(Archived) Highlight text? Subfolders?

cjc182

Idea

11 replies to this idea

is it possible to create sub folders in Evernote?

Not sub folders per-se but you can create "stacks" which for most people are a close second. Search the forums for more detail.

no, they are not a close second and I'm not sure why EN went this way at all. why would you try to recreate a users flow by using something as silly as stacks. not only do they not show up across devices, don't hold content, but they really don't even act like folders.

burgersandfries

well, TWICE you really haven't answered my question. I'm posting in different places so I can get a logical answer to my question. So, from your response, it would seem that this is only really available on Windows clients across the board. I have stacks on the Mac , but they are simply not functional across different devices, so they become moot. They don't act like 'folders' nor do they act like 'stacks' ( which is really a photo-app term misused in this case ). On the iPhone and iPad they have no function at all - meaning they don't even show up.

I guess, working in technology, I assumed that you would beta a feature across available hardware and platforms before releasing it, not just piece-meal it on different devices.

I like Evernote as well, I just wish they would user-test some of their main functionality before releasing it.

• Level 5*
burgersandfrieswell, TWICE you really haven't answered my question. I'm posting in different places so I can get a logical answer to my question. So, from your response, it would seem that this is only really available on Windows clients across the board. I have stacks on the Mac , but they are simply not functional across different devices, so they become moot. They don't act like 'folders' nor do they act like 'stacks' ( which is really a photo-app term misused in this case ). On the iPhone and iPad they have no function at all - meaning they don't even show up. I guess, working in technology, I assumed that you would beta a feature across available hardware and platforms before releasing it, not just piece-meal it on different devices. I like Evernote as well, I just wish they would user-test some of their main functionality before releasing it.

Not sure what your actual question is. Do you want to know why Stacks were implemented the way that are? OK, it's because with a max of 100 notebooks (250 now, I think), it's unwieldy to manage that many notebooks in a simple list, so Stacks are just a way to add some organizational structure to a flat list.

Or is your question about the reason they're not available on all devices? OK then, the different clients are done by independent teams, and they advance on their own schedules. Stacks will most likely appear on all supported clients eventually. It's not a matter of beta testing, since you can't beta test a feature that hasn't been implemented yet.

Or are you asking why the word 'Stacks'? It's just a word that has a lot of usage in the world of computers, sometimes different in different contexts (e.g. the computer stack data structure has a specific meaning to a developer). One important thing: using 'stack' is good because it's not 'folder', and these are not really folder-like in the sense that we use folders in a file system. Yes, that's right: stacks are not folders, and no-one's pretending that they are.

~Jeff

I guess, working in technology, I assumed that you would beta a feature across available hardware and platforms before releasing it, not just piece-meal it on different devices.

I guesss this falls under "damned if you do & damned if you don't" category. Stacks & notebook sharing are two features that currently are limited to only a couple of clients with the intention of having them available on all clients. Someday. Yes, these features could have been held back until functioning on all devices. But then there would be some people saying that they need the feature badly enough they are willing to work with the constraints. So either way, I guess, there will be people criticizing EN for the decision they made. It does make sense to have limited roll outs. That way, if users encounter problems (whether they are hardware/software related or simply usability), the developers can more easily roll with that & incorporate any required changes in other clients. This is not to put the EN team down. Because, working in technology, I'm sure you're aware that rolling an app out (especially one as intricate as Evernote) means there will be always be problems. Testing in limited conditions can not replicate the real life usage of hundreds/thousands/millions of users of various computer skill levels on a variety of configurations.

understood - i appreciate the reply.

I think my zeal, is that I really love EN and have ported most of my cloud info over, only to be constantly tripping over things that frustrate me. It was interesting to me that you said completely different teams are working in tandem. Perhaps a few more 'integration scrums ' ? Let me give you a perfect example - I've posted this confusion about 'Favorites'. This is a great idea, but for me it's not 'reality tested', i.e. what I would need in the field is the ability to 'star' my 'favorites' ( whether stacks or notebooks or individual notes ) so I could have a 'quicklist' of my most used notes. Presently the only way you can 'favorite something' is to go down to the note level on your iPhone. There is no menu item or mention of it on the desktop app, nor reference that I could find on the forums or EN site whatsoever. That's just one example of the kind of things that could be /IMO should be hammered out before a release, otherwise it's simply frustrating.

Don't get me wrong here, please, I do this for a living so I can be a bit user-centric. I really want to love your product - it's just a bit prickly right now.

Let me give you a perfect example - I've posted this confusion about 'Favorites'. This is a great idea, but for me it's not 'reality tested', i.e. what I would need in the field is the ability to 'star' my 'favorites' ( whether stacks or notebooks or individual notes ) so I could have a 'quicklist' of my most used notes. Presently the only way you can 'favorite something' is to go down to the note level on your iPhone. There is no menu item or mention of it on the desktop app, nor reference that I could find on the forums or EN site whatsoever. That's just one example of the kind of things that could be /IMO should be hammered out before a release,

It's also very easy to armchair quarterback these things. It appears iPhone Favorites were a quick fix (so that people could have notes stored locally, so they are available, even if they don't have an internet connection.) It also tided people over until EN got the offline notebooks functionality fully implemented. FWIW, iPad apparently doesn't have "favorites" so this is an example (IMO) of trying to make a quick fix to help users & this one was not a good call. And they probably knew that...but it was a way to resolve an immediate problem. It may even be something they would do the same way, if they had a do-over b/c it did give local notes to iPhone/iPod Touch users a year or two before offline notes were able to be implemented. Hindsight is always 20/20.

• Level 5*
I really want to love your product - it's just a bit prickly right now.

Just to be clear -- neither BurgersNFries nor I actually work forEvernote. We're just fans, and they let us wear the Evernote sailor suits...

~Jeff

If you have created a stack of normal (synchronized) notebooks on one of your computers, and then synchronized that to the service, then when you sync on a second computer, you should see the same stacks as long as you are using the *latest* version of both the Mac and Windows clients.

If that isn't working, then it would be helpful to get more details via a support inquiry at the bottom of:

http://www.evernote.com/about/contact/support/

Thanks

Archived