(Archived) drag'n'drop an image from mail.app into EN

evermullah

Idea

Hi all,

i can drag an image from a EN note to mail.app and use it in a newly created mail as an attachment.

but the other way around, drag an image from mail.app to EN does not work. (although the mail.app (or EN? i don't know) shows a + (plus sign) which indicates that i can drop that image into a note. but it does not work.

any ideas why?

cheers,

6 replies to this idea

Can you drop the image onto Evernote's icon in the dock?

yes. EN opens then a *new* note. (for *each* dragged image. so if i drag 12 images, EN opens 12 new notes.)

what i meant was, inserting the image(s) into an already opened note.

If you drag the image onto the Finder first, can you then grab that file and drop it onto Evernote?

you mean like saving it first to the desktop and then drag the saved file from the desktop to a opened note? yes, i can.

but thats too simple, you couldnt meant that, i think.

I was just checking whether the problem was the type of the file, or the fact that it was dragged from Mail.app. It sounds like Mail.app is the issue, thanks.

i see.

i tried it now with:

1)

safari on http://adsoftheworld.com/files/images/orbitpiercing.jpg

result: i can drag that image to an open note.

while with firefox, EN converts all the dragged images (jpeg, gif) and creates a zip file and stores it into that open note.

is this correct? why is that?

2)

with cyberduck (a ftp program) on some ftp sites with .txt files or other random files.

result: drag'n'drop does not work here

3)

an embedded image inside an opened Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac Document worked fine.

4) from within the Mac Addressbook while selected some text (Street, phone) from a contact.

result: text is drag'n'droppable, but not the whole vcard itself (if i drag the contact in the "name" row).

so everything works different with different programs :-)

but what about the firefox thing with the zipped images?

Applications can represent data on the clipboard, and via drag-and-drop in a million different ways. Evernote needs to pick one of the representations and figure out how to make it work.

It looks like we're not handling the Firefox drag representation correctly. (If you right-click to copy the image, you can Paste it, so we handle the clipboard version.)

I've filed a bug, thanks.

It looks like we're not handling the Firefox drag representation correctly. (If you right-click to copy the image, you can Paste it, so we handle the clipboard version.)

I've filed a bug, thanks.

Dear Dave, would you kindly update me on this bug? It's been years living with this and I'm sincerely frustrated, specially the way my technical queries are being handled, as a premium user I was expecting a bit more.

I've opened two technical suport tickets and on both I just got a generic response, "we have too many bugs to follow up with users".

As a user I was able to find this topic, and I would simply like to know if Evernote is working on this. I know there's not such a thing as simple bugs, but this one really impacts my workflow and it's on one of the major browsers out there, I bet other users experience this.

Ticket #16051-90816

Ticket #16051-215228

Archived