TIP: Automatic filtering, tagging and filing of e-mailed notes

skellam

Hi,

I just wanted to share a useful little workflow that I found recently. I have been looking for a way to do this for over a year and finally found a service that was able to provide the needed functionality. I am posting it here in case anyone has been looking for something similar.

As everyone does, I get a lot of e-mail everyday from a variety of sources. I have always wanted to be able to take some of the email that I receive on a regular basis and send it automatically to my Evernote account in to the appropriate notebook and along with useful tagging information. Since Evernote made the '@' and '#' labels for the subject line available, it has been possible to do this manually by simply clicking the message and forwarding it after changing the subject line appropriately. What I usually ended up doing was making a Gmail filter and sending the the various types of email automatically in to Evernote in to a generic Inbox notebook. After a day or two, I would go to my Evernote account and manually move the email to the correct notebook and add tagging information.

Recently, I found a service called Tarpipe (tarpipe.com) that makes this process a lot easier. Tarpipe sets up a workflow that will process incoming e-mail and change the Subject line in any way that you choose and then forward it on to another e-mail address. So, for example, you have a newsletter that you get each week and you would like to save in Evernote. If you use Gmail, you go to the 'Create Filter' dialog and set up a filter that selects this email from your incoming e-mail.

post-26064-131906071469_thumb.png

Then, you set up Gmail to forward this e-mail to Tarpipe at a specified incoming e-mail address that you set up for this filter. Tarpipe can then take this e-mail and add additional information to the Subject line such as @Notebook and #tag #tag #tag. When this processing is complete, Tarpipe takes the finished e-mail and forwards it on to your incoming Evernote e-mail address. Here is how the setup looks using Tarpipe's visual editor.

post-26064-131906071472_thumb.png

I admit that it is a bit of a pain to set this up in this way. Once you get it set up, however, it takes all the effort out of forwarding and processing your routine email. You can set up a workflow for Amazon receipts, UPS shipping confirmations, or just about anything you can make a Gmail filter for. The downside is that it is a subscription service, but if you use email forwarding to Evernote a lot than it may be worth it.

I put the workflow in to the 'public' area on tarpipe.com labeled as 'Email to Evernote Tagging/Notebook Interface' so you can clone it if you want to and use it for yourself.

This combination of Gmail filters and Tarpipe is something that people should really take the time to check out! If you're not a Gmail user, there are other ways to achieve the same result (I've also been doing stuff like this on the Mac with Mail.app's "Mail Rules" and some AppleScript).

The important conceptual thing to grab ahold of here is that, with a little forethought, Evernote users can set up a system that automatically files and tags a lot of stuff for you -- and keeps your inbox cleaner for you at the same time.

Sounds pretty awesome to me! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I am just updating this topic to let you know that I no longer recommend Tarpipe as a viable alternative. The application development has stalled and the lead developer recently downgraded an account that I had paid for without explanation. After several days of bouncing e-mails, he finally told me that he was not ignoring my requests but hadn't got around to fixing it yet. It's a week later and still the system is broken. The cost structure of Tarpipe was always a bit ludicrous anyway. To make it useful, you need the 'Max' account which is $15 a month.

Anyway, when I disabled tarpipe, I realized how much that I loved having all my routine e-mail forwarded and automatically tagged and placed in the right folder. I was so accustomed to having this that it was hard to go back to doing it manually. I have looked around and I still haven't been able to find any other services that provide the necessary functionality of altering the incoming e-mail's subject line.

So, I am still hoping that Evernote sometime implements this functionality. Maybe multiple incoming e-mail addresses to Evernote that you can pre-define with Notebook and Tagging information?

Until then, the only way I could find to do this was to set up a linux box with procmail, fetchmail and sendmail that scans my gmail account and forwards the email to Evernote based on matching rules. Actually it is far more flexible and works much better than tarpipe ever did. I have several recipes for procmail that will scan and replace the subject line of incoming email with the Evernote notebook and tagging information if anyone is ever interested in giving this a try.

Steve

• 3 months later...

Steve, After reading the top of this post I created a Tarpipe account only to find it was a bad move. Then I saw you had disabled your account. I created my Tarpipe account using my Google openID but there appears no way to cancel the account. Poor form on Tarpipe's behalf.

Can you please tell me how you disabled your tarpipe account?

Allan

Steve, After reading the top of this post I created a Tarpipe account only to find it was a bad move. Then I saw you had disabled your account. I created my Tarpipe account using my Google openID but there appears no way to cancel the account. Poor form on Tarpipe's behalf.

Can you please tell me how you disabled your tarpipe account?

Allan

I couldn't find a way to delete my account either which I agree is bad form. I just went to account settings and changed all my information to meaningless text.

Steve

• 2 months later...

I think that you all might find a better ( or at least easier ) solution is ifttt.com. The sight is pretty poorly documented but easy enough to figure out. Its free and a rule can easily be created that will take any email labled or from an address and send it over to any notebook with any combination of tags you desire. If you want to look on ifttt.com, I have shared a "recipe" called

Emails from X forwarded into a specific notebook in Evernote

• 2 months later...

I think that you all might find a better ( or at least easier ) solution is ifttt.com. The sight is pretty poorly documented but easy enough to figure out. Its free and a rule can easily be created that will take any email labled or from an address and send it over to any notebook with any combination of tags you desire. If you want to look on ifttt.com, I have shared a "recipe" called

Yeah but sadly, all it ever contains in the body of the newly created note is plain text from your email body....

• Level 5*

Yeah but sadly, all it ever contains in the body of the newly created note is plain text from your email body....

It also does not include the full text of long messages. I like the concept, but in practice it has significant limitations.

It also does not include the full text of long messages. I like the concept, but in practice it has significant limitations.

Very true....Ifttt's functionality does deliver what I was trying to implement but their "plain-text only-no-formatting" idea screwed it all up. So I decided to give another similar service called "Zapier" a try, in order to implement this automated tagging process...

It's plus point was that it allows attachments from the e-mail to be included in your newly created note in Evernote. Something which couldn't be done in Ifttt. But in the end, turns out, both of them are no good because for me, no formatting = absolutely no use!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with Yoxel! I have tried InQloud and it has made my workflow so much more efficient and smooth! I am simply loving this service!

Earlier I tried ifttt and zapier and what not! And to be honest, nothing ever worked fine! Something or the other didn't seem function properly. Until I read in one of the posts in Evernote forum about InQloud.

If you are looking to have your incoming emails reach a particular notebook and you even want them tagged automatically - attachments and all - then - you need not look any further! You have my word! It's the perfect solution! And I am soooo relieved after having come across this service! And the best part is that it works flawlessly! Mails go in the notebooks they are supposed to go with that Tags that I mention. It is sooo amazing that I am planning on buying it's annual subscription once my 30 day trial period is over! I am never looking back again! Thanks InQloud! Honestly speaking, I can't recommend this enough! You just have to try this out! :)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The problem with gmail forwarding to different email addresses is you have to authorize each one, which is a pain if you have lots of forwarding addresses.

Therefore I use a script that runs on gmail similar to the one used by dpbklyn

Basically you set up labels in gmail that have the same names as your tags or notebooks in evernote, and this script handles the rest.  No email forwarding address necessary :)

More info available here:

http://lifehacker.com/5965506/automatically-send-tagged-emails-in-gmail-to-evernote

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Dezgo, I am glad you like it.

My company, YOXEL, LLC is the creator of the InQloud service.

-Alexey

I was able to figure it out and it seems to be working great. Inqloud isn't quite clear on what it does for the end-user. 

My only problem now is that my outlook isn't automatically forwarding my messages to the aliases I created.

• 2 years later...

Archived