Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

Syncronization failed could not connect to evernote server

evernote

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 CadErik

CadErik

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:28 AM

On Vista, after resuming from standby or hibernation if I had left evernote running, it is quite likely that evernote will be sucking 100% of CPU resources (strangely, this is not user time but system time). I believe it is trying to synchronize... Since this is not user time but system time, I suspect somekind of graphical bug with the notification icon.

#2 Toodle

Toodle

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:02 PM

I have also noticed that Evernote sometimes has trouble (max cpu usage being once symptom) if left open while Vista sleeps.

Sorry I can't be more specific yet - I'll try to come up with more details as time goes by.

#3 _G_

_G_

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:16 PM

+1

still happening for me consistently on my laptop with win2003 when it comes out of standby. what's most annoying is that the process can't be killed, so when this happens I need to reboot.

any idea when it'll be fixed? thanks!

#4 qtoaster

qtoaster

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:54 AM

Seeing as you are on Vista you could use the Windows Performance Toolkit to get some more information if you are technically inclined...
http://blogs.msdn.co... ... xperf.aspx

It is nice to know that other people are having issues with high system cpu as well, I was suspecting it was because I had a relatively old video card (and a reasonably old cpu paired with it)
See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6282&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a as well

#5 Stefan

Stefan

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:44 PM

Since this is not user time but system time, I suspect somekind of graphical bug with the notification icon.

IMHO this is unlikely a graphical bug but a problem with the network. The problem most applications don't handle well is that as soon as the OS returns from hybernation/sleep, the network is not ready yet. Especially if you're 'connected' via a wireless card. But of course, the applications start running immediately without realizing that the network is not ready yet.

My advice to all application developers is: after returning from hybernation, set a timeout of about one minute before you do any automatic networking stuff.

#6 hooktonnfonnix

hooktonnfonnix

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:09 AM

I have the same problem after resuming from standby and hibernation with Windows XP. (90-100% CPU, unable to force-quit Evernote through task manager)

Here is the displayed error message in the top left of my screen, if this helps anyone:
"Synchonization Error
17:38 0% TException: Can't send HTTP request, error: INTERNET_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED"

Any solutions/workarounds at this point?

#7 qtoaster

qtoaster

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:39 PM

You could try capturing some information about the issue with kernrate as that will help highlight where the problem is happening (assuming that it is a system CPU issue and not a user process CPU issue). Apparently the XP 32bit version of kernrate works on Vista without any issues

If you are not comfortable running programs from a cmd prompt I wouldn't suggest doing this
You may also need to run kernrate with elevated privileges on Vista (I haven't tried using it there)

If you are, then get kernrate from Microsoft at http://www.microsoft... ... rview.mspx
Install the package, then run it from a command prompt and collect the output into a file
Share the information on the forum if you like or send it to Evernote support and see if it helps them get any further

If the problem is easily reproducable the Evernote staff will have already diagnosed the issue from the problem reports so far so going to all this trouble would be wasted

If you wish to go ahead and collect the extra information either just because you are curious or you want to pass it on to Evernote to see if it helps them

Get a cmd prompt and navigate to the directory where kernrate is installed and run the 32bit or 64bit version as appropriate for your installation

In order to get meaningful information for the names you need a symbol path set (on my XP installation c:\Windows\Symbols is an appropriate path)
In the cmd window
set _NT_SYMBOL_PATH=SRV*C:\Windows\Symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

In my case for a 32bit XP the appropriate executable for kernrate was "C:\Program Files\KrView\Kernrates\Kernrate_i386_XP.exe"

The parameters I used for Kernrate for the first collection pass were to collect data for 60 seconds, and to look at Evernote specifically (by name)
Also to show all the processes running (-t) and to show locking information with a threshold of 100 and to exclude items that had less than 20 calls from the output
"C:\Program Files\KrView\Kernrates\Kernrate_i386_XP.exe" -ns Evernote.exe -a -s 60 -t -x# 100 -k 20 > evernote_high_cpu-file1.txt

For the second pass, after I had seen that win32k was high in the list of kernel modules consuming CPU resources (in "Results for Kernel Mode:" table)
So I added a "-z win32k" to zoom in on that module and give more details (in the hope that it might be more obvious what components were being called)
"C:\Program Files\KrView\Kernrates\Kernrate_i386_XP.exe" -z win32k -ns Evernote.exe -a -s 60 -t -x# 100 -k 20 > evernote_high_cpu-file2.txt

In my case I made a third pass as well and added "-z comctl32" as I had also used Process Explorer and noticed that comctl32 was in the stack and I wanted to make sure that the process was stuck in the kernel. I did this so I could double check that the 0.00 user time of the Evernote process really did mean that the Evernote program had not done anything and was waiting on the kernel to return.
"C:\Program Files\KrView\Kernrates\Kernrate_i386_XP.exe" -z win32k -ns Evernote.exe -z comctl32 -a -s 60 -t -x# 100 -k 20 > evernote_high_cpu-file3.txt

The information may not mean very much but if you just ran the very first kernrate that I gave above, you might get an indication of where the process is spending its time

#8 mcapehart

mcapehart

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:30 PM

I started getting this problem today...first time ever for v3. I resumed from hibernation first, got the problem, so I rebooted. After reboot, still have the same problem. Frustrating!! The most frustrating part is the inability to kill the process.

Vista 32 Business Ed.
-Michael

#9 CadErik

CadErik

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:58 PM

If the problem is easily reproducable the Evernote staff will have already diagnosed the issue from the problem reports so far so going to all this trouble would be wasted

It's impossible to know what their opinion is on this topic. I'm not planning to install symbols and other diagnostic tools (not sure many other users will) just for debugging evernote. If they need help on this, they can ask.

#10 engberg

engberg

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 12,536 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:27 PM

We appreciate the information, and are trying to reproduce this problem. (I'm running on Vista right now, and don't see this problem after coming out of suspend.)

We appreciate any other configuration information you can provide.

Thanks

- Dave Engberg (Evernote)

#11 CadErik

CadErik

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:30 PM

We appreciate the information, and are trying to reproduce this problem. (I'm running on Vista right now, and don't see this problem after coming out of suspend.)

Thanks

On the latests versions, it doesn't happen all the time... I suspect somekind of timing between the time you suspend and when ev needs to synchronize. Thanks for looking into the issue!

Erik.

#12 CadErik

CadErik

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:27 AM

Thanks

Ok I captured a stack trace when evernote crashes using process explorer. I don't know if that's any help...

Attached File  stack_evernote_crash.png   64.59KB   435 downloads

Erik.

#13 engberg

engberg

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • 12,536 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:42 AM

Passed along to Engineering, thanks.

- Dave Engberg (Evernote)

#14 iafanasyev

iafanasyev

• Title: Browncoat
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:57 PM

We indeed suspect this to be a networking problem when trying to access network using WinInet library (which we use) right after the system wake up.

Meanwhile, if you experience the problem, try to turn off automatic synchronization (in Account > Properties) and turn off automatic checks for program updates (in Tools > Options) and live with such setup for a day or so, putting the computer in a suspend mode and back. Then report if the problem persists or not.

#15 rothlis

rothlis

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:18 PM

This is still not fixed; twice in the last couple of days it has happened to me -- I come back from suspend, and Evernote consumes 100% of one core (I have a dual core laptop). I have to force kill evernote.exe, and even then it that takes a good minute to take effect. What's worse is that the recent release of Evernote now essentially runs all the time. I have to explicitly go to the Application menu and select Exit; clicking on the X button in the upper right corner just minimises Evernote to the tray. Please give me options, don't *force* me into a single way of operating. I don't want the clipper running all the time, it is far too basic and buggy to be of any use to me.

And while I'm here ranting, caps-Lock twice is a terrible idea for a keyboard shortcut. By about 15 minutes after I'd installed the updated version of Evernote I'd already disabled that shortcut. There can't be any real world testing being performed on these releases with glaringly obvious issues like this in what is theoretically a minor update. Please, fix the existing bugs before implementing new features!

I really want to love Evernote, and I ADORE it in principle, but man the bugs are starting to get to me.

Sorry for the tone of the email, I just feel frustrated that I've managed to get myself hooked on a concept with such patchy execution (some things are really good), no visible improvement in terms of bug fixes (none of the ones that affect me anyway), and to top it all off, the company seems to spend an inordinate amount of time promoting Evernote (fair enough) when I would love it if that time and effort was spent fixing bugs.

At the end of the day I'm "just a user" so perhaps you don't care, but I hope you will take my post as genuine feedback.

#16 iafanasyev

iafanasyev

• 1,081 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:02 PM

This is still not fixed; twice in the last couple of days it has happened to me -- I come back from suspend, and Evernote consumes 100% of one core (I have a dual core laptop). I have to force kill evernote.exe, and even then it that takes a good minute to take effect. What's worse is that the recent release of Evernote now essentially runs all the time. I have to explicitly go to the Application menu and select Exit; clicking on the X button in the upper right corner just minimises Evernote to the tray. Please give me options, don't *force* me into a single way of operating. I don't want the clipper running all the time, it is far too basic and buggy to be of any use to me.

And while I'm here ranting, caps-Lock twice is a terrible idea for a keyboard shortcut. By about 15 minutes after I'd installed the updated version of Evernote I'd already disabled that shortcut. There can't be any real world testing being performed on these releases with glaringly obvious issues like this in what is theoretically a minor update. Please, fix the existing bugs before implementing new features!

I really want to love Evernote, and I ADORE it in principle, but man the bugs are starting to get to me.

Sorry for the tone of the email, I just feel frustrated that I've managed to get myself hooked on a concept with such patchy execution (some things are really good), no visible improvement in terms of bug fixes (none of the ones that affect me anyway), and to top it all off, the company seems to spend an inordinate amount of time promoting Evernote (fair enough) when I would love it if that time and effort was spent fixing bugs.

At the end of the day I'm "just a user" so perhaps you don't care, but I hope you will take my post as genuine feedback.

About bugs:

We know about the issue with high CPU usage after resuming from standby/hibernate. We are trying our best to nail this down. If this was easily reproducible on our side, we would just fix the problem. The problem is not reproducible in our labs, unfortunately, which makes fixing this a hard task. You say 'fix bugs and then implement features'. If we would do this literally, then we would just hold any activity and would not improve the application just because we have this nasty bug. This could last for weeks -- nobody knows -- and holding off new features would not help track this problem down.

Now, about features:

If you do not like the "caps caps" shortcut, you can change it easily (this is what you did already). For me, this is the easiest shortcut possible which doesn't interfere with my normal usage of Caps Lock feature: this is a big key which is easy to press even with the single little finger, which is close to 'A' key (when you press Ctrl+A to select all content in a window and then "caps caps" to clip the selection). For some users this doesn't work for a number of reasons -- that's fine, they have an option to change the shortcut.

We do not exit Evernote by default just because we want the clipping to be as fast and smooth as possible. If you explicitly want to exit Evernote each time and don't want the clipper to be running, then yes, you should explicitly do Application > Exit (either from the main application menu or from the tray menu). You can do this also by using the Ctrl+F4 shortcut, which is fast and convenient.

You say that the clipper is too basic and buggy. I would love to hear about bugs you noticed and missing features in it (to make it more powerful and less buggy). For now it does what advertized -- clips selection from any capable application in a single click of a button (i.e. does all the stuff all other dedicated clippers that come with Evernote do, and even more: screen clipping/drawing, etc.).

I understand that you are frustrated with that Evernote bug with freezing, but let's be less emotional and more constructive. We all want to fix bugs as and make application more usable.

#17 rothlis

rothlis

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:49 PM

About bugs:

We know about the issue with high CPU usage after resuming from standby/hibernate. We are trying our best to nail this down. If this was easily reproducible on our side, we would just fix the problem. The problem is not reproducible in our labs, unfortunately, which makes fixing this a hard task. You say 'fix bugs and then implement features'. If we would do this literally, then we would just hold any activity and would not improve the application just because we have this nasty bug. This could last for weeks -- nobody knows -- and holding off new features would not help track this problem down.

Now, about features:

If you do not like the "caps caps" shortcut, you can change it easily (this is what you did already). For me, this is the easiest shortcut possible which doesn't interfere with my normal usage of Caps Lock feature: this is a big key which is easy to press even with the single little finger, which is close to 'A' key (when you press Ctrl+A to select all content in a window and then "caps caps" to clip the selection). For some users this doesn't work for a number of reasons -- that's fine, they have an option to change the shortcut.

We do not exit Evernote by default just because we want the clipping to be as fast and smooth as possible. If you explicitly want to exit Evernote each time and don't want the clipper to be running, then yes, you should explicitly do Application > Exit (either from the main application menu or from the tray menu). You can do this also by using the Ctrl+F4 shortcut, which is fast and convenient.

You say that the clipper is too basic and buggy. I would love to hear about bugs you noticed and missing features in it (to make it more powerful and less buggy). For now it does what advertized -- clips selection from any capable application in a single click of a button (i.e. does all the stuff all other dedicated clippers that come with Evernote do, and even more: screen clipping/drawing, etc.).

I understand that you are frustrated with that Evernote bug with freezing, but let's be less emotional and more constructive. We all want to fix bugs as and make application more usable.

Thanks for the reply.

The freezing is far from the only bug I have experienced; rather, it is only the latest, exarcebated by the new behaviour of Evernote never quitting. About a week after I first found out about and installed Evernote 3 (maybe three or four months ago), I submitted a long list of bugs to the website (via a feedback form). I never got any response (that'll teach me for taking the time to offer feedback), and in the intervening months not a single thing on that list has been fixed. There would've been perhaps 20 bugs, all fairly significant; to be fair, a lot of them were related to the editor which I know you are trying to replace. Unfortunately I didn't keep the list, otherwise I would post it here again.

Re. 100% CPU utilisation, for what it's worth: I have a Dell XPS M1330 laptop, with Vista Business, 4GB of RAM. Software I have running all the time:

NOD32 anti-virus
Jungle Disk
PureText (a clipboard utility)
Firefox

Re. clipper: two main problems in my view. One, in general, HTML capture is very poor, almost unusable. I hardly use this function because it mangles websites so much. Evernote obviously has its own HMTL engine, but it is missing too much functionality, and so I never use it. Two, screen capture is too fiddly. Instead of showing a bounding box that I then have to resize by its corners, what you should present is a cross-hair cursor that I can drag over the area I want to capture, and as soon as I release the mouse the capture is done. I should also have several screen capture options like entire screen, window, active window, etc. For screenshots I currently use SnagIt and paste into Evernote.

Re. caps-lock twice: if I go to hit the A key and instead accidentally hit the caps-lock key, I immediately hit caps-lock again to unset caps-lock. See the problem? Evernote kicks in, takes over the actual caps-lock function (it seems to either disable it completely or reverse it), pops up the capture notification, takes focus away from what I was doing... Incredibly jarring and frustrating.

Cheers!

#18 iafanasyev

iafanasyev

• 1,081 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:14 PM

The freezing is far from the only bug I have experienced; rather, it is only the latest, exarcebated by the new behaviour of Evernote never quitting. About a week after I first found out about and installed Evernote 3 (maybe three or four months ago), I submitted a long list of bugs to the website (via a feedback form). I never got any response (that'll teach me for taking the time to offer feedback), and in the intervening months not a single thing on that list has been fixed. There would've been perhaps 20 bugs, all fairly significant; to be fair, a lot of them were related to the editor which I know you are trying to replace. Unfortunately I didn't keep the list, otherwise I would post it here again.

Please be assured that we look at all feedback we get; if the feedback describes the bug, we certainly file a case. If we don't get back to the customer who reported the bug, well, we simply have no time to reply to everyone with 'thanks, got this'. We get back to the user only if we need some additional information. But we are very thankful to everyone who dares to send feedback to us.

Re. 100% CPU utilisation, for what it's worth: I have a Dell XPS M1330 laptop, with Vista Business, 4GB of RAM. Software I have running all the time:

NOD32 anti-virus
Jungle Disk
PureText (a clipboard utility)
Firefox

Can you try to experiment with disabling automatic synchronization (this is what we suspect to be the cause of the problem)? If the freezing will go away, this will help us to narrow the problem down (and may help you to use Evernote with less problems while we fixing the bug).

Re. clipper: two main problems in my view. One, in general, HTML capture is very poor, almost unusable. I hardly use this function because it mangles websites so much. Evernote obviously has its own HMTL engine, but it is missing too much functionality, and so I never use it.

Do you use other clippers (e.g. for Firefox or IE)? All our clippers produce the same result when clipping HTML. Yes, we are currently stripping down CSS for several reasons (text with CSS is very hard to alter later and to render properly when in web interface). This is not just because of the limitation of the HTML engine we use on Windows.

Two, screen capture is too fiddly. Instead of showing a bounding box that I then have to resize by its corners, what you should present is a cross-hair cursor that I can drag over the area I want to capture, and as soon as I release the mouse the capture is done.

The clipper already has the cross-hair cursor when you move it outside the selection box, so you can either "draw" the box or use handles to fine-tune it. Double-click inside the selected area, and your clip will go into Evernote.

I should also have several screen capture options like entire screen, window, active window, etc.

Our clipper has this also. Right-click when in screen capture mode, and you will discover many handly options and shortcuts.

Re. caps-lock twice: if I go to hit the A key and instead accidentally hit the caps-lock key, I immediately hit caps-lock again to unset caps-lock. See the problem? Evernote kicks in, takes over the actual caps-lock function (it seems to either disable it completely or reverse it), pops up the capture notification, takes focus away from what I was doing... Incredibly jarring and frustrating.

Well, we will try to see what can be the reason of malfunctioning. Current "caps caps" implementation is supposed to be transparent and it doesn't "eat" your single Caps Lock keypresses. If you press Caps Lock twice quickly (a 500ms threshold is used now), then it will only fire. Maybe the option to tweak the threshold will help.

#19 rothlis

rothlis

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:06 PM

Can you try to experiment with disabling automatic synchronization (this is what we suspect to be the cause of the problem)? If the freezing will go away, this will help us to narrow the problem down (and may help you to use Evernote with less problems while we fixing the bug).

I disabled automatic synchronisation, and the problem hasn't occurred in the two or three days since I changed it, so it would appear to be a strong suspect.

Do you use other clippers (e.g. for Firefox or IE)? All our clippers produce the same result when clipping HTML. Yes, we are currently stripping down CSS for several reasons (text with CSS is very hard to alter later and to render properly when in web interface). This is not just because of the limitation of the HTML engine we use on Windows.

Not really. I have the Firefox clipper installed, but I just find the HTML capture too poor. It may capture the raw information, but the presentation is usually pretty bad. I end up selecting text, copying and pasting into Evernote.

The clipper already has the cross-hair cursor when you move it outside the selection box, so you can either "draw" the box or use handles to fine-tune it. Double-click inside the selected area, and your clip will go into Evernote.

Our clipper has this also. Right-click when in screen capture mode, and you will discover many handly options and shortcuts.

Ha!! Amazing! That's great, it's pretty useful!

My confidence is restored. By disabling auto-synchronisation I've managed to sidestep the 100% CPU bug, and the screen capture is pretty good. Thanks again!

#20 vinvox

vinvox

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:10 PM

I just signed up for the premium service yesterday and it seemed to be working fine, syncronizing and everything.
Today, every time the program tries to syncronize i get the message - Synchronization failed could not connect to evernote server. Could you please help with this problem, there doesn't seem to be any point in having the program if I can't synchronize my notes online.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote