(Archived) Feature Request: Highlighting

One of my main uses for Evernote is to collect articles relating to a topic I happen to be researching. I would love to have the capability to highlight selection portions of text in a note -- like you would do with one of those yellow highlighter pens. Any possibility of adding that feature to the text formatting tool bar in notes?

Thanks.

. . . I would love to have the capability to highlight selection portions of text in a note -- like you would do with one of those yellow highlighter pens. Any possibility of adding that feature to the text formatting tool bar in notes?

Thanks.

Thanks for your request. This has been requested many times, but has not been implemented as of yet. But the more users that request this feature the sooner it will be implemented. Please feel free to continue to express your support for this feature.

• Level 5*
But the more users that request this feature the sooner it will be implemented.

Yes, highlighting would be a welcome feature, but it's not really clear that this is a true statement; witness "true" hierarchical tags and note linking.

One would hope that highlighting is a very simple change and can be done quickly.

The process and code is very similar to applying other font attributes like bold, color, etc.

I can't speak for others, but just about every thing I clip (from either Web or email) I need to apply highlighting.

Changing the other font attributes just doesn't make the text stand out nearly as much, as well it may be confused with formatting made by the original author.

I too would like to be able to highlight text in my notes like I can in Microsoft Word. I use Evernote for my studies and sometimes there are sections that I want to highlight, I've been changing the font, color and size of the text but some notes already have a lot of formatting so it doesn't stand out as well as I would like.

• 3 weeks later...

I vote for that too. I switched to evernote from xpad and I was disapointed that evernote doesn't have the highlight button. This is just a button that sets the background of the selected text highlight yellow. The problem is that on the mac you cannot do that easily in a font favorite (doesn't save the background), so it would be nice to get the button.

Macosx 10.6.7 Evernote 2.0.5

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*

Evernote guys - please, please add a "highlight pen" feature :rolleyes:

Don't forget that some clients already have highlighting (iOS), ao I imagine it will come at some point to other clients :)

Ok, if this is a popularity contest, I'd also like to mention that highlighting would be really useful.

It feels like the lack of this feature is an ideological decision by the developers. Or maybe it's just too boring for the coders to write 10 new lines and add it. Prove me wrong, please...

• Level 5*

Ok, if this is a popularity contest, I'd also like to mention that highlighting would be really useful.

It feels like the lack of this feature is an ideological decision by the developers. Or maybe it's just too boring for the coders to write 10 new lines and add it. Prove me wrong, please...

Hi. Welcome to the user forums!

The highlighting feature is available on the iOS platform, so I doubt there is anything ideological. Although, it would be kind of cool if someone developed an ideology that incorporated anti-highlighting elements :) Wavy highlighting of entire pages in library books is pretty annoying, but beyond that, I haven't been able to develop much displeasure with highlighters. As for boring, I doubt there is anything boring about it -- I am sure they've got it on the roadmap somewhere, but just are not ready to release it yet.

I'm not sure if it is a popularity contest, but every user voice helps them get a better idea of what users want, so it's great to voice your opinion!

• 6 months later...

Highlight feature is a MUST HAVE also under Windows (as already available in 'Clearly' - but not all my notes come from the web!).

Or do you want me to buy a Mac in order to please Guy Kawasaki B) ?

• Level 5*

Highlight feature is a MUST HAVE also under Windows (as already available in 'Clearly' - but not all my notes come from the web!).

Or do you want me to buy a Mac in order to please Guy Kawasaki B) ?

I don't know if Guy would be happy, but you wouldn't be, because the Mac doesn't have a highlighter either :)

• Level 5*

Thanx GrumpyMonkey for the prompt reply. So I will go for an iPad -_-

While the EN iPad is the only client so far that has a highlighter, EN Mac has many important and ciritical features NOT found in EN iPad. I, for one, would not buy an iPad just because EN iPad has a highlighter. ;)

• Level 5*

Thanx GrumpyMonkey for the prompt reply. So I will go for an iPad -_-

While the EN iPad is the only client so far that has a highlighter, EN Mac has many important and ciritical features NOT found in EN iPad. I, for one, would not buy an iPad just because EN iPad has a highlighter. ;)

Well, that's true, of course. I'd like to think there are other compelling reasons to get an iPad. If a highlighter is the excuse the poster needs to convince themselves or their spouse to get it, then so be it :)

• Level 5*

Well, that's true, of course. I'd like to think there are other compelling reasons to get an iPad. If a highlighter is the excuse the poster needs to convince themselves or their spouse to get it, then so be it :)

The buyer of an iPad should just be aware that it is NOT a laptop replacement, far from it. I have two iPads, have owned one since the very beginning. It has a lot of cool, unique features, but try as hard as I could it just doesn't replace a laptop. The MacBook Airs are great computers, very light and very portable.

I have owned 3 MBAs. The MBA-11 has been on sale recently by Best Buy for only $799! I recommend doing a test drive at your local Apple Store or Best Buy before making any buying decisions about an iPad.

Archived