(Archived) Opening a zip file attachment

enSprout

I have a note with a zip file attached. When I try to open it in evernote it tells me there is no suitable application installed to support the file type. Does anyone know if there is something I can install that would let me work with zip file attachments in evernote? I'm using a Nexus One phone.

I'm not sure it's an EN issue. Can you email a zip file to your phone & open it that way?

You know this actually is an Evernote issue.

As an experiment, I just tried opening a word and excel doc with Evernote Android. A bunch of gibberish text opens, and a message pops up saying there's no application to support this file type.

Well, there is an application, two on my system, that CAN open office files, but that's besides the point. Even if Evernote doesn't know what to do with the attachment, surely it should let me download it to my sd card, so I can open it directly in another file. It shouldn't be opening the attachment itself as gibberish text.

I'm not sure it's an EN issue. Can you email a zip file to your phone & open it that way?

You know this actually is an Evernote issue.

As an experiment, I just tried opening a word and excel doc with Evernote Android. A bunch of gibberish text opens, and a message pops up saying there's no application to support this file type.

Well, there is an application, two on my system, that CAN open office files, but that's besides the point. Even if Evernote doesn't know what to do with the attachment, surely it should let me download it to my sd card, so I can open it directly in another file. It shouldn't be opening the attachment itself as gibberish text.

I'm simply trying to help OP diagnose his problem. If he cannot open the attachment emailed to him, then it's not an EN issue. If he can, as in your case, then the problem is escalated to the next level. I can't speak to EN handling attachments on Android, since I don't have an Android phone. However, if EN for Android does not fully support opening attachments, at this time, perhaps OP could email the file to himself & open it that way.

I tried emailing the zip file to myself. Yahoo Mail shows a similar message to Evernote - can't find an application to open it. Google Mail doesn't let me do anything with the attachment. So, I transferred the zip file to my phone's SD card using USB. I could then use my zip application to open it.

I understand that this may not be an Evernote issue, but maybe someone reading these forum posts has other ideas about how to configure an android phone so that zip files in evernote can be opened?

I found a solution that works with email attached zip files, but not zip files in Evernote. For email attached zip files, I installed an app called Astro. Somehow this works with both email programs to allow the zip file to be downloaded to the SD card. Maybe Evetnote needs to hook into the same mechanism.

Archived