Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Web

Problem with tags in shared notebooks

evernote

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 caitkennedy

caitkennedy

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:37 AM

My husband and I have a shared notebook that he created and in which he is able to create tags but I am not. I can add them to a note but when the same note is reopened, the tag is gone.
Is there a reason for this or is it a bug? (He is a premium user, I am not.)

TIA,

Caitlan

#2 engberg

engberg

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 12,536 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:22 PM

Guests can only add tags to a note if those tags are already part of that shared notebook. I.e. the tag must already be applied to at least one of the other notes in that notebook. This is to prevent a guest from polluting your account with dozens of tags that you need to find and delete on the left side.

- Dave Engberg (Evernote)

#3 caitkennedy

caitkennedy

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:14 AM

Thanks! That was the answer I was looking for. It doesn't solve the problem, but it makes sense.

#4 sbliven

sbliven

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:55 PM

@engberg

Is that the official response, or just a description of the current behavior? This seems like a major limitation to me. As a premium user, if I grant someone access to a notebook I expect them to make changes to it responsibly. After all, they clearly have the power to "pollute" my notebook with new notes and content.

Tags should be editable by anyone with write access to the note. I consider any other behavior to be a bug.

#5 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,779 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:56 AM

Is that the official response, or just a description of the current behavior?

That's the official response -- Dave is the CTO of Evernote. It's by design, so maybe a bug by your definition, but...
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#6 caitkennedy

caitkennedy

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:53 AM

Tags should be editable by anyone with write access to the note. I consider any other behavior to be a bug.

I have to agree with sbliven: this is becoming more and more of an issue and needs to be reconsidered. It should at least be an option to grant permission to tag in shared notebooks.

#7 nvanmatre

nvanmatre

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:31 PM

I also agree with sbliven. If this is a decision based on performance or some other technical issue then... if not then it is extremely limiting to premier users. Really makes sharing notebooks in a team environment clunky and almost unusable :(.

#8 engberg

engberg

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • 12,536 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

You can apply existing tags (i.e. tags that the owner has already applied to at least one note in that notebook). If you want to make a big pool of tags available to your "guests", then just use that tag on one or more notes.

- Dave Engberg (Evernote)

#9 trebbr

trebbr

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:35 PM

A bigger problem for me is that the tags in the shared notebook lose their hierarchy (they appear in a giant, alphabetical one-level list).

I've been presuming this a bug or something which will be implemented soon....?

#10 sbliven

sbliven

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:25 PM

I've taken to "tagging" notes in shared notebooks by simply including a line in the note body like
Tags: tag1, tag2, ...

This way I can at least search for tags, even if they don't show up in the left panel.

#11 andrzej

andrzej

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:17 PM

Hi,

I use Evernote for almost 2 years now and I'm loving it!

Today I tried to use the shared notebook concept in order to use Evernote in our team. The idea is that any of our team members can create new projects (we use tags as project names).

You can apply existing tags (i.e. tags that the owner has already applied to at least one note in that notebook). If you want to make a big pool of tags available to your "guests", then just use that tag on one or more notes.

This seems to be a serious limitation for us. Is there any other way we can share the same workflow without anyone depending on the notebook owner to create a new tag?

Regards,
Andrzej

#12 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Evernote Geek
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:04 PM

No, but, the current situation is not all bad.

Assuming that there are a limited number of project identifiers and qualifiers that are valid as tags, then, having that explicitly limited is a way to prevent bad data entry.

I use a limited number of high level tags but feel free to add keywords as needed to note titles or bodies to ensure that I can find a specific note in the future. The biggest mistake I made when I started to use Evernote was to continue the extensive tagging practices that I had developed as a long term Delicious user. The aha moment came when I started to see notes found in search results because they contained the text I was looking for in the content.

My 2cents.
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)
Windows 7 SP1 & XP SP3 (EN 4.5.8.7356)
iPod Touch 2G (iOS 4.2.1, EN 4.1.9) / Blackberry Playbook (OS 2.0.1, EN 1.3)
Latest stable browsers & clippers(Chrome(default), Firefox, IE8/9)

#13 andrzej

andrzej

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:00 AM

No, but, the current situation is not all bad.

I use a limited number of high level tags but feel free to add keywords as needed to note titles or bodies to ensure that I can find a specific note in the future. The biggest mistake I made when I started to use Evernote was to continue the extensive tagging practices that I had developed as a long term Delicious user. The aha moment came when I started to see notes found in search results because they contained the text I was looking for in the content.

Right, it makes sense to use search instead... I will think about it.

I got used to tags for project names so that I can quickly filter notes based on that. Just 2 clicks and I can see what I need.

What surprises me most is that in all the other places Evernote just gives me a very flexible tool and I can tweak the way I use it. That's how I apply GTD with Evernote. Here, this limitation doesn't make sense - just let me decide what I want, as always.

BTW, Evernote is awesome ;)

Regards,
Andrzej

#14 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:19 AM

You can still use project tags. You just need an efficient and timely way to handle new projects.

e.g. You could create a tag "NewProject" which could be used pending assigning the actual project code.

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)

#15 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:35 AM

PS: Adding external tagging is probably a non-trivial technical problem for Evernote. Each tag has a uid (unique identifier) in the user database which shares the notebook. The current limitation ensures that any tags assigned by linked users have a valid uid in the original database.

Premium User

#16 gregorioandador

gregorioandador

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:52 PM

Sorry I really don't understand the logic behind not allowing non-owners of shared notebooks to add tags when the user is given the rights to modify. I could see an additional level of allowing/disallowing tag updates.
Allowing these changes is the point of collaboration. When sharing with modification rights to other users a notebook no longer really belongs to any one user though on the technical side it certainly does.
Not allowing updates to tags is very limiting in a collabortion setting where from the users perspective ownership does not matter. The user should not have to contact the owner of the folder to add a tag for them. The beauty of tags is that they don't have to be known in advance. Asking the owner to add tags in advance is not a solution.
PLEASE reconsider your position on this feature.
Thank you!

#17 jbignert

jbignert

• Title: Browncoat
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for the feedback. We will consider this in the future.

#18 Heleneofk

Heleneofk

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:32 PM

A bigger problem for me is that the tags in the shared notebook lose their hierarchy (they appear in a giant, alphabetical one-level list).

I've been presuming this a bug or something which will be implemented soon....?

In my case the tags do not appear at all on the left side in shared notebooks. Anyone else with the same problem?

#19 TravelWriterEditorGuy

TravelWriterEditorGuy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

I know this thread is kind of dormant, but put me down for an extra-large order of Editable Tags by Shared Notebook Users. I am running an Evernote group for my writing team and the ability for them to create tags would make things much easier for all of us. I don't quite get the rationale stated above; I'd rather occasionally winnow out redundant tags than have to create all of them myself.

#20 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

I know this thread is kind of dormant, but put me down for an extra-large order of Editable Tags by Shared Notebook Users. I am running an Evernote group for my writing team and the ability for them to create tags would make things much easier for all of us. I don't quite get the rationale stated above; I'd rather occasionally winnow out redundant tags than have to create all of them myself.

The technical reasons for the limitation are unlikely to change soon.

Best current workaround is to develop procedures whereby the owner of the shared notebook (I assume that is yourself) can quickly honour requests for new tags.

An alternative is to use keywords in the note title or body. This avoids the whole tag issue completely.

Premium User

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: web, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote