Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

New Feature Suggestion - Note expiration.

evernote

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 atactic

atactic

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:02 PM

Hello,
I'd like to suggest a new feature - Note expiration.

I've been using Evernote for over 2 years and have several notes. It's been an invaluable resource.

Now that i have so many notes, it's getting harder to search for general items. I find myself wading through notes that should be deleted. I'd like to be able to set an "expiration" time where notes are automatically deleted; or moved to a "dormant" area of Evernote.

I'm sure that I can work around this with specific tags and procedures; but a real feature would work best.

Thanks,
atactic

#2 crane

crane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:22 PM

If I recall correctly, this was requested years ago, and denied.

It's very feasible to do this with a tag and a saved search. For instance, set up a tag called "expired". Set up a saved search that finds notes created more than 2 years ago, that have this tag. Every now and then, look at the results of the saved search and delete those notes return.

This assumes that you would tag notes that should be deleted after a certain time. If you think all notes over 2 years old should be deleted, skip the tag part and just delete anything returned by a saved search for 2 year old notes.
Grand Mistress of EverNote ;)

#3 jfkaess

jfkaess

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:55 PM

I can see how this feature would be really helpful, and why the suggested search couldn't.

Just a few examples:

I get my social security benefits update once a year
My auto insurance policy changes every six months
I can get rid of tax stuff after three years
Cell phone contracts are up every two years

There are many more examples.

Setting an automatic epiration daye hat could automatically move notes to an "expired" notebook would be very useful.

premium user since 2010

#4 FactMan

FactMan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 514 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:09 AM

How would EN know what archiving date to set on each of those types of notes? I hate the auto archiving function that Outlook has, and I would hate that function in EN. I can sort my notes by date created, or filter those created before date x, so why do I need some program telling me that it will delete or archive all my notes that are older than some arbitrary date? No thank you!

#5 jfkaess

jfkaess

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:18 AM

You are completely missing the point. Each note could have an optional field that could be set with an expiration date and on that date it could be automatically moved to an expired notebook which a user would review and delete stuff from as needed.

Any system that would automatically archive all notes older than a certain amount (say 6 months or one year), the way outlook does, would be of no use to an Evernote user.

premium user since 2010

#6 lwilde

lwilde

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:00 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, I will be sure to pass it along to our product development team for discussion.

#7 atactic

atactic

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for considering this. And to jfkaess for making the case for it.

atactic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote