(Archived) New feature request - Auto delete option on notes

Evernote peeps,

Just a thought, but for future versions, it would be very nice to have an auto delete feature based on date. Against a note, to be able to select a date and when the date is reached, the note is deleted. Some notes you only need to keep for a while (copy of email receipts, payment receipts which are really only valid for a year, copies of contracts only valid for a year, etc) - good to have them auto archive.

Keeps our note collections nice and tidy, and keeps your disk a little less full

what do you think?!?

Jaffa

Keeps our note collections nice and tidy, and keeps your disk a little less full

what do you think?!?

I think my note collection is fine & disk is cheap. :lol:

I probably only delete ~5% of the stuff I put into Evernote.

Remember EVERYTHING!

Since EN's stance is to never change or lose your data, I would guess an auto delete simply won't happen.

rather an auto-delete, how about an alarm?

OR...you could us a tag, say, "Temporary" that you assign to notes you'll want to purge later & add the date it's ok to delete in the title. Periodially, search on the tag "Temporary", check the dates & manually delete. There are several ways to implement this currently. IE, put the delete date in YYYYMMDD format & if you are ready to delete notes that were ok to delete in October 2010, search on:

201010 tag:"temporary"

And all the notes would be displayed. Or you could use the date created attribute. Due dates will be implemented in the future & would be another field that could be used in this regard.

If you wanted to find all of the notes that are more than 365 days old, you could search for this:

-created:day-365

If you saved this to a Saved Search, you could run it whenever you want to see a list of all such notes.

Then you can select them all and delete them if you like.

I think that such a saved search would be preferable to any automated "deleter" to avoid catastrophic accidents.

Auto-delete would require some form of up-front processing on the part of the user, who has to decide a year before the note goes away wether he'll want the note to auto-delete. I'd say it's safest to tag notes you think are disposable and view them in tag view every so often sorted by date created.

Archived