(Archived) Merge frustration

tshields

Idea

Hi all,

I'm a relatively new Evernote user, but already a big fan. I had my assistant scan over a hundred documents (nearly 1000 pages), but then found out that she had done them one page at a time, not as collated documents, so they came in as 1000 separate notes. I'd really like to merge the documents back together, but the pages always end up in exactly the wrong order, not to mention the ugly header between pages. Here are my questions:

Is there a way to merge notes without the header between the pdfs?

Is there a way to merge notes in the opposite order from the order they were scanned in?

Is there a way to select several notes and have all the pdfs exported to a 3rd party app that can merge them?

Is there an Automator script that I can modify to merge notes the way I want?

Any other ways I can solve this short of re-scanning all 1000 pages?

Thanks for the help!

-ts-

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Hope you get an answer.

I have a much simpler question. What is the controlling factor that determines the sequence of the merge? 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc

I have seen several conflicting replies from users and from Evernote. Sometimes it might depend on the platform, and sometimes it depends on which note was entered first. Due to the number of different answers, I wonder if there is any internal software code to address the merge sequence.

It would be wonderful if we could get a firm and definitive answer to this issue.

For instance, the merge sequence will be based on the Date + Time created.

This would allow the user to adjust the Date Created to allow a rational merge.

If there is no way to sequence the merge, then just let us know.

I had my assistant scan over a hundred documents (nearly 1000 pages), but then found out that she had done them one page at a time, not as collated documents, so they came in as 1000 separate notes.

Oh, dear... :shock: Do you still have the source files?

I'm PC and I use Paperport to manage my document/PDF scanning. Based upon that, Paperport allows you to select pdfs & "stack" them. You could assemble each document outside of EN & then add them into EN (again) once they are correct.

Note, when you merge two Evernotes that contain PDFs, it doesn't make one PDF...you get one note with two PDFs. So that's another reason to assemble the pdfs outside of Evernote.

But honestly based upon my experience with Evernote & Paperport, IMO, it may just be easier/quicker to bag the existing scans & have your assistant rescan everything & keep all pages of each document together in a single pdf b/c for that many pages, you're going to end up spending a lot of time trying to put everything back together.

(Hopefully, the assistant kept all hard copy pages together for each document & in proper order...)

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll probably end up re-scanning as you suggest. I was hoping for some cool automator script I could use on selected notes to export them to a PDF merge program and then re-import them, but that will probably take longer to write and debug than just re-scanning. Thanks,

-ts-

Archived