, tho' old to computers, searched here and found people and multiple topics asking but no answer emerged.

There must be a way; can someone promote it to where it's findable?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Technically, there is no plain text in Evernote, because (as I understand it) everything is saved into an Evernote variant of an XHTML file. I want it too, and I have requested it before. However, it may neither be feasible, nor worth the investment in resources, because I guess most people are not so concerned about plain text.

So, working with what we've got, about the closest you can get now is to paste from a text editor. On the Mac, the easiest way to do this is with an app called FormatMatch (free), which will copy text as plain text and paste it (just like running it through a text editor, except without having to recopy/paste -- a one-step process. For many people (I guess), this will probably be enough.

Most of my notes are just text, so I would also like a way to strip out everything, but simplify formatting doesn't quite do it. If you really want to make absolutely sure that you have the cleanest one possible, create a new note and use FormatMatch. If you encounter funky formatting, the quickest solution (in my opinion) is to create a new note and copy/paste with Format Match. Whatever artefacts that were causing the problem will be gone.

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5*

I am pretty pleased at the moment with the Plain Text option on the Mac. This is the way that Evernote needs to go, and it has greatly relieved a lot of my concerns. This is probably the closest we are going to get to "true" Plain Text within an XHTML environment. Have you downloaded the latest Mac client?

• 4 weeks later...

This sucks, but my simple work-around is to paste any text into the search field in my browser, re-copy it and then paste it. It washes everything away, including line breaks - but, oh well. I'd rather put in a few returns to make paragraphs than have to accept ugly formatting.

• Level 5*

This sucks, but my simple work-around is to paste any text into the search field in my browser, re-copy it and then paste it. It washes everything away, including line breaks - but, oh well. I'd rather put in a few returns to make paragraphs than have to accept ugly formatting.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Have you tried the "Make Plain Text" function on the Mac? If this isn't for you, and you want to paste without formatting, I highly recommend the formatmatch (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/formatmatch/id445211988?mt=12) app, which just sits up in the main toolbar ready to activate/deactivate as needed with a simple keyboard shortcut. 

• 1 month later...

Gmail's "Remove Formatting" key and "Plain Text" mode are are fantastic. I add my voice to the chorus calling out for these options in Evernote. Not having to constantly undo formatting dragged in from webclippings is a big plus for Simplenote and Google Keep for me. I'd love to see Evernote solve this problem.

PS: I have to admit Chrome's built in ctrl+shift+v option for pasting only plain text is pretty sweet. It forces me to use Chrome for Evernote instead of my preferred Firefox, but it is an efficient workaround for the moment.

• Level 5*

Gmail's "Remove Formatting" key and "Plain Text" mode are are fantastic. I add my voice to the chorus calling out for these options in Evernote. Not having to constantly undo formatting dragged in from webclippings is a big plus for Simplenote and Google Keep for me. I'd love to see Evernote solve this problem.

PS: I have to admit Chrome's built in ctrl+shift+v option for pasting only plain text is pretty sweet. It forces me to use Chrome for Evernote instead of my preferred Firefox, but it is an efficient workaround for the moment.

Hasn't Evernote solved this problem already? Evernote has a "Make Plain Text" option in the Mac and iOS clients. If you are on Mac, the FormatMatch app (free and sits in your toolbar ready to be activated/deactivated with a shortcut key) is a convenient option for everything (not just Evernote), so you could go back to using Firefox if you would like :)

GrumpyMonkey wrote: "Hasn't Evernote solved this problem already? Evernote has a "Make Plain Text" option in the Mac and iOS clients."

Thanks for the tip on Macs!  I figured out the Windows Firefox problem:

The ctrl+shift+v trick works in both Chrome and Firefox, but AdBlock's default settings conflict in Firefox. Users need to type about:config in the address window and hit enter (you'll get a warning), search on adblock, look down the Value column until you see "Accel Shift V, Accel Shift U". Double click to edit and make it simply "Accel Shift U".  Close out of Firefox and reopen it.  The ctrl+shift+v trick should work now.

Since both Firefox and Chrome have fixed this problem in general, I can't see Evernote spending any time on it other than making it a helpful hint somewhere, if they haven't already.  I withdraw my request (update +0).

• Level 5*

GrumpyMonkey wrote: "Hasn't Evernote solved this problem already? Evernote has a "Make Plain Text" option in the Mac and iOS clients."

Thanks for the tip on Macs!  I figured out the Windows Firefox problem:

The ctrl+shift+v trick works in both Chrome and Firefox, but AdBlock's default settings conflict in Firefox. Users need to type about:config in the address window and hit enter (you'll get a warning), search on adblock, look down the Value column until you see "Accel Shift V, Accel Shift U". Double click to edit and make it simply "Accel Shift U".  Close out of Firefox and reopen it.  The ctrl+shift+v trick should work now.

Since both Firefox and Chrome have fixed this problem in general, I can't see Evernote spending any time on it other than making it a helpful hint somewhere, if they haven't already.  I withdraw my request (update +0).

Glad to hear that you have everything working smoothly! I agree that they really ought to advertise this feature. It is often the case, unfortunately, that the really nice improvements and hard work that developers put into the app goes unrecognized because they fail to mention it! 

I recently found the ctrl+shift+v shortcut and I am not running AdBlock, but will soon be. Thanks MrYdobon for discovering and reporting the AdBlock problem. That would have been frustrating had I been using Evernote on the web with AdBlock running and not knowing that it was going to cause me some trouble. Fortunately, the shortcut also works in the desktop Evernote.

• 1 month later...

I love Evernote for Mac, but I have one gripe with the client. Why does 'Simplify Formatting' have a key-combo macro of 'CMD+Shift+F', yet the option below it in the 'Format' menubar action item 'Make Plain Text' does not have any? It'd be simple to do 'CMD+Shift+P' and as far as I know, that isn't a system-wide macro taken by the OS.

• Level 5*

I love Evernote for Mac, but I have one gripe with the client. Why does 'Simplify Formatting' have a key-combo macro of 'CMD+Shift+F', yet the option below it in the 'Format' menubar action item 'Make Plain Text' does not have any? It'd be simple to do 'CMD+Shift+P' and as far as I know, that isn't a system-wide macro taken by the OS.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I agree that a shortcut key would be nice!

Evernote for Mac is arguably completely inconsistent in terms of keyboard shortcuts. This is not the only example. 

Fortunately, while you are waiting for Godot, you can craft your own keyboard shortcut

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not having a the ability to force a plain text format for a Note is a show stopper for us.

We work on many projects and share a lot of code snippets and other text from many different applications.

When we do the copy and paste thing, the outcome is not consistent.

Oh and often we use OS X on one client's site and Windows on another.

We keep trying to use Evernote but always seem to move back to a text editor (then we have to use some other sort of Sync) for these reasons.

-jim

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

Hasn't Evernote solved this problem already? Evernote has a "Make Plain Text" option in the Mac and iOS clients.

And if you're not using the Mac and iOS clients?

I'm sorry. I don't know. At around 51:40 on the Evernote Podcast #35: Intelligentsy Episode (January 2013) they said it would be coming to other clients. I am afraid that is the last official word I heard about this. 

• 1 month later...

Yes... I would like a 100% plaintext only mode that is completely dumb and only ASCII.

About half the time I use EverNote, the formatting is completely painful and useless.  It makes me switch to using TextMate on Mac, b/c I don't want any of the custom formatting at all for my purposes (programming notes).

• 1 year later...

I use to use Evernote to store my SQL queries. And reuse them in my projects. It made me a Jedi amongst the MySQL guys I work with as I could search and find Huge SQL queries to reuse instantly. 

Now the latest version inserts invisible characters in its formatting and this raises errors in MySQL. So I need to retype everything in a plain text editor. 

This really sucks. 

@GM: can you tell me how one get the number for a specific post on a page?

In the example below the number in the link is 199660? i.e. how do you create that specific link?

+1 for plaintext support for Mac. I don't want to install an add-on. 

Come on you guys.. This sort of feature should be available without a 4 page thread of users whining at you.

It is available. Have you tried it?
http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16777-howto-force-plain-text/?p=199660

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, lps said:

This is still a problem for me on Mac.   You can upvote this as a requested feature on this thread: 

Have you used the Code Block formatScreen Shot 2016-11-04 at 10.21.46 AM.png

Archived