Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
iOS

A server with the specified hostname could not be found

evernote

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 angelab9

angelab9

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:58 AM

When I try to open a note on my phone I get the message that the server with the specified hostname could not be found..can anyone help me?

Thanks

#2 engberg

engberg

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 12,536 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:07 AM

Have you installed any "jailbreak" software on your device? We've only seen this error in a few limited cases where a particular jailbreak package broken the networking interface on the device.

- Dave Engberg (Evernote)

#3 444nuova

444nuova

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:35 PM

I have the exact same problem as angelab9. Yes, I have a jailbroken iphone. Do you know the name of the package that is causing the problem?? And will this problem be solved in future updates of evernote?

#4 engberg

engberg

• 12,536 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:25 AM

No, I don't know which jailbreak software causes this particular corruption of the iPhone networking stack. Since there are a lot more ways that they can break the operating system than we can work around, we only support unbroken devices.

#5 garythebee

garythebee

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:17 PM

I have had this same "a server with the specified host name could not be found" problem many times with my I-touch. I have not been able to use any texting apps. I do not even know what "Jailbreak" refers to.

#6 starforever

starforever

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:25 PM

Hi, I'm having the exact same issue on the iPhone version app.
I'm not sure if it's really due to the jailbreak, since all other apps run without any problems.
And this problem only occurs when I'm using a WiFi connection, when I switched to use an EDGE connection, the notes will be loaded correctly.

Does this has anything to do with the DNS server of the WiFi provider?
I recalled that previously I'm not having this issue in another place.

#7 engberg

engberg

• 12,536 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:54 PM

Yes, that sounds like a DNS problem, although it can also happen with a jailbreak on a device. Our application connects to "www.evernote.com", but it also connects to itself via "localhost".
Several jailbreaks corrupt the phone's ability to resolve "localhost" back to itself, which can lead to this issue.

#8 starforever

starforever

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:01 AM

well, I think I've found the reason.
In etc/hosts, there's a record: 127.0.0.1 purchase.malcolmhall.com
seems this is the website of the author of the insomnia

#9 starforever

starforever

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:36 AM

I finally resolve the problem by adding the following record in etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
hope this may help people with same issue

#10 engberg

engberg

• 12,536 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:57 PM

Yes, Insomnia is an example of something that would be used on a jailbroken device, which corrupts part of the operating system that we rely on.

#11 Mannycastaneda

Mannycastaneda

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:11 AM

I'm getting the same error - no jailbreak on my phone. It happens to all notes. The only way around it is to set all notebooks to offline mode. I've been using the iPhone client for a year - this started happening last week.

#12 humteri

humteri

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

I go this for the first time today--no jailbreak on my iphone and this is a page I open all the time from my iphone.  "A server with the specific list name could not be found"  Have iphone 4S, running iOS 6.1.3

This is a reference page I really need and need to be able to sync between devices so I have the latest version.  What is the fix?

#13 mamanana

mamanana

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:10 AM

I get a message on my iPhone that says file not supported by this devise! How do I open my notes?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ios, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote