Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Web

"Missing plug-in" for voice notes on Ubuntu

evernote

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 davidhoenig

davidhoenig

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

I'm using Firefox and Google Chrome on Ubuntu 10.04. When I try to listen to a voice note in my Evernote notebook, I get the following errors:

Chrome: It simply says "Missing plug-in"
FF: I get a pop-up that says I need to install additional software. After going through the steps, it says "No suitable plugins were found"

I know that multimedia does not always work seamlessly on Linux, but is there a way I can manually install the plugin? What codec/player does Evernote need?

Thanks,
David

#2 engberg

engberg

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 12,536 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:36 PM

Evernote supports: WAV, MP3, AMR
The audio format depends on your device ... iPhone uses WAV, Android and BB use AMR

In the web interface, we use the ancient HTML "" element to tell the browser "here's a media clip, play it with anything you can use"
On Mac/Windows, the browser will typically use Quicktime or maybe RealPlayer.

- Dave Engberg (Evernote)

#3 davidhoenig

davidhoenig

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:04 PM

Thanks Dave, that explains it -- I am using an Android mobile device. AMR is supported in Ubuntu, but only in the stand-alone players (e.g. Totem, vlc, mplayer). I haven't been able to figure out how to tell Chrome to use one of these apps to play .amr files, so in the meantime is there a way to save the audio note to my local disk, without having to email it to myself?

#4 engberg

engberg

• 12,536 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:32 PM

You could try the "mobile" web view at: http://www.evernote.com/m

#5 davidhoenig

davidhoenig

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

Unfortunately, I get the same "missing plugin" error even with the mobile site.

#6 engberg

engberg

• 12,536 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:04 PM

I don't think there's a simple way to access the AMR audio from Linux if you don't have a plug-in for your browser that will display it. There's a simple URL that will retrieve the file, but there's no easy way to find it without (e.g.) viewing the source code of the web page or something like that.

If you right-click on the thumbnail of a note from the list of notes and then view that thumbnail in a separate tab, you can change the URL for that thumbnail to replace "/thumb/" with "/debug/" to see the super-secret "debug" page for that note.
From that page, you can click to download any of the attachment files.

#7 ironfroggy

ironfroggy

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:41 PM

Would it be possible via the API to transcode into another format and replace or update the note with one using a desktop-friendly encoding?

AND/OR do you have any plans to add MP3 transcoding to the android app so that we can listen to our audio notes?

#8 engberg

engberg

• 12,536 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:50 PM

Applications on Android don't have the horsepower to convert the device's native audio format to MP3 on the fly, so we need to record with the format supported by your device and then store that. If you had an app on your machine that could play AMR audio, then that should work, however. Perhaps RealPlayer.

#9 sharkey

sharkey

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:07 AM

I'm loving making audio notes while walking the dog. But they won't play in the web client on linux.

My solution to this problem is to use Nevernote (nevernote.sourceforge.net).
Install the program. Press the sync button, it will then ask you for your login details.
Audio notes can now be played at a click of the button.

Note: Synchronising your Evernote account to nevernote for the first time can take a while. But there is an option in the menus, [Online]>[Selective Synchronize] and you can choose just one particular folder to be synchronised.

#10 ufugu

ufugu

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:32 PM

@Sharkey: Thanks so much for this tip, I'm glad I found your post. Nevernote (now NixNote) did the trick.

I've been away from Evernote for a couple of years because some issues like this, but have been re-evaluating it because there is nothing else like it. NixNote is solving my audio issues and a couple others, and it might make Evernote a viable tool for me.

#11 gfeitser

gfeitser

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

Thank you engberg for all the great input.

Here is the way that I deal with the issue.
-In Chrome, I open up the note. It says that the plug in is missing. I Right click and hit inspect elements.
-Something like this will show up. <embed attachmentstyle="button" filesize="56.0 KB" name="e35acc3d-4fef-4d63-9da4-b97bb3a986d5" filename="Private.amr" src="https://www.evernote.com/shard/Private.amr?search=music" class="en-ignore" autostart="false">
-Right click on the "https://www.evernote.com/shard/Private.amr?search=music"
-Click on the "Copy Link Address"
-Hit Ctrl(Control) + T
-Paste the link into the address bar.
-Delete the "?search=music" at the end of the link
-Hit enter
-After it downloads, use a stand alone program to play the file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote