how-to make a hyperlink to a file/folder on a local drive

helix

This question has been raised at least twice recently. Here is how to do it easily:

1. Copy the full path of the intended file\folder to the clipboard (pls see below).

2. Go to EN, write down a title for your hyperlink.

3. Mark the title.

4. Ctrl-K, paste the copied file path ON TOP of the "http://" marked text, NOT after it, resulting in a text starting with "C:\Documents\..", (not "http://C\Documents\... "). file:/// etc. is added automatically.

5. Click OK, done.

[Addendum]

Or, if you just want the URL:

3. Ctrl-K, paste the path as described above, click OK, done.

The trick here is copying the path to the clipboard rather than writing it manually, which could be sometimes quite tiresome.

In Win7: In Explorer point to the targeted file, hold the “Shift” key and right click that file icon, press "copy as path".

In XP: Unfortunately no such function here. But - download and install a small free utility, ClipboardPath by Stefan Bertels,

from http://stefan.bertels.org/en/clipboardpath, (thank you Stefan!). This utility adds the command "Copy Path to Clipboard" to the right-click filename menu. In Explorer right-click the filename, choose this command to copy the file path and proceed to 2,3,4.

[Addendum]

In XP (more): It is also possible to get the path using Internet Explorer (a longer procedure):

- In IE8 press File< Open< Browse.

- In the lower file type box (the one with "HTML"), open the dropdown menu and choose "all Files".

- Browse to the targeted file and click it twice.

- Copy the path from the small window opened at the upper left corner.

Good luck to all, helix

Thanks, Helix, for responding to one of my #1 requests.

The file:/// prefix is inserted, as you stated -- this seems to be new because last time I tried with 4.0 it didn't seem to do even that -- but when I click on the hyperlink nothing happens.

I pasted 1) a path to a text file with spaces in it 2) a path to a jpg without spaces, 3) a path to a folder without spaces. None of the hyperlinks was active, in that nothing happens when I click on them.

I'm running XP SP3 and 122872 Public (after the 2.4.2 pre-release install failed on me last night). How come this trick works for you and not for me?

Lena

• Level 5

Lena,

If you create a new note, and type in C:\ and then press the space bar:

1 - Does the note editor automatically turn it into a hyperlink with a blue underline?

2 - If so, does clicking on the link open Windows Explorer at that location?

There have been other reports that clicking on file links doesn't work, but I can't reproduce the problem.

Thanks,

Emerick

• Level 5

Yes, there's something nutty going on here.

I can make a link to C:\ and that opens just fine.

C:\Users\ works too.

even C:\Users\John Smith\ (well, C:\Users\John%20Smith )

but ...

C:\Users\John%20Smith\Documents\ does NOT work. ?????

• Level 5
C:\Users\John%20Smith\Documents\ does NOT work. ?????

So it created a link (blue underline, clickable), but clicking the link doesn't launch Explorer?

What operating system are you running? Also, is it 32-bit or 64-bit? Finally, are you using an account with administrator privileges or are you using a non-admin account?

Thanks,

Emerick

Lena,

1 - Does the note editor automatically turn it into a hyperlink with a blue underline?

Emerick,

Thanks for investigating. Will be REALLY cool if this works!

1 - A hyperlink is created.

2 - When I click on it, the system hesitates as if it's going to open something, but nothing happens.

Lena, running XP SP3, EN 126764 Prerelease.

Emerick,

The following works for me, and a click opens Explorer! :)

C:\Intel\ExtremeGraphics\CUI\Resource\

But not when the folder name breaks with a space

C:\My Documents

If I put %20 into the space to link My and Documents as luckman212 did, it works.

Why %20 or, is there an automatic way to type the space and get this?

What is next? (After the link inside the EN note opens a folder, how to link a file?)

Windows XP (5.1) SP3; EN4.2.1 (122872).

CP

Emerick,

The following works for me, and a click opens Explorer! :)

CP and Emerick,

When I paste F:\Inbox\PhraseExpress onto EN, select it, and paste it again onto the Ctrl-K box, it becomes file:///F:/Inbox/PhraseExpress, but does NOT open Explorer. Go figure! :?

Thanks,

Lena, also running XP

When I paste F:\Inbox\PhraseExpress onto EN, select it, and paste it again onto the Ctrl-K box, it becomes file:///F:/Inbox/PhraseExpress, but does NOT open Explorer. Go figure!

Lena,

After creating the (unresponsive) link via the ctrl-K route, please try to open the ctrl-K box again (with shft-ctrl-K), copy the link, and paste it into the note as it is.

I wonder if that might create an active link?

helix

• Level 5

helix-

If I follow word-for-word your updated instructions in the first post, it does not work for me.

the path I am trying to link to is:

C:\Users\John Smith\Documents\Virtual Machines\Ubuntu

clicking on this link from within EN does absolutely nothing on my system.

as I mentioned before, shortening the URL to just

C:\Users\John Smith\

does work, but it's as if EN can "go no further" down the path-- anything extra beyond the user folder (e.g. Favorites, Documents, Desktop etc) results in a dead link.

Helix:

Thanks! The other alternative in XP is to open the files and copy its location from the properties. Your method does not need to open the file.

The only problem I have now is, how to add %20 automatically in the blank spaces of a folder name or file name?

Also, I am not sure about the Ctrl-K. In my test I did not have to do this, all I have to do is just to paste the path starting with C:\Documents\.... On the other hand, if I hit Ctrl-K I got http:// in front of the path, and pasting it in a note results in http://C\Documents\... without the ":". This obviously will not work. This seems very different from what you described. :?

CP

helix-

If I follow word-for-word your updated instructions in the first post, it does not work for me.

the path I am trying to link to is:

clicking on this link from within EN does absolutely nothing on my system.

as I mentioned before, shortening the URL to just

C:\Users\John Smith\

does work, but it's as if EN can "go no further" down the path-- anything extra beyond the user folder (e.g. Favorites, Documents, Desktop etc) results in a dead link.

I am wondering whether that has to do with your Windows system. As shown in my earlier example, the link seems to work in my PC regardless of the number of levels of subfolders. Or is this because of EN 4.2.2 which you and Lena use? I am still 4.2.1.

But I cannot automatically insert a %20 in the blank spaces in a folder or file name. Any advice appreciated.

CP

helix-

Yes, I noticed that. I have no problems in going deeper with the level of my folders, in using the ctrl-K feature, etc. Very unfortunate I guess. Seems to be an important feature for you.

Could be that this is the new version after all? CP mentioned that you and Lena are running EN 4.2.2 while he and myself still at 4.2.1.

In any case the EN programmers are already aware of that bug, so hopefully they will solve it soon.

helix

----------

The only problem I have now is, how to add %20 automatically in the blank spaces of a folder name or file name?

Also, I am not sure about the Ctrl-K. In my test I did not have to do this, all I have to do is just to paste the path starting with C:\Documents\.... On the other hand, if I hit Ctrl-K I got http:// in front of the path, and pasting it in a note results in http://C\Documents\... without the ":". This obviously will not work. This seems very different from what you described.

I am sorry if my instructions are not clear enough. So, while in a note, when you call Ctrl-K a box appears with "http://" marked blue in it. You have to delete it first and only then paste the copied file path. In other words, and in one step, paste the copied file path ON TOP of the "http://" marked text, NOT after it, resulting in a text starting with "C:\Documents\..", not "http://C\Documents\... ".

To complete the process click the OK button. This click converts the path into an active URL, and in the same time adds %20 automatically in place of all the blank spaces!. :shock:

The URL should now be typed in your note. If it is embedded in a text hyperling you can mark this text, and call shft-ctrl-K (Edit Hyperlink) in order to see the URL, copy it, etc.

Good luck this time, :)

helix

helix, you are my hero. :)

Now, I have found a new way of copying the file address to creat a link in XP, without using IE:

1. In an Explorer window, ctrl-C to copy the folder address (the line under the tool bars)

2. Open a new note, ctrl-K, paste the folder address over the http:// inside, add a slash

3. Highlight the file to be linked, click lightly as if one wants to change the file name, and ctrl-C to copy the file name

4. paste it behind the slash, where the cursor was already at the right place so no extra action is needed.

5. OK and the linked file address is in the note.

Even though it appears to involve a number of steps, I found the flow of doing this is quite effortless because you are working just with two small windows you need to open in any case, one the Explorer window where the file is, and the other the new EN note. Let me know what you think.

CP

• Level 5

I have a theory that if you export that note as a .enex file and look at it in a text editor, the link will contain John%2520Smith instead of the expected John%20Smith. Can you confirm?

Thanks,

Emerick

• Level 5

Pete fixed the bug I mentioned in my previous comment at revision 127686 (available soon). Note that this fix isn't retroactive, unfortunately; you'll need to update manually any existing links that exhibit this problem.

Thanks,

Emerick

helix, you are my hero..

Thanks CP. For years I am waiting that sometime, somebody will say that to me.. B)

I am glad I could be helpful to you. This is what this forum is all about, isn`t it.

I have found a new way of copying the file address to creat a link in XP, without using IE: -------

Let me know what do you think. CP

Well, whatever floats your boat. :? but I still prefer right-clicking "Copy Path to Clipboard", where I get the complete path in one step.

The major point is that we can now make a hyperlink to a file/folder smoothly and fast.

Pete fixed the bug I mentioned in my previous comment at revision 127686 (available soon). -----

Emerick

BTW A new prerelease 4.2.2.3900 is avaiable, probably 127686, so now everyone (Lena and Luckman in particular) can use this feature!

I have found a new way of copying the file address to creat a link in XP, without using IE: -------

Let me know what do you think. CP

Well, whatever floats your boat. :? but I still prefer right-clicking "Copy Path to Clipboard", where I get the complete path in one step.

Absolutely. But I am still using XP and such is not available :(

Perhaps one day EN can have drag and drop to link a file.

CP

Emerick,

Perhaps this feature simply doesn't work for EN in XP -- I'm glad it seems to be working for folks running Win 7.

Just upgraded EN to latest public version (see my sig), and

1. If I type c:\ followed by a space, a hyperlink is created

2. When hover above it with my mouse and my mouse pointer changes to a hand, indicating a hyperlink

3. When I click on the hyperlink NOTHING happens

4. When I look at the hyperlink it's no longer files://c:/ (as in the previous EN version I was running) but merely c:\ . (That makes no difference, however, because the files:// prefix didn't work for me either.)

I KNOW XP *can* do this. For example, if in EPadLite I type file://c:/ , the hyperlink is automatically created and when I click on the link the C:\ folder opens.

If I type the same in EN, the hyperlink is created but the folder doesn't open when I click on the link. To date, the only way I can hyperlink to a folder or a file in EN is to drag its Windows shortcut into the EN window. Which is literally a DRAG! :lol:

Thanks,

lena

Emerick,

To date, the only way I can hyperlink to a folder or a file in EN is to drag its Windows shortcut into the EN window. Which is literally a DRAG! :lol:

Thanks,

lena

Lena, I am trying to understand your post. Does the dragged Windows shortcut into the EN window turn into an attachment? That is what happened to me in XP. But because I am still on free subscription, a popup suggesting upgrade to premium subscription appeard.

Actually I am quite happy with the two-step copying (copy folder first, the appened a copy of the file name) for XP. It has already elevated EN to a higher level of power. I can use EN to manage my Windows data folders and files with all the EN organizing and searching capabilities! :o And by combining with Dropbox where I keep all the folders and files, this is no longer limited by the local drive!

CP

I do this routinely & have multiple machines WAN'd via Hamachi, with universal drive mapping (so if PC13's local target is drive "F" on PC13, it's remote drive "F" mapped to PC10..11..12 etc).

Now the hyperlink drags up the identical file from the original source from any machine.

Windows Live Mesh is slick enough now that I suppose you could effect the same result by having identically-pathed WLM sync'd folders too.

• Level 5
Perhaps this feature simply doesn't work for EN in XP

You're right, there seems to be an issue when clicking links to local files/folders on XP. I've reproduced the problem now; we'll look into it.

Thanks,

Emerick

Lena, I am trying to understand your post. Does the dragged Windows shortcut into the EN window turn into an attachment? That is what happened to me in XP. But because I am still on free subscription, a popup suggesting upgrade to premium subscription appeard.

Yes, CP, that's what happens when I drag. Glad it's working for you!

As for identical paths, Schooner, that's also the way I go. E.g.., on all my computers over the years G: has always been the root folder for my graphics stuff.

Emerick, TIA for investigating.

lena

Yes, CP, that's what happens when I drag. Glad it's working for you!

lena

Lena, with linking works in my XP (for some reason I have no problem at all in EN4.2.1), and with files in dropbox, I see almost no reason to attach files anymore. I do not have to waste real estate, I can work with the files as usual without going through EN, and I can open any file formats in EN. Am I missing something?

CP

• Level 5
there seems to be an issue when clicking links to local files/folders on XP. I've reproduced the problem now; we'll look into it.

Emerick, I'd like to point out that this issue is NOT specific to XP. I am running Win7 x64 and also suffer from this issue.

I'm currently running 4.2.2.3919 (128396).

e.g. I have manually added the following link to an EN note (this is a link to a folder btw):

file:///c:/Windows/winsxs/amd64_msports.inf.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_en-us_64015f894ce7c72a

When clicked from EN, nothing happens. Zilch. Nada.

If I paste this link into the "Start => Run" box, the folder opens correctly. Also works fine from Firefox, Chrome, or IE (both 32- and 64-bit flavors). So this issue is only affecting Evernote.

• Level 5

e.g. I have manually added the following link to an EN note (this is a link to a folder btw):

file:///c:/Windows/winsxs/amd64_msports.inf.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_en-us_64015f894ce7c72a

When clicked from EN, nothing happens. Zilch. Nada.

If I paste this link into the "Start => Run" box, the folder opens correctly. Also works fine from Firefox, Chrome, or IE (both 32- and 64-bit flavors). So this issue is only affecting Evernote.

If you right click on that link and select Hyperlink -> Edit, is the link text in the Address field correct (i.e., no typos)? If you correct a typo in a link in the note editor, it only updates the "visual" component of the link; it doesn't really change the underlying address (you need to update that manually using Hyperlink -> Edit right now). Is that what you're running into here?

Thanks,

Emerick

Hi,

Is there a way to avoid any interpretation or attachment of a link being dropped ?

I would like to add link to local documents or mail (using postbox), maybe holding shift or alt when dropping them.

Best regards,

V. Boudry

PS: Sorry I just noticed this forum was for the windows version, I use the mac version, but that's where I found this thread on link which should be universal.

I have no trouble with hyperlinks to files - the hassle of nailing down the url in the hyperlink dialog box is worth it to get universal filespecs meaningful across networked machines.

For those using a single PC: why not just create/paste a "shortcut" to the doc into EN? Works like a charm.

For those using a single PC: why not just create/paste a "shortcut" to the doc into EN? Works like a charm.

It works but it's a cumbersome three-step process: Need to create the shortcut within Windows Explorer, drag the shortcut into EN, and then delete the shortcut in Explorer.

What I don't get is why the heck the paste path method doesn't work on both my XP machines, when many text processors can do it without a glitch... and even deal well with spaces in a file's path. :?

lena

• Level 5

When you update to revision 129599 or later (note: you may not receive an update until next week), please let me know if it addresses any of the problems that've been mentioned in this thread. We've made a small change to this particular piece of code that may help.

Thanks,

Emerick

I have been hesistant to upgrade to 4.2.2 because of Lena's report of problems. I guess I will wait to hear from her on this next upgrade

For some reason my 4.2.1 produces no problem at all in all my seven PCs of different ages all running XP. I am enjoying the file linking feature using Control-K left and right. :D

But I do want to report that the linking works only for English URL names. I have some files with Chinese names, they do not work.

• Level 5
But I do want to report that the linking works only for English URL names. I have some files with Chinese names, they do not work.

Could you provide one or more sample URLs that don't work? I want to make sure I'm testing this correctly.

Thanks,

Emerick

When you update to revision 129599 or later (note: you may not receive an update until next week), please let me know if it addresses any of the problems that've been mentioned in this thread. We've made a small change to this particular piece of code that may help.

Hi Emerick,

Just upgraded to latest public version -- betas are no longer being offered automatically to my machine, and I no longer see a link to beta on the downloads page. The link to C:\ is still a no go, but 128100 is far behind the 129599 you mentioned. Is there a direct link to a newer beta that I can use?

Thanks,

lena

• Level 5
Just upgraded to latest public version -- betas are no longer being offered automatically to my machine, and I no longer see a link to beta on the downloads page. The link to C:\ is still a no go, but 128100 is far behind the 129599 you mentioned. Is there a direct link to a newer beta that I can use?

I think you'll need to wait for the next official release. It shouldn't be long, but I don't have an exact date.

Thanks,

Emerick

Could you provide one or more sample URLs that don't work? I want to make sure I'm testing this correctly.

Thanks,

Emerick

Sorry, I should not say URL. It is the file links. The files are located on my local PC, and they have Chinese file names. I think you can try any file names in Chinese.

CP

I think you'll need to wait for the next official release. It shouldn't be long, but I don't have an exact date.

Woo Hoo! Just upgraded to 4.3.2.3 (131509) Public, and linking to folders and files on my drive -- running XP -- finally worked. Yes!!! :)

Links to folders:

Hyperlink to F:\@Inbox\My Zinio Library isn't created automatically when I paste it, but it's very easy to paste a folder's path into the box that opens with Ctrl-K (path's already on my clipboard anyway). This is all I need to be able to link to folders. Pasting the entire path into hyperlink box eliminates all issues with spaces breaking links when a path is typed. I'm in business! :):)

Links to files:

F:\@Inbox\Agenda HL LR.doc also opens when I paste the path into the box that opens with Ctrl-K. YES, indeed! :):):)

Now I have a workaround to avoid losing Word files that I drag into EN whose titles are made unsearchable (see http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=23442. I've been linking to files for more than a decade with InfoSelect and MS Office. For me the main capabilities I was looking for in EN are now available, and I can happily get off the fence re. adopting EN or some other program as my Information / Project Management HQ.

Thank you Emerick and Team!!! I'm a very happy camper now!

Woo Hoo! Just upgraded to 4.3.2.3 (131509) Public, and linking to folders and files on my drive -- running XP -- finally worked. Yes!!! :)

Now I have a workaround to avoid losing Word files that I drag into EN whose titles are made unsearchable (see http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=23442. I've been linking to files for more than a decade with InfoSelect and MS Office. For me the main capabilities I was looking for in EN are now available, and I can happily get off the fence re. adopting EN or some other program as my Information / Project Management HQ.

Thank you Emerick and Team!!! I'm a very happy camper now!

Lena

I share the great pleasure as I have enjoyed the linking before with 4.2.1 without problems. I have held back on upgrade because of your reported problems with 4.2.2. Now I can upgrade to 4.3.2.3. Thanks.

I have always felt that it is more advantageous to link rather than to attach. Especialy with a huge and ever increasing number of references in research projects, and other large size files such as ppt. Not only it cuts down on the size of EN data, I often go directly to the Windows folders to edit a file. Linking also works better when an updated file is downloaded. In such case all I have to do is to write over the previous file name.

I hope this verion can allow the Chinese named files be linked, which was not possible before. Will try and report back later.

CP

I hope this version can allow the Chinese named files be linked, which was not possible before. Will try and report back later.

CP

I hope it works for you, CP! The upside of linking files via paths is what you noted; the downside is that whenever I move the file the link breaks, and files aren't automatically synced. I'll be using both techniques, on a case-by-case basis.

lena

I hope this version can allow the Chinese named files be linked, which was not possible before. Will try and report back later.

CP

I hope it works for you, CP! The upside of linking files via paths is what you noted; the downside is that whenever I move the file the link breaks, and files aren't automatically synced. I'll be using both techniques, on a case-by-case basis.

lena

I put all my linked files in Dropbox so they are sync'd, but you are right, if files are moved the link will have to be reestablished.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Lena,

There have been other reports that clicking on file links doesn't work, but I can't reproduce the problem.

Thanks,

Emerick

when i do this in the local desktop version it works.  when i do this is the web version, it does not work.

anybody understand why?

Archived